What is your bedtime for your almost 3 year old

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Amy A, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

My guys have stopped napping a while ago. We are currently in the midst of the horrible toddler bed transition that I have been dreading. My guys have been up till about 10:30 or 11pm every night with no nap, and getting up around 7:30 or 8am. Clearly not enough sleep. The last three nights have been better, bedtime has been about 9:45. We are putting them down at about 9pm. I am thinking we need to keep bumping their bedtime earlier until they finally get the hint. But I"m just curious for those of you whose kiddos don't nap, what time your'es go to bed. My ideal would be 8 or 8:30, but I don't know if that will happen with my guys. You would thinkn they would be exhuasted, and I think they are - they just can't calm themselves down. Another joy of having "spirited" kids!

2. Debbie F

Debbie F Well-Known Member

My son still takes a 2 hour nap - he is 3 1/2. We start bedtime routine at 8:00 regardless of whether he naps or not

3. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

Why don't you put them in at 8:00 or 8:30 when you want them to go to bed and tell them they can read in bed, but that they can't get out, it's bedtime? I would hope that after a few days of reinforcing that and not allowing them to get out of bed, they would get used to it. Even if the girls don't seem tired at their bedtime (they can be running around), they know that it's time to go to bed and that's that. They can lie in their beds and not fall asleep right away, but they know it's bedtime. Once we close the door, we don't go back in there (unless there was something wrong of course). Consistentcy is the key in my opinion.

4. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Mine nap 1.5-2 hours, but they're bedtime is 8:30-9 (closer to 9 usually) and they sleep until 7-7:30.

5. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

QUOTE(egoury @ Aug 2 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]354626[/snapback]
    Why don't you put them in at 8:00 or 8:30 when you want them to go to bed and tell them they can read in bed, but that they can't get out, it's bedtime? I would hope that after a few days of reinforcing that and not allowing them to get out of bed, they would get used to it. Even if the girls don't seem tired at their bedtime (they can be running around), they know that it's time to go to bed and that's that. They can lie in their beds and not fall asleep right away, but they know it's bedtime. Once we close the door, we don't go back in there (unless there was something wrong of course). Consistentcy is the key in my opinion.

We have tried this and it hasn't worked for our guys. They are VERY persistant and VERY stubborn. I am guessing your girls aren't as spirited as my guys. The problem with closing the door and leaving is that they end up fighting and biting each other a lot at bedtime. Josh has about three different bite marks on his arms right now becuase of bedtime fighting. They have nothing in their room but their mattresses, blankets and pillows. We have tried keeping them in their beds for a few nights, but I can't do it - they don't stay still and after 12 - 13 hours of chasing them with no downtime I am exhusted and have no energy left to fight this battle. Neither does my husband by the time he gets home from work.

I do really appreciate your response and suggestion though.

6. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

Sorry about that. Mine are definitely stubborn, but so is mommy. :) I know where they get it from. But, mine don't bite or hit each other like that. I think that's definitely a boy thing versus girl thing. Have you considered making them go to bed when you want and instead of leaving them alone with the door closed, sitting in there (just in a corner or something) without talking to them just to let them know you are serious and staying there until they settle down? Just a thought since I haven't been there.

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

On days with no nap mine go to bed at 7/7:30. If they do nap it's 8 or 8:30. I would definitely move it earlier. They are probably overtired. I hope they sleep for you soon Amy!

8. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

My average bedtime is 8-8:30 and he is usually up around 7-7:30am. But sometimes he will be up later. If he does happen to fall asleep for a nap he is up till midnight!! UGH! But then also every so often, he will fall asleep at 4:30 in the afternoon! Those are great evenings!! :good:

9. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

My 3 year olds still *usually* take naps... If they didnt take a nap they are in bed by 7 and sleep until 7am. If they napped, it 8.

10. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We don't get naps anymore (they'll be three Saturday) and they usually aren't asleep until about 9:15. It's gotten later and I want to move it back to around 8:30. They are sleeping until about 8:15 AM.

The switch to beds made getting them to go to sleep a little tougher. Unfortunately I've got a new habit of reading with my booklight (other lights out except their nightlight) in their room until they are asleep. But it's working. Usually only takes them about 20 minutes to fall asleep.

Melissa is my "spirited" child. It's definitely a challenge. But this is working for me. And I don't mind because I love the reading time.

11. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marieber @ Aug 2 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]355032[/snapback]
    The switch to beds made getting them to go to sleep a little tougher. Unfortunately I've got a new habit of reading with my booklight (other lights out except their nightlight) in their room until they are asleep. But it's working. Usually only takes them about 20 minutes to fall asleep.

Melissa is my "spirited" child. It's definitely a challenge. But this is working for me. And I don't mind because I love the reading time.

What a great idea!! I'll have to remember that one when we get to that point. They could look at their books to go to sleep and I could read mine. I love it.

12. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

At that age they went to bed at 8 every night. They only napped if they fell asleep in the car when we were out.

13. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MichelleS @ Aug 3 2007, 02:28 AM) [snapback]355508[/snapback]
    At that age they went to bed at 8 every night. They only napped if they fell asleep in the car when we were out.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one's whose kids stopped napping at this age!

14. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marieber @ Aug 2 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]355032[/snapback]
    We don't get naps anymore (they'll be three Saturday) and they usually aren't asleep until about 9:15. It's gotten later and I want to move it back to around 8:30. They are sleeping until about 8:15 AM.

So let me get this straight, they leave you alone when you are in their room??? If I am in the boys room they keep coming up to me saying "mommy this, mommy that, I need/want this/that", they would never leave me alone to read. I love to read so I would have no problem with reading in their room and staying there, but I am sure they would want to take my book and try and read it.

15. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

QUOTE(egoury @ Aug 2 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]354744[/snapback]
    Sorry about that. Mine are definitely stubborn, but so is mommy. :) I know where they get it from. But, mine don't bite or hit each other like that. I think that's definitely a boy thing versus girl thing. Have you considered making them go to bed when you want and instead of leaving them alone with the door closed, sitting in there (just in a corner or something) without talking to them just to let them know you are serious and staying there until they settle down? Just a thought since I haven't been there.

I used to be a lot more stubborn than I am now . . . it has become clear that any battle I fight they always end up winning so I guess in a way I have just given up. It's depressing, but sadly true. Kuddos to you for keeping up the battles.

16. matwetwins

matwetwins Well-Known Member

My guys stopped napping when they were 28 mo and because they don't nap they go to bed at 7, and wake up between 6:30 and 7. If they nap like once every 21 days or so they go to bed at 8:30

17. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Amy A @ Aug 2 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]355564[/snapback]
    So let me get this straight, they leave you alone when you are in their room??? If I am in the boys room they keep coming up to me saying "mommy this, mommy that, I need/want this/that", they would never leave me alone to read. I love to read so I would have no problem with reading in their room and staying there, but I am sure they would want to take my book and try and read it.

It takes a bit, but we do have a general set routine -- I read, them two books before they get into bed and two after. Since the switch to beds they are not necessarily still during the last book but it is definitely "lights out" time. They do not mess with my book, and Jade is pretty/very good about being still and going to sleep. Melissa finds lots of excuses: "Where's my mermaid?" "I need a tissue." "I need to wash my hands." I need... but I shush and tell them to be quiet and well, yes I do let her wash her hands after playing with her nose...but generally I just try to shut it down and I'm really LAME...but I think after last book it generally takes no more than a 15 minute struggle before they sleep.

Granted these are three year olds and next week could be a whole new story!

18. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

My two are in bed by 8-830. They still nap and are "normally" sleeping by 9-930. the last time they skipped their nap they wer asleep by 815. We have the battles about water, vince is teasing me(granted vince is asleep but I guess it is "possible" :blink: ) I need my blanket on(for the umpteenth time) Dad is a bit more leaniant than mom is.

BTW for nap time one goes in my room. I tell them they do not have to nap but they need to be quiet and read/play in bed. They normally end up going to sleep. But there is NO WAY they will nap together in the same room. Even if they do not nap, I get some time to myself.

19. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cricket1 @ Aug 3 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]356264[/snapback]
    My two are in bed by 8-830. They still nap and are "normally" sleeping by 9-930. the last time they skipped their nap they wer asleep by 815. We have the battles about water, vince is teasing me(granted vince is asleep but I guess it is "possible" :blink: ) I need my blanket on(for the umpteenth time) Dad is a bit more leaniant than mom is.

BTW for nap time one goes in my room. I tell them they do not have to nap but they need to be quiet and read/play in bed. They normally end up going to sleep. But there is NO WAY they will nap together in the same room. Even if they do not nap, I get some time to myself.

I have seen a lot of people say this, that one twin goes in their room to nap. How do you do that? My guys would tear apart our room. Their "room" is already in our room (their dresser, a lot of their toys, ect - everything we took out of their room so that it is only two mattress on the floor). Whoever would be in our room would open all our drawers and take everything out, take clothes of the hangers in the closet, their all time favorite is playing with our alarm clocks, play with our cell phone chargers, ect. I could stay in the room and lay down with one, but I know there would be no laying down for N or J because he would just want to explore our room and play.

I am getting the picture that my two are a lot more active that I ever realized!

20. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I have one VERY "spirited" boy, but both of mine go to bed around 7-7:15 and probably don't fall asleep until closer to 8.
    They stay in bed until 7am-ish and nap most days still from about 1:30-3pm.

21. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

I am probably the worst person to ask since my children are terrible sleepers, but...
    Alex naps for an hour and a half to 2 hours. He then is brought to bed at about half past 7 or 8 and depending on the day he will fall asleep or come down a million times. Usually he is asleep by 9 o clock (if it was a bad night). He then sleeps until 5 or 5:30.

Ollie doesn't nap, he goes to bed at 7 or 7:30 and he sleeps fine until 2 or so when he wakes up. Then resettles after about an hour and sleeps (some few nights anyway, but I hope this will be the way to go so knock on wood) until 6:30 or 7.
    Millie