What is this rash?

Discussion in 'General' started by a1cbrandy, May 12, 2008.

1. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Faith developed a rash of some kind in the middle of her head. I thought it was ringworm, but the doctor said that was a very weird place for ringworm to be, and didn't think it was ringworm. So I am suppose to watch it and if it doesn't go away, take her back this week. I have looked online, and the only similar rash I can come by is ringworm. Its scaly white in the middle and an almost perfect round circle of red around it. It doesn't itch (I have watched her without her knowing me) it doesn't hurt.. And its getting redder, but not any bigger. She has had it for about 1 week now.

So what do you think it could be? I am taking her back to the doctor tomorrow...

Thanks,
    Brandy

2. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

Brandy, my only other thought was whether she has a toy with a little suction cup, maybe she stuck it on her head??? Is it raised at all? Other than that I have no experience with a rash like that. Hope it goes away soon!!

3. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Brandy that is what it looks like to me as well, ringworm.

Keep us updated.

4. a1cbrandy

Yeah no suction cup toys...and its a little bit raised in the middle. She keeps telling me its a scratch. I just do not know where she would get a scratch in a perfect circle like that...

Thanks ladies.

Brandy

5. caba

caba Banned

I don't have any help to offer, but just wanted to say that I hope she feels better soon!

6. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KYsweetheart @ May 12 2008, 08:30 AM) [snapback]768144[/snapback]
    Brandy that is what it looks like to me as well, ringworm.

Keep us updated.

I was thinking ringworm

7. gregje101

gregje101 Well-Known Member

looks like ringworm to me too.

8. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I too was thinking ring worm. It looks just like one.

9. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gregje @ May 12 2008, 09:10 AM) [snapback]768219[/snapback]
    looks like ringworm to me too.

Ditto

10. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

I don't know what ringworm is, but it looks like psoriasis to me. That's what psoriasis looks like. Does it get redder after eating certain foods such as sugar? She's very young to develop psoriasis, but it might be that. Can you do a closeup of it? Or perhaps it would be simpler for you to google it and see if any of the bazillion pics match what this looks like.

11. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

ditto the ringworm!

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

never dealt with ringworm but it almost looks like the goose eggs my son gives himself when he trips and face plants! Hope she's better soon!

13. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

If it wasn't a suction incident, I'd say ringworm too, but I always thought that happened other places than the face. :unknw:

14. Don2worrybhappy

Don2worrybhappy Well-Known Member

It looks like some kind of fungus. Have you tried putting Lotrimin cream on it?

15. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

My kids all get eczema spots like that in various spots on their bodies. It's often on their arms or legs and people will seriously insist it is ringworm, but it's not. So....just another idea.

16. a1cbrandy

The closer pictures are blurry..so this is the best I could do. This is not anywhere else on her body. Just like a target in the middle of her head. LOL (awful)

She has bug bites all over her legs..but they are misquito bites..and this isn't. I am getting her an appt tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
    BTW: It doesn't bother her at all. No itch..not pain. It just looks gross...

Brandy

17. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

ditto on the ringworm too....I googled ringworm on the face and this is what I found so it is definately possible: Face Ringworm (tinea faciei) is ringworm on the face except in the area of the beard. On the face, ringworm is rarely ring-shaped. Characteristically, it causes red, scaly patches with indistinct edges.

18. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My thoughts would be ringworm or another type of fungus infection.

19. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

My first thought was some kind of bug bite. Spider, or tick, or something along those lines. If it was ringworm, the whole thing would be red, not just the outside (at least that has been our experience with it).

Best of luck!

20. a1cbrandy

I found this information about Lyme disease. We have found some ticks on other kids around us..but none on my kids. I am getting her an appt today ...just in case.

The first sign of infection usually is a circular rash, called erythema migrans, that appears within 1–2 weeks of infection but may develop up to 30 days after the tick bite. This rash often has a characteristic "bull's-eye" appearance, with a central red spot surrounded by clear skin that is ringed by an expanding red rash. It may also appear as an expanding ring of solid redness. It may be warm to the touch and is usually not painful or itchy. The bull's-eye rash may be more difficult to see on people with darker skin tones, where it may take on a bruise-like appearance. The rash usually resolves in about a month. Although this rash is considered typical of Lyme disease, many patients never develop it.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infection...viral/lyme.html

Thanks everyone...

It doesn't look like a lot of the ringworm pictures i have been seeing online...so looking at other things.

Brandy

21. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

My first thought was also spider bite, but they would usually have two tiny punctures near the center.

