What's the earliest your twins were born without NICU time

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Rose Wright, Feb 4, 2010.

?

How early were they born?

1. 35 weeks

50.0%
  2. 34 weeks

50.0%
  3. 33 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 32 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 31 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 30 weeks or earlier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rose Wright

Rose Wright Well-Known Member

So I am checking into the hospital later today for monitoring, since the babies' fluid is low. I had a steroid shot yesterday, and am going to get another when I check in later. They said if the babies deteriorate they might have to do an emergency C-section. As you can see by my ticker, I'm still under 28 weeks. I'm wondering if there's any chance of them being born in a couple weeks, and actually not needing NICU.

Thanks!

2. aligmamma

aligmamma Well-Known Member

I don't see how it's possible to avoid NICU time in a couple of weeks. Mine were born at 35 weeks and 6 days and 1 had to stay for 3 weeks. She was just too small and needed help learning to eat. Her digestive system just wasn't quite ready. I did have the shots and their lungs have been fine. I have a friend who's baby was born at 34 weeks and he only stayed 1 week. Good luck and just do whatever they tell you to keep those babies in longer!

3. aimeecooper@yahoo.com

[email protected] Active Member

Mine were 36 weeks 4 days, 5lb 12oz and 5lb 14oz, normal vaginal delivery, and one of them still spent a couple of days in the NICU while they got her glucose levels stabilized. It is definitely possible, but it's also good to be mentally prepared for it being a very strong possibility.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think around 34 weeks is kind of the semi-dividing line. A good friend of mine had her singleton at 34 weeks, and even with the steriod shots, she still spent several weeks in the NICU. She was about 4.5 lbs or so. It's rare for babies born earlier than 34 wks to come home without any NICU time at all, but it's possible it'll be a short stay. There's to many variables to be able to predict what'll happen until after the babies come out. :hug:

My oldest ds was born at 36 wks and spent a week in the NICU for sleep apnea and reflux He was 5.13 lbs. The twins were born at 36 wks 2 days, and Liam spent 6 hrs in the NICU because he didn't want to breath when he came out. Rylee was 7.2 lbs and Liam was 6.4 lbs.

5. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 34 weeks, 5 days (just said 35 weeks in the poll to make it easier). My daughter was 5 pounds, 9 ounces and spent 10 days in the NICU as a feeder/grower. She probably wouldn't have been in so long if her brother wasn't there and I think they were just kind of keeping them together. My son was 4 pounds, 14 ounces and was in for 12 days and he had some breathing issues and didn't move to the feeder/grower - open crib stage until the second week but got to go home pretty quickly! I agree with PP, anything is possible but I would prepare yourself for a NICU stay unless something drastically changes and you don't deliver for 8 more weeks! I know it is hard, but the NICU is the best place for them if they are born early and often times it is just somewhere they need to be to get stronger and learn to eat and keep their body temperature!

6. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 35w4d vaginally and only stayed overnigt at NICU then they were released to ped nursery. They went home with me 2 days after delivery. Baby A weight was 6.9lbs and Baby B was 6.4lbs both were 19inches long.

7. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 37w1d, but Kepler still spent 4 days in the NICU for breathing and basic monitoring. So I don't think you can ever really be sure.

Good luck!! Keep us posted!

8. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 36.5 weeks. DD stayed in the NICU overnight. DS required no NICU time. I wish they could have stayed inside me longer, though. They were horrible at nursing for the first 3 months.

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I wish you the best! Please visit our NICU forum as there are a ton of us who have BTDT. My boys were born at 33 weeks 1 day and spent 1 month in the nicu. The NICU nurses told me that white boys stay the longest and are nicknamed Wimpy White Boys.

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were born at 34 weeks 5 days, Alice was 4# 14 oz, Royce was 5# 4oz and neither stayed in the NICU.

11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

*hugs* to you!
    Honestly, I would say that if they were born in a couple weeks they would most likely spend some time in NICU...usually it's pretty tough to avoid if they are born before 34 weeks and even many born after 34 weeks still need some.
    Mine were born at 35.5 weeks and didnt need NICU at all, they were 4 and 5 pounds at birth.
    I am hoping that your babies will do fine and be able to stay put for a while longer. Take care!!

12. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Been there, had those. Born vag at 35w 5d, 5.7 and 5.8lbs, no resp problems, 9 apgars, and they STILL did 2wks in the clink because they were WWB's. Growing and feeding, growing and feeding...

I highly doubt they would avoid NICU at that age and THAT'S GOOD. It seems awful, but trust me...it's the best place for preemies. They have the best shot at a good, complication-free start PLUS, you'll receive an incredible eduation in higher-level infant care that you wouldn't get if they were just sent home with you. Knowing what I know now, I'd be pretty scared to be on my own with babies that early. You don't even know what it is you should know, you know? heehee. Really, it is for the best.

