What helps gas?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by New Mom, Jan 17, 2007.

1. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

Is there anything that helps gas besides gas drops? Babies seem really upset when they have gas.

2. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

Is there anything that helps gas besides gas drops? Babies seem really upset when they have gas.

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Some people reccommend Gripe Water. I haven't used it myself but there are those that swear by it. Also carrying your baby so that the heel of your palm is pressed against their tummy, and their cheek rests on your forearm near your elbow with their arms and legs dangling is very soothing to gassy babies. Laying them on the bed (or where ever as long as it's flat) and bicycling their legs often helps. Or if you gently rub their tummy around their belly button in a clockwise direction. My Grandma swears that if you lay them tummy down on a hot water bottle filled with very warm water that helps. HTH!

4. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

quote:
    carrying your baby so that the heel of your palm is pressed against their tummy, and their cheek rests on your forearm near your elbow with their arms and legs dangling is very soothing to gassy babies

This also worked for me. We used Mylicon drops too

5. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

It might depend on the brand of gas drops. When Zoe was first born, she had really bad gas all the time. The Gerber gas drops worked miracles in seconds, but the Mylicon never seemed to work for her at all.

The other thing we did that I *think* helped with the gas was to burp them really well. If we were giving bottles, we'd stop 1/2 way through and burp as well as burping at the end.

6. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

i went to an infant massage class months ago and she had us take our fingertips of one hand and 'walk' across their belly (when looking at babies belly, go from left to right) and that is supposed to get the gas bubbles out. Also as stated above, rub their tummy in a clockwise direction. My boys both like when i walk across their tummies with my fingers.

7. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I've heard so much positive stuff about gripe water (though I've never tried it) so it's worth a shot. The Mylicon (sp?) drops NEVER seemed to really help. When they used to have a really bad gas pain spell, I would lay them on their back and move their legs in a reverse bicycle motion. It seemed to help relieve some of the gas pain. (it was recommended by my ped.)

8. boogerkw

boogerkw Well-Known Member

Gas drops save my life sometimes, I heard that Gripe water works pretty good.

9. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

Gas drops and moving there bent legs into there belly and back out i forget who told me that but seems to release gas when we do it. hth [​IMG]

10. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

we used gripe water and it made a great difference. burping half