What is your 4-year olds bedtime & wake up times?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ckreh, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Our twins have always been tired around 7-7:30pm, go to sleep within 5-10 minutes, and sleep pretty much through the night without many issues. Typically they would sleep until 7am~ish. About 6-days ago DS decided 5am was an appropriate time to be up and if he is awake the WHOLE house is awake.

We tried moving back bedtime this weekend and he still got up at 5am. :headbang: So I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? What are your kids bedtimes and wake up times? We are at a loss here and sleep deprived as it is. This morning he told me he would stay in his bed and be quiet if we put a TV in his room. Um at 4.5-years old I don't think so. Advice???

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls go to bed at 8 (usually asleep by 8:30) & are up between 6:30-7:00am. They have a Gro clock in their room though so if they wake before 7 they know they have to stay in bed until the clock turns yellow. They have books to look at & teddies to play with if they're really bored. My girls also still nap 1.5-2 hrs almost every afternoon.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

7.30-8pm bedtime and up anytime between 7 and 7.45am typically. When DS decided to get up earlier, we just yelled to go back to bed from the other room... lol. Their room is next to ours and they can't get out still.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are a little over 3.5 yrs and go to bed at 10pm and get up around 9-9:30am. We have a small lamp on a timer set for 9:30, they aren't supposed to get up until then. But dd has been waking up to pee shortly after 9am, and once she's up, they're both up. Most mornings I do put them back to bed with their lullabies, I don't really care whether they talk and play as long as they stay in their room until 9:30.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are in bed by 8:00 and depending on the day, they could be up anywhere from 6:45 am to 8:00 am.

6. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

8 pm is bedtime. they each have a digital clock and know they can't come out til 7 am.

tanya

7. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

I have an early riser too and 5 a.m. is not unheard of. Does your DS nap during the day? Can he last all day without a nap? My early rising DS is really active and burns himself out, going to sleep early. He usually loses steam around 7 p.m. if he doesn't nap. The only thing that really has helped is to make certain he is really, really active during the day and cut out naps. Bedtime for us starts at 8 p.m. and he is usually asleep by 8:30 p.m. Without a nap, he'll wake at 7 a.m. GL!

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

A clock he can read might help. Explain that if it's before x time, he needs to stay in bed, or play on the floor quietly. Or, teach him how to make a simple breakfast and explain that now that he's a big kid he can be awake without the rest of you if he wants. This actually worked for my girls. They don't get up super early, but on the weekends they still get up before I want to so we let them go get a snack and play in the family room until we're up and moving around. We explained it like it was a treat... maybe that would help your son?

Oh - my girls are usually asleep by 7:30 and we wake them up during the week at 6:30. On the weekends sometimes they'll sleep until 7 or 7:30, but usually not.

9. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I would think that since he just started this out of the blue, and it is so unusual for him that it's just a phase or some flukey thing - growth spurt, having to go potty, something that interrupted his sleep pattern. I wouldn't go crazy trying to fix it. I'd just make him stay in his room until a time you feel is acceptable and hopefully he'll get back on track. I think those clocks work great that have already been mentioned - we used the stop light clock. Once they get the hang of not bothering anyone until it changes color, it hopefully will stop disrupting your own sleep.

My kids go to bed between 8:30 and 9 - sometimes 9:30 on weekends and get up between 8-9.

10. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We have one of those tot clocks and it worked great until about 3-months ago when he figured out how to change the color on it. The he would start yelling "The clock is yellow...rise & shine". He is also scared of the dark right now, so anything before 7am he wakes DD up to turn on the lights and so on. I am hoping it is just a phase because he did sleep this morning until 6:45am, but he does have a cold/allergy thing going on right now. Crossing our fingers that by the weekend he will get back to normal. Thanks for all the advice & support.

11. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys have been begging for these for a good six months and I finally broke down and bought them last week. They now sell them at Walmart and Toys R Us for $29.99 but I found them at Costco for $22.99

They have a 20 minute timer or it can be left on for as long as he/you want.

My boys go to bed at 8:00 and get up around 7:00.

12. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls each have their own flashlight that they have next to their pillow if they need it in the night. It helps with any night time scares.

I don't know about the Tot Clocks but the Gro Clocks are "lockable" so that the kids can't change the settings once you set it for the night.

13. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

My girls usually sleep a lot and I am glad because I love my sleep too! They go to bed about 9 PM and wake up around 9-9:30.

14. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

can you remove the hard part in order to wash the animals? one of mine has been begging for those, too, but he's allergic to dust. i haven't wanted to buy one because i didn't think it could be washed...... thanks!

~~jl

15. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

No, it's part of the animal so I doubt it could be washed.