what is it with the older generation?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ~ilyse~, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

My mom, my mother in law and even dh at times, don't understand that babies need to be on a schedule and they won't always nap away from home or in the car. It is great if they do, but mine don't really do so well. With all the sleeping/falling to sleep issues we have been having lately, I refuse to compromise their afternoon nap and/or bedtime and everyone seems to have a problem with it because they are available in the afternoon or whatever, and I even find myself apologizing at times. I hate this!!! Their first birthday party is coming up and I am wondering if I did a bad thing. I scheduled it for 1pm and that is the time they take their nap. I am even considering letting them stay home and sleep (the party is not at home) with a trust worthy person here and bringing them to the party when they wake up. I know dh and the grandparents and all the other adults that want to see them will probably fight me on this. Whatever happened to the babies needs come first no matter what? I am trying not to let this ruin a good day but I am just so disgusted by all of this.

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Grr. That would make me mad too! I am not a schedule person, but NOBODY is going to come between my babies and the naps they need! (Well, maybe important dr. app'ts, but that's it!)

The babies come first, and everyone else can just go...um...take a walk. ;)

3. Grandma2TwinBoys

Grandma2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

Can you reschedule the party time for after naptime? I completely agree that you need to consider your children's naptime, especially on a day when they're going to have lots going on and be pretty stimulated. The last thing you want is for two babies to be having simultaneous meltdowns on their big day!

When you contact guests with a change of time, you can always casually brush it off with something like ... "oh the kids have been real bears lately if they don't get their nap and we've decided it would be best to celebrate at X:XX time instead of 1:00 as previously planned." I wouldn't think that would be an issue of debate with most of the guests. If they can't make it, well so be it. It will be a wonderful celebration of your babies' big day regardless!

Your mom, MIL and DH can just deal with it!! You know more than they do how your kids react if they don't stay on their schedule. Don't feel guilty and don't apologize! Just keep reminding them that if your kids are well rested, everyone will enjoy the party more!

- From a member of the "older generation" who understands the need for schedules!

4. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

Thanks Kathy!!

5. ~rosie~

~rosie~ Well-Known Member

That irritates the toots out of me. Wesley and I go to visit my grandparents about three times a week, and EVERY TIME they complain when I have to go because it's nap time. "Oh, he's fine. He's not even fussing. He doesn't need a nap." Blah, blah, blah.

Makes me crazy.

So far as the party, I'd probably leave it as it, but I would really stick to the schedule otherwise on other days.

Good Luck!

6. Mommydee

Mommydee Well-Known Member

i don't know. i think i would switch the time if you can- even just an hour later. at least they could get SOME nap. i know mine would be little terrors if they were overtired, which at 1pm they would be for SURE. we are having our party between naps, from 11-2, though it is at our house. i am just hoping everyone LEAVES around 2, so they can go to sleep. i am sure theywill be tired. and you can tell the inlaws/parents that even though they don't seem tired or cranky at that moment, they will be later and then they can come over to YOUR house and deal with them!!!!!

7. Dr. Menna

Dr. Menna Well-Known Member

I think older generation believes that they can raise your children as they raised you & your sisters/brothers. They forget that everything has changed since you were few months old & there're a lot of new trends concerning rearing children. However, I can't deny they have the experience that MAY help in a way.

Anyway, you're the mom, so u're the leader, listen to the advices, think about them, pick the best for your babies & go for it. No one obliges you to do what you don't want to :)
    Hang on,

Love,

Menna