22. mandyanna

mandyanna Well-Known Member

Peroxide will kill ringworm, it is an easy fix if that is what it is and non toxic if it isnt. It certainly looks like it to me

23. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would probably try some lotrimin on it just to see if it would go away - other than that ?????
    I would't think it would hurt - but if it were a fungus it will go away. In my experience, RW is very itchy but can look like that. If you suspect Lymes I would take her back to the dr.

it may be an odd place for RW to be but not if you have pets that she may play with - RW is highly contagious. I worked as a vet tech for many years and one time I got it on my neck - because I kept a leash around my neck while I was feeding the animals that were being kept at the clinic. We used to spray our exam tables w/ Clorox and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping them down so that the spores had a chance to settle and be killed. -

bless her heart! I hope it clears up very soon!!!

24. MEARA

MEARA Well-Known Member

I don't think it would hurt to put fungus ointment on it for now...I found out that yeast inf meds are the same exact ingredients as tinactin...Sounds gross but hey! also - mine get the excema spots too and I just use Triple ointment for those. Looks like it could be either.

25. a1cbrandy

We just got back from the doctor. He said not ringworm, right when he saw it. But thinks it could be Lymes. So they did a blood test..and we will find out in 3-4 days and go from there. They did give me an antifungal cream in case it is a fungus. So at least I feel like we are doing something now...

Thanks for all the help. Will keep you updated.

Brandy

26. a1cbrandy

Here is the rash 3 days later. Its more red now..and bigger.

Still no idea what it is...waiting for the doctor to call me today with the results of the Lyme disease test. I really do not think its that though..because she shows no other signs.

No one else has it (not contagious) only one spot of the body, no itching or pain. Very weird rash...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Brandy

27. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ May 15 2008, 09:49 AM) [snapback]774553[/snapback]
    Here is the rash 3 days later. Its more red now..and bigger.

Still no idea what it is...waiting for the doctor to call me today with the results of the Lyme disease test. I really do not think its that though..because she shows no other signs.

No one else has it (not contagious) only one spot of the body, no itching or pain. Very weird rash...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Brandy

Very strange Brandy! It looks swollen and slightly raised in the photo, is it? It almost looks to me like some kind of bug bite that's now maybe gotten infected. Especially since it's three days later and getting worse...could end up being cellutlitis (infection of the skin). I'd probably bring her back in and have them look at it again. Did they give you any antibiotics in the mean time?

Hope you figure it out!

28. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

My husband developed Lyme Disease after a tick bite a few years ago. The only way he knew he had it was obviously the bullseye rashes (he had several that were probably twice the size of your daughters rash, on his torso and on his legs and they were not itchy or painful) and he was also VERY rundown for a few weeks, almost like he had a cold but without the runny nose/cough/etc, just the tiredness.

I hope it is getting better now, whatever it is!

29. momotwinsmom

My vote is still some kind of bug bite.

30. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(korie99 @ May 15 2008, 12:13 PM) [snapback]774939[/snapback]
    My husband developed Lyme Disease after a tick bite a few years ago. The only way he knew he had it was obviously the bullseye rashes (he had several that were probably twice the size of your daughters rash, on his torso and on his legs and they were not itchy or painful) and he was also VERY rundown for a few weeks, almost like he had a cold but without the runny nose/cough/etc, just the tiredness.

I hope it is getting better now, whatever it is!

Did the rash look anything like what you see on my daughter?

Thanks,
    Brandy

31. a1cbrandy

QUOTE(momotwinsmom @ May 15 2008, 01:15 PM) [snapback]775088[/snapback]
    My vote is still some kind of bug bite.

I have wondered about this also...but can't find anything online that looks like this.

Thanks,
    Brandy

32. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

It looked a little bit like your daughter's rash, but it's hard to say b/c it was so long ago....I seem to remember it being redder around the outside and lighter in the middle. I just asked my husband about it and he said the rashes can vary from person to person as far as how many and the redness, etc and he also said that there are alot of false positives/false negatives with the Lyme tests. The rash is usually the sure way to tell. My husband's doctor didn't even do the blood test b/c he had so many bullseye rashes it was totally obvious that he had it.

To me it looks more like a bite or ringworm than it does the Lyme rash, but I'm no expert. I hope you get it figured out soon!

33. momotwinsmom

Have you heard back from the dr yet? Just wondering how her tests turned out.

Here are some lymes disease rash pics (WARNING THERE IS A BOOBY PIC IN THERE!). Some look similar to Faiths rash.

34. a1cbrandy

No I am very frustrated. I got her test done on Monday morning, and I called the doctor on Weds and Friday. No one ever called me back. So if it is something serious..we won't know until next week. The good thing is the rash seems to be healing, the bad thing is if it is Lyme's she could suffer other problems in the future. I just hope they call me on Monday and let me know ...hopefully everything is clear.

Gotta love military doctors. :(

Brandy

35. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

i don't think that is lyme desease. i would say spider bite or some other bug bite. lyme desease doesn't swell and that looks raised. i would be out of my mind also. no news is good news think of that. if it was lyme they would of called you by now.