What was your babies' first food?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tcap, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tcap

tcap Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide what to feed my daughters first. They are currently eating rice and oatmeal baby cereals. One dd is now having fewer dirty diapers, and I've heard that bananas can cause constipation so I'm thinking we shouldn't start with them. I'm curious to what foods you all started with.

I'm getting very excited to start making their food! :)

2. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We started with veggies first and did sweet potatoes.

3. rmcobb12

rmcobb12 Well-Known Member

We started with veggies first and did carrots.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Sweet potatoes

5. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

bananas and no constipation.

6. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

sweet potatoes.

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sweet taters here too:)

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Jun 9 2009, 07:40 PM) [snapback]1347972[/snapback]
    Sweet potatoes

Yep! Same here! It was a favorite of all of my kiddos!

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Yes, first rice cereal and then always sweet potatoes. (homemade)

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Rice cereal was first and then carrots.

11. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Jun 9 2009, 07:40 PM) [snapback]1347972[/snapback]
    Sweet potatoes

Yep, but for constipation we gave them pears, which was great.

12. carlaj23

carlaj23 Well-Known Member

Not there yet with my girls, but I made sweet potatoes for my DS. He loved them. My pediatrician at the time recommended doing the orange/yellow veggies first, then green/other veggies and then fruits. Worked great for us and that's how I intend to introduce them to my girls, although in case of constipation, I may introduce prunes before I get through all the veggies.

13. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

our first non-cereal food was avocado.

14. EmilyorMLE

EmilyorMLE Well-Known Member

Sweet potatoes here too!! That's kinda crazy that so many people started with them! They ended up being really gassy though, don't know if it was a coincidence or not. I gave them their second food, green beans tonight and they LOVED them. I'm so happy!

15. rumbo

rumbo Well-Known Member

We only recently started solids and began with pears. Next was peas and apples and I have sweet potatoes in the freezer as our next "new" food.

16. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Carrots were first then sweet potatoes at 5.5 months. We didn't introduce fruits until closer to 7 months.

17. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

Butternut squash, then sweet potatoes, then pears

18. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(irisflower @ Jun 9 2009, 11:04 PM) [snapback]1348232[/snapback]
    our first non-cereal food was avocado.

Heh, our first non-rice cereal food was avocado too. You should have seen their faces; they looked like we were trying to poison them! Next we did sweet potatoes, which went over much better. They still love them.

Now I give them avocado mixed with bananas. It still tastes like banana, but has the creaminess and good fats of the avocado.

19. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(tcmom @ Jun 9 2009, 06:02 PM) [snapback]1347939[/snapback]
    I'm trying to decide what to feed my daughters first. They are currently eating rice and oatmeal baby cereals. One dd is now having fewer dirty diapers, and I've heard that bananas can cause constipation so I'm thinking we shouldn't start with them. I'm curious to what foods you all started with.

I'm getting very excited to start making their food! :)

With my boys...prunes...the rice cereal and oatmeal made them very constipated.

With baby girl...green peas and thus far those and sweet potatoes are her favorite...she hates/cries when you feed her fruit.

I would note that the "root vegetables" also have a tendency to stop them up a bit too (bananas too of course). Whenever constipated or a bit backed up prunes or pears do the trick! I alternated constipating veggies/fruits with those that weren't so constipating so that generally kept things in check. If we did sweet potatoes, the next day we did pears, if we did carrots, then we did peas, etc, etc.

20. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Sweet potatoes here.

21. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

veggies first - carrots. Didnt care for them at first, but now they like them.

22. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

We did carrots first, then sweet potatoes then avacodo...which they laugh hysterically when I say (err...sing) Guacamooooooleeeee....baby style...
    they LOVE avacodo!! that is by far their favorite, and parsnip is a close second (i don't like either one).
    They don't care for peas and peaches...but love their pears and mango!

Have fun making their food, I just love it...we make their cereal too! It really is alot easier and we are saving sooooo much money!

Good luck!

23. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

We did squash/sweet potatoes and then followed closely with pears and have went from there! They have loved them all - except DS doesn't like green beans or peas. LOL

24. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

Sweet potatoes (didn't like it), then apple sauce (liked it, but like bananas it's constipating), pear sauce - much better results!

25. SquaredN

SquaredN Member

Butternut squash.

26. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

Only unripe bananas cause constipation. Very ripe bananas can actually aid in digestion.

27. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Carrots or Greenbeans were all of my children's first non-cereal food.

28. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

We did avacado [smashed with a fork], then sweet potato [baked in the oven], then carrots [blended in the food processor].

29. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

Avacado...we never did rice cereal, then we did bananas

30. angelf

angelf Well-Known Member

QUOTE(snoopytwins @ Jun 10 2009, 01:40 PM) [snapback]1348863[/snapback]
    With my boys...prunes...the rice cereal and oatmeal made them very constipated.

Same here.

31. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

Yellow/orange was recommended as first foods by our ped - but he also gave us the OK for avacado. Then green veggies, fruits and chicken. So we started out with carrots, then avacado, then sweet potatoes. They were OK with avacado in the beginning, and now they loooove it as a finger food! I believe that banana and pears were 2 of the first fruits they got - then apple and peach.

32. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Almost all of my kids' first foods were not planned. Ainsley was refried beans, Sierra was peas, and both of the boys had ice cream (yes, ice cream). Officially though ;), Ainsley and Sierra both started with peas, Dax had apples, and Ewan had bananas.

33. ilovemonkeys

ilovemonkeys Well-Known Member

We started with peas because the pediatric GI doctor told us they cause less gas & tummy problems.