What's The Deal With Peanut Butter?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sara26, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

I thought it was okay to give your kids peanut butter after their first birthday, as long as you weren't concerned about allergies. My SIL told me that her ped said not to give peanut butter until after their 3rd birthday, regardless of whether you're concerned about allergies. She said this is the new guideline. She also said to stop giving it to your kids even if they've had it many times without any reactions. Anyone else hear about this? And if I've already given my kids peanut butter and they haven't had a reaction, shouldn't it be okay to keep giving it to them?

2. Jon&Angie

Jon&Angie Active Member

Madalynn is 2 and it's her FAVORITE food. I'm not taking it away from her.

3. Lilpark

Lilpark Well-Known Member

I think they just say that because of the allergies and the choking hazard......I know lots of people who give their kids peanut butter before 3........Its up to you

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With my oldest we were able to give it to her at 15 months, we did so with no problems. Now we were told with Emilie and Trevor to wait until they are 2. I think a lot of pedi.s are waiting longer because there are so many different peanut allergies out there. I was kind of bummed about having to wait, but it isn't that big of a deal because there are so many other foods out there they can have. I would not want to have to deal with a peanut allergy. And we have no history of peanut allergies in either family.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Sarah, I had that fear as well. I had been giving it for months and read on here that you shouldn't do it - at my next appt. I asked my pedi and she said they are fine, that they would have reacted if they were going to. So I continued and we have been fine. I think your family history is more indicative than not, but I'm not a Dr., so.... you have have to go with your own gut!

6. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We waited until 2 primarily because there is a first cousin who had a severe peanut allergy and Melissa had shown a mild reaction to peas and hummus (both also legumes). We actually had them tested before giving it to them, but only because of these concerns. Our pediatrician said that if we hadn't had any concern his recommendation is usually between 18 and 24 months it's okay. It's a great source of protein and kids love it generally.

7. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

The kids ped said one year is ok for peanut butter as long there is no allergies in family. My boys LOVE IT too. I thought I waited until 2 for my older girl. Yes big gobs can be a choking hazard as well. :p

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We gave it to mine at a year and never had any problems. They eat something with peanuts or other nuts about once a week. A legume allergy may not mean that you have a peanut allergy. I have a legume allergy but can eat peanuts.

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Our ped told us both things -- he said the official recommendation is 3 years (even if you have no reason to suspect allergies), but when I said we had no food allergies on either side of the family, he said to go ahead and try it. :rolleyes: I am still going to try to wait till they're 2 -- I figure I've waited this long, I might as well wait a bit longer. I do believe it makes a difference. It's not like they're either born with an allergy or not -- giving it to them at a younger age actually increases the chance of them having an allergy.