What unusual items do your kids sleep with?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AimeeThomp, Jan 19, 2009.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine like to sleep with their books. They read so much that a lot of the time when it's nap time or bed time they each have a book in hand, so I just let them hang on to it. Lots of times I find them asleep on top of a hard covered book or hugging a book. It's so odd, I don't see how that is comfortable! So what odd items do your babies like to sleep with?

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

All these threads have me thinking, I have the most unusual kids because up until very recently, they have slept with nothing. :blink: I would put stuff in their crib and they'd hand it back for me to remove. Silly girls.

3. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

My kids have a crazy array of things in their bed. The other day, I had to clean out their cribs because it was out of control. Here is a sample of what I found in Arwen's bed:

5 books (they always have books in their beds too!!)
    a Master Chief action figure from the xbox game Halo (it was my stepsons)
    a rubber ball (that used to light up when you bounce it but it doesn't work anymore)
    a princess figure
    a small disk that goes to a Barney Spanish music player they have (they like to pretend they are cookies :rolleyes: )
    Turner (the screw driver from Handy Manny tool set)
    one of her sister's pacifiers (she doesn't really use them, she's a finger sucker but likes to have one in her bed)
    and of course her pillow, blankie, and regular blanket.

It's quite hilarious to check out what they have in bed from time to time. Every night we ask them what they want to take to bed with them and they pick out whatever they are in the mood for that night (I try to avoid toys that make noise though). It helps to prevent fights for them going to bed if they know they get to have some toys with them. Generally they go to bed at 8:30 and we let them play in their beds until about 9pm (if they make it that long) and then we try to lights out. In the morning, it also keeps them entertained for a few minutes while I open my eyes and wake myself up.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Derek sleeps with nothing.

Tyler on the other hand has gone to bed at night with all sorts of "strange" stuff but the most unusual by far was a watering can. :crazy:

5. girlsxtwo

girlsxtwo Well-Known Member

Audrey doesn't sleep with anything, but Abigail always has to have something. Lately, it's a batman cardboard sign from a bakery, books, and lots of stuffed animals. She used to have a rock that had to be on her nightstand, but he's been missing for a while now. :rolleyes:

6. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

My kids always have something crazy in their cribs! For months during harvest season, all my boys MUST have their combines in their beds at night. And lately, along with their combine books (farming magazines), they have to have a tractor or pickup and a horse or a cow. And, they still need their puppies and blankies!

7. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

J likes to sleep with his blanket and blankie...not too exciting.

Lucas on the other hand will sleep with a blankie, blanket, stuffed snoopy, stuffed deer, stuffed frog, a hotwheels monster truck, a board book, and leggos. He piles it all in the corner of his crib and lays on top of it to go to sleep. I don't see how it's comfortable at all.

8. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Well-Known Member

My guys are little pack rats in bed too.....right now, each bed has:

~5-7 stuffed animal "friends"
    ~5 matchbox cars
    ~a box of tissues
    ~various tools
    ~their blankies, Ryan has two, Colin has three

I don't know how they are comfortable, but they are! And they
    know everything that is in there....I used to take out one stuffed animal
    when I made their bed and would be asked at bedtime, "Hey, where
    is my snowman/frog/hippo, etc..." so now I just leave
    everything in there.

9. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My one daughter when she was around 1-18mths yr old (can't remember her exact age) used to bring to bed with her a pasta cook book. It had no pictures in it but she loved this book and had to have it in be with her. My other daughter just had to have her blankets and pacifiers.

My son used to bring his blankies and his train to bed with him. If we couldn't find his toy train he was happy with another car type toy. Now we don't let him have anything since he would play with it to much and not go to sleep.

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My Sarah takes this keyring that has these little block letters on it. She calls it her caterpillar and has to have it to sleep.

11. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Shoes :unknw:

12. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

Yep, books here too. DS had about 11 board books in his bed tonight and was mad I wouldn't let him have any more! I usually don't make a big deal about it...gotta pick your battles and all. DD started the books in the bed thing. Up until they were 18 mo or so, they wouldn't allow anything in their beds. They would throw it all out.

Now, they both have their books, two pillows, a blanket, a tigger/pooh, baby dolls (twins, of course) and DS has a match box car. Sometimes when I check on them before I go to bed, I'll take a coupe books out of their crib, especially ones they are laying on. It just looks so uncomfortable. But, like someone else mentioned, they often will sit and read when they wake up, giving me a bit more time to come too.

13. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

There was a time when N slept with his pancake from his play kitchen.

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Socks and remotes.

15. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Mine are still "little" so I don't let them sleep with more than a stuffed animal, blanket and ookie, but at naptime I caved and let Ryan sleep with his hairbrush.