When can child blow his own nose?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by BoysInTheHouse, Apr 16, 2007.

1. BoysInTheHouse

BoysInTheHouse Well-Known Member

Our pediatrician says one of the reasons our oldest DS got an ear infection is because he can't blow his nose and keeps sniffling. So, I'm wondering when did your child figure out how to blow his nose?

2. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

Well...my boys are 7 1/2 and they still have trouble blowing their noses good. :rolleyes: If I just give them the tissue to do it themselves, they usually end up wadding it up and sort of blowing and wiping. I've shown them SOOOO many times, to not wad it up and to blow hard and THEN wipe. They're boys, they just don't get it and to tell you the truth, at this age, they could truly care less if their faces are covered with dirt and snot! YUK!! :p

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Hmm, I was going to say around 5 or 6. I think it can easily be taught, but perhaps you need to "make" him do it. But I'm not sure. My boys are 12 and they'd rather snuff it up, than to blow. :rolleyes:

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Marc is pretty good at it now. Jon needs my help.

5. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I really don't remember exactly, but I think they are capable of it by age 5. Getting them to DO IT is another matter :unsure: .

6. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

My boys are 7-1/2 and still can't do it. They make a blowing sound with their mouths, but no air actually comes out of their noses....

7. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

K&K can both blow their noses, they have a little trouble with the final wipe/closing of the tissue but in general they do pretty well. I would say they had just turned 5 when they started to be able to do it. What I have been working on lately is hand washing afterwards or at least using some Purell if we are not near a sink.

8. heathernd

heathernd Well-Known Member

My boys learned pretty early (around 3.5 - 4) because they have allergies, but that doesn't mean they do it like they should. Like Kim's boys, they would rather sniff than blow when they're busy doing something else, but they keep tissues in their pockets nearly all the time. When they use it up - they go get more. Now, if we could just get Jackson to wipe his own bottom without making a mess.....

9. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

My kids were prodigies in this department. :lol: They were able to blow at 2.

10. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Both of mine are blowing their own noses.

11. momoftwoangels

momoftwoangels Well-Known Member

The girls can blow there own noses now, but I have to stand there and coach them and hold the tissue, :D

12. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Ask some one with severe sinus problems let me do a bit of explain on nose blowing and snuffling. My nose was broke at birth and it case a diviated semptem. I was never able to blow my nose until my first reconstuctive surgery when I was 12. I remember years and years of being yelled at for not blowing my nose and snuffling all the time. Well the thing was I could get air in but not out so snuffling was actually moving some of the snot where blowing did nothing. Sometimes it is still easier to bring air in and get more out of my head than to blow. If he continues to have recurrent ear problems try and get him refered to an ENT. He might have under lieing problems such as pollups(growths inside the nose).

NOTE: I have never heard of a dr saying a kid has a ear infection from not blowing their nose. I have heard of colds going into ear infections though so maybe there is a bit of truth in it.

HTH
    Tabbi

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Ask some one with severe sinus problems let me do a bit of explain on nose blowing and snuffling. My nose was broke at birth and it case a diviated semptem. I was never able to blow my nose until my first reconstuctive surgery when I was 12. I remember years and years of being yelled at for not blowing my nose and snuffling all the time. Well the thing was I could get air in but not out so snuffling was actually moving some of the snot where blowing did nothing. Sometimes it is still easier to bring air in and get more out of my head than to blow. If he continues to have recurrent ear problems try and get him refered to an ENT. He might have under lieing problems such as pollups(growths inside the nose).

NOTE: I have never heard of a dr saying a kid has a ear infection from not blowing their nose. I have heard of colds going into ear infections though so maybe there is a bit of truth in it.

P.S. I hate my nose. The reconstructive surgery did nothing for the outward appearance. I have my grandfather's ugly fat nose. I wish I had a cute nose like the twins

HTH
    Tabbi