What's the nicest baby/shower gift you've recieved?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Overachiever, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I've been washing and folding and organizing now that I'm allowing myself the hope that I'll be able to take these babies home with me shortly after they're born. It's got me thinking about all the wonderful people in our life who have helped us! I literally wrote 75 thank you cards to friends and family who gifted us in one way or another.

The most thoughtful and creative gift we got was also the strangest:
    The guys in my office pooled their money and bought a new set of tires for my car! One of them used to sell cars and had noticed months ago that my tires were bald. He was worried about me driving around in the winter pregnant or with babies on those tires. Wasn't that the sweetest, most different baby shower gift?

Just wondering what you've loved!?

2. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I've been washing and folding and organizing now that I'm allowing myself the hope that I'll be able to take these babies home with me shortly after they're born. It's got me thinking about all the wonderful people in our life who have helped us! I literally wrote 75 thank you cards to friends and family who gifted us in one way or another.

The most thoughtful and creative gift we got was also the strangest:
    The guys in my office pooled their money and bought a new set of tires for my car! One of them used to sell cars and had noticed months ago that my tires were bald. He was worried about me driving around in the winter pregnant or with babies on those tires. Wasn't that the sweetest, most different baby shower gift?

Just wondering what you've loved!?

3. Mrs.B

Mrs.B Well-Known Member

Wow - that was very thoughtful of them, talk about being safety minded. Those guys are really looking out for all of you [​IMG]

I just got a peg perego twin stroller from one of my vendors this week - it's was the nicest thing because he's an older gentleman and one of my bosses happened to mention to him that I was having twins. I called his secretary to get his address to send a thank you card and she told me that as soon as he found out, he immediately called her and told her "go get her a carriage for those babies" - she thought - a horse drawn carriage? he he he

4. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Awww, how sweet!!!! Nice to have the guys in your office looking out for you!!!

My nicest shower gift was being surprised by my brother, whom my parents flew in from California to be there - I hadn't seen him since the summer. They kept it all a secret, I had no idea, and they said they wanted to give me my present ... and out comes my brother, grinning away ... I bawled!!! Greatest present ever. [​IMG]

Also, a friend of mine knitted two little hoodie coats with matching little blankets, they are adorable. And my parents gave us the money for a Duoglider Travel System and the second car seat, that was awesome!

5. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

i think that the nicest thing i ever received was my friends and family just showing up at the shower. with my first 2 children i invited a lot of people and only 2 people showed up. that so dissapointed me. all of the friends i thought i had were not true friends. so it is very important for my family and friends to be there even if i don't receive any gifts. they are the gift for me.
    lots of love, meshell

6. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I haven't had a shower for the twins yet...but with my first pregnancy my friend asked everyone to bring a book (signed inside) instead of a card with their gift. I got a great little library started for my kids in one day! It was such a great gift...and when I read the books to my ds I am reminded of who gave them to us.

7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I already had a lot of stuff since these are not my first. From 3 friends (play group) I received a $275 gift card for a spa day ... can't wait to book it!

8. BaaRamEwe

BaaRamEwe Well-Known Member

A friend of mine took an ultrasound pic and had it framed with apeom she wrote about the girls. Then she made little braclets with their names and attached them as well. It now hangs in the girls room.

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My boss bought me my double stroller, both carseats, my diaper bag stuffed with everything, 5 bags of diapers and 4 outfits!

10. Inlowtwins

Inlowtwins Well-Known Member

People are so sweet, we got so many wonderful gifts. The absolute best gift was from my grandparents. My grandmother, who was a twin, said since it was her fault [​IMG] they would buy all of our diapers!! Isn't that fabulous??!! We have been thru so many so far!

11. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

That is so sweet! Those tires really were a gift from the heart. [​IMG]

Some of my favorite items were the handmade ones. My aunt's mom knit the girls a set of caps, we got 5 sets of hats/sweaters from my uncle's mom, Paul's best friend's wife knit us two blankets, and my aunt knit us two blankets as well. Those are all items that got a lot of use. [​IMG]

12. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I can finally answer this! We had our shower yesterday. I had so much fun! I would have a hard time picking out a favorite though. We already have a ton of clothes people have given us, so we really weren't wanting more, but one friend used a clothes line and pinned several outfits (boy and girl), socks, hooded towels, etc. to it and carefully laid it in a basket. It came out of the basket like a magicians hankerchief....very cool. And although we didn't originally want more clothes, they are just too cute... we can't return them!
    Another good one was a picture frame, maybe from Babies R Us, that says "What a Pair!" I love it!
    I have relatives that flew in from Italy for the holidays the day before and although they were fighting some major jet lag, managed to make it to the shower!
    Um... lets see... there were so many great gifts and moments yesterday... but I don't want to make this into a novel so I'll stop here! Long story short... it was a wonderful day!
    Helen

13. karyinny

karyinny Member

The best shower gift I got when I had my son was pre-addressed and pre-stamped Thank You cards for everyone that attended the shower. i did have to write the note, but everything else was done!

14. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

Shortly after the date I conceived my singleton, DH's favorite aunt (Sally) died after a long battle with cancer. Though she was my 'aunt-in-law' I loved her dearly and she was my favorite, too. Later in my pregnancy when DH's family had a 'their side of the family' shower for me, Sally's hubby, Uncle Bob, attended in her place. He's a real man's man type and was not in his element among all the squawking older ladies there....but he said Sally would have wanted him to represent her because she loved me and he was so sorry she'd never get to meet my baby. Sob! Having him there just meant the world to me.

15. HelenClyde

HelenClyde Well-Known Member

We don´t have babyshowers here, but we got a great present for our daughter´s baptism:

My husbands friends build a large wooden dollhouse with all furniture and carpets and stuff, that was really cute. And when they new I was being pregnant, they recorded a tape for my daughter, telling fairy tales supported by music and sounds, making a childrens story tape for my daughter. It was so funny listening to all those big guys, reading out "Little red riding hood" with various voices [​IMG]