What's the real info on orajel or Hylands tablets for teething?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kristie75, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

My babies have been crying since 7pm and we've tried everything but an oral med. We did use Tylenol but it's not helping. I've seen warnings not to use oral meds and cautions that Orajel numbs the whole mouth and can impede the gag reflex and it doesn't last long anyway, and I heard from a mom I know that the Hylands tabs contain a narcotic and her nephew passed out (went unconscious) after having one. I would like to heed these warnings but nothing else is working. I'm desperate and will try anything that will help. Is it okay to use?

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people who have used the Hylands tablets and liked them. I have no idea what's in them and am not a big believer in homeopathics in general, but I believe they are safe. I wouldn't worry too much about something that happened to one person. I have tried them a few times but didn't find that they helped that much -- OTOH, Tylenol usually works for us, and all kids are different. I say give them a try.

If you do use Orajel, use just a teeny tiny bit. But I think that's worth a try too.

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Hyland's teething tablets don't contain a narcotic. They do contain Belladonna, but the amount is so minuscule that it is harmless to the baby. Besides they wouldn't sell them if they were poisonous/dangerous/narcotic. I think Orajel is ok if used in moderation. There are times it was the only thing that helped with James. But, I think they are safe to use. Thousands of people in the US have used them with no ill effects. I'm sad to hear about your friends nephew, but adverse affects can happen with any medication.

4. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I know a few people that swear by the Hylands teething tablets. I used them on one of my girls and it took the fussies away quickly. She is normally not so fussy but was very much so when she was teething. HTH!

5. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Hyland's have worked for us so far. I usually get the tablet wet and start dissolving it and then let it dissolve the rest of the way in their mouths. I swear by it. They usually quiten down in less than a minute after I give it to them.

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I like Hylands best(the nephew probably was allergic to something in the tabs, which is always a risk). Mine are cutting their eye teeth and we used some yesterday and they helped. I do have orajel too which I use on occasion if the pain is really but.

7. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

I asked the pedi about them, he said if they work, great, go ahead and use them, just in moderation. He said I would be lucky if they worked for more than a few minutes, but sometimes that few minutes of peace is all they need to finally fall asleep. I ended up never using anything though. I would occasionally give some tylenol or mortin.

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

They do sell orajel swabs that has the numbing agent in the q-tip and you can apply DIRECTLY to the spot and not mess with the whole mouth. (If you are careful you can get more than one use out of them)

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I'd never heard that about Orajel - I use the swabs and Tylenol...

the only thing Hylands did for my kids was make them throw up - they were useless

10. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

Hyland's worked for us in the early days of teething. Eventually, I stopped giving them because no teeth were coming in and it seemed senseless to give pills for 3-4 months! Mine are super slow teethers. DS FINALLY cut two teeth in the past couple of weeks, but he's been getting Motrin/Benedryl for his sickness and I didn't want to use anything on top of that.

11. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

Neither Hylands nor Orajel worked for us. When my twins need pain relief, I go right to Motrin. Even Tylenol doesn't help teething pain. My Ped said that it's OK.

12. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

I used Hyland's, tylenol & motrin.
    I don't know how true it is, but my MIL says the peds in her town say that while Oragel helps with the pain, it makes their gums tough & harder for the teeth to break through.