When can you stop burping?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by [email protected], May 22, 2008.

1. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

This sounds crazy that I am asking this because I have an 18 mo. old, but I seriously can't remember when you don't need to burp your babies anymore. I try to burp half way through and at the end but sometimes halfway through they scream if you take the bottle out of their mouth. THanks!

2. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

Our Ped had us stop at 2 months as he said all it did was aggravate the reflux. My kids never seemed to suffer because we stopped!

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I think we stopped around 8 months or so when I noticed that they were doing it more on their own.

4. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

From what I have read they say when the baby can sit up but I still put Molly on my shoulder to soothe her.

5. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

we stopped right around the time they started solids, around 6 months

sandra

6. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I think it was like 5 mo or so. But by 6 mo for sure. When they could sit up I never did. They burp on their own.

7. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

My boys both sit up and they are crawling, but I still burp them.

Sometimes about an hour after I put them down for bed at night they will wake up crying because they need to be burped. I guess it must be different for everyone.

8. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Funny you mentioned this, I was thinking about this today! We do still burp because otherwise Jack would for sure spit everything up. I think I did hear that once they sit on their own you can stop. I don't know though...for sure.

9. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

We burped them for the first 6 weeks or so, but they haven't needed it since then - unless I hear them gulping alot of air when they are feeding, in which case I stop the feeding, burp them, and then resume feeding. But, for the most part, if they have to burp, they do it on their own. Otherwise, we could thump and thump on their little backs, and nothing would come out. Of course, anytime they cry or fuss at the end of a feeding, I sit them upright and try to get a burp out... but this is a rarity.