:hug: Hang in there!! I hope everything goes as smoothly for all of you as possible!

Eve

13. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have any experience with preemies but wanted to wish you good luck! Be sure to check out the NICU forum and let us know how things are going when you get a chance. :hug:

14. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Good luck. Mine were born at 31 weeks 6 days and spent 19 days as feeder/growers in the NICU. It can be scary at first, but then you will relax and realize that they are getting the best possible care and you can get a little rest before they come home. :hug: Visit us in the NICU forum if you want. The link is in my siggy!

15. angieb1979

angieb1979 Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 34 1/2 weeks at 5lb 3 oz and 4lb 10 oz. They stayed for 9 days. I was sad for it but at the same time they gave them the best care possible there. It'll be hard but just know that if you do have to stay then you will learn a lot from the NICU nurses. Ours had feeding issues, they just weren't interested. I would of been in a world of trouble if they just sent me home, I wouldn't of known what to do... Good luck to you!!

16. Rose Wright

Thanks for all the encouragement! I guess I made it sound like I would take them out early even if the doc said they needed NICU... that's not what I meant at all! I was just hoping we were getting close to the time when it wouldn't even be needed. Not sure when I will be getting on here again, only my DH has a laptop so I'll have to ask him to bring it to me sometimes. (If it even works in the hospital.) I will be leaving for the hospital in a few minutes. So pray for the babies to be able to cook longer! Thanks!

17. eliseypoo7147

eliseypoo7147 Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 34w1d and were in the NICU for 5 days (because at our hospital any baby under 36 HAD to do 5 days in there). I hope that your babies stay in and get bigger & stronger for a few more weeks!! :)

18. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

it didn't let me vote bc my LO's didn't have any NICU time.
    they were born at 35w5d and were just about 5 lbs.

19. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Mine don't count in this as it's pretty obvious that they had to stay in the clink (love that, btw :) ), but I just wanted to tell you that I'm thinking of you and your babies and praying that they stay put.

This is kind of why I offered my contact info before but I didn't want to scare you since you said things were going so well. After surgery, we went from better to worse to better (and then developed unrelated xomplications). Please, really, feel free to get in touch with me. I'm nowhere near an expert but maybe I can offer a shoulder.

20. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

good luck!! Mine were born at 36w on the dot but were the size of 32 weekers at 3 lbs 8 oz and 4 lbs 8 oz but they went home with me as their lungs were developed and their sucking reflex worked...they were on 24 cal formula for a while though...

21. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

I have been there, girl! I had a preterm labour scare at 28 weeks and I was petrified that my babes would be born that week. I think you need to prepare yourself for some NICU time if your babies are born in the next few weeks. Luckily I made it to 35 weeks, 2 days (considered "late" preterm) and my girls only spent 2 nights and 1 day in the NICU. After that they stayed with me in the hospital room until I left a few days later. They were 5lbs, 5oz and 4lbs, 13oz at birth. Good luck and try not to worry - even if your babies arrive sooner than expected and have to spend some time in the NICU they will be taken care of wonderfully by the NICU staff and will be coming home with you before you know it!

22. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

My boys were 29 weekers and spent 8 weeks in the NICU, so they came home 3 weeks before their due date which is when we were told to expect them to come home.

23. SStwins

SStwins Member

Mine were born at 35 weeks, 4lb 10 oz and 5lb 10oz. Baby A spent a few hours in NICU to had her glucose levels stabilized.
    Good luck!

24. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I've had two NICU experiences:

2/2007 - Singlton DS spent 5 weeks in the NICU - all but the last night was Level III - for surfactant deficiency - numerous pneumothorax issues, chest tubed, oscillator, etc. Born at 39+3, 6 lbs. 14 oz. WWM syndrome.

9/2009 - Baby A spent 4 nights because he could not maintain his body temp - born at 39+5, 5 lbs. Baby B was 6 lbs. 11 oz. - they were mono-di and had some TTTS going on. Baby A made it through the minimum required stay at our hospital - I think 48 hours in the isolette then 48 hours maintaining his temp, as a minimum - on the first try.

25. Rose Wright

Thank you all for your concern & prayers, and all your stories! I am still in the hospital for now, my DH brought his laptop so I could catch up on some stuff. The babies seem to have improved a decent amount, and they might let me come home later this week! Then I would just have to come in for frequent appointments.

It might be a couple more days before I can get on here again...

26. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

The earliest a baby can coordinate suck, swallow and breathe at the same time is 34 weeks. Before that, they can't really nurse or bottle feed safely. At 34 weeks, some babies are ready to eat and go home and some need help learning. It also depends on the size and whether they can keep their body temp up. By 35 weeks, most community hospitals without a NICU will be willing to deliver you because the babies usually do fine at that gestation.