What is the earliest you can drop the overnight bottle?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carrie-, Sep 6, 2011.

1. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

Just curious. My girls are only 10 weeks so I know it's still too early - but I'm waking them to feed at 2 am and can't wait to try and go longer. They currently take 4 oz at 8:30 pm (may soon br ready for 5) and fall asleep by 9:30 or so, then take 4 oz (on a good night) at 2 am. Lauren then stirs anytime after 5 am, but I wait until 6 am to feed.

When you did transition off the overnight, what did your night schedule look like?

Tx.

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Were they early? At 10 weeks I wouldnt be waking them up for a bottle unless their pedi said to. If they wake up hungry, that's different. But I would let them sleep as long as they will.

3. carrie-

They were 3 weeks early but over 7 lbs each (yeah, ouch). No issues and have basically already caught up.

The problem is I'm returning to work, and want to give them a bottle at home before daycare. So I'd rather not feed them at say 4 am, I am being selfish but need all the sleep I van get. My day will start at 5:30 am so I'd like to feed them at 6 am. Because by 7am, I have to get my 18 month old twins ready & out the door with my DH.

Bottom line is, if they are going to wake for a night bottle I'd like to be the one dictacting when...

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

You can try to see if they will go overnight. They may. But at 10 weeks they will probably wake up on their own, so you may want to stick with the time that works for you. What we did is start putting them in the swing when they woke without feeding. I figured that if they went to sleep in the swing they weren't really hungry. They usually did, and we started drawing out the night longer that way. DD starting sleeping through at 12 weeks. DS woke up and would go in the swing in the middle of the night but rarely needed to eat overnight from 12 weeks on.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys were around 3.5 months when they stopped eating at night on their own. Once they did that our schedule was approx. 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, and then a dream feed at 9:30-10pm. We kept the dream feed until about 7 months.

Before that, we were having to feed them around 4am, which stunk for DH because he had to get up to get ready for work at 6:30 and usually couldn't go back to sleep (he did usually help me feed them, but even when he didn't the noise would wake him up).

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My oldest was 3 weeks and no longer waking for a overnight feed. He was sleeping 11-6. The twins, Nathaniel was 4 weeks and sleeping 12-6 and William was 9 weeks and doing 12-6, so it really depends on the baby. If they are sleeping long stretches, I would leave them.

7. FirstTimeMomma

FirstTimeMomma Well-Known Member

We dropped the 2AM feeding when they hit 2 & 1/2 months. They go from 11:30pm until about 5-5:30am

8. PinkDiamonds

PinkDiamonds Well-Known Member

My 2nd twin was sleeping through the night from 2-4months. and then one day she started waking up for feeds. it's been crazy ever since, and recently at almost 11 months old they are still waking up every 4 hours at night. :(

9. carrie-

Thanks everybody! We may try to push the last bottle to 9 or 9:30 and see what happens... they start daycare in 10 days so they might change it up on us then too. Who knows what will happen - busier days could change their sleep at night.

Thanks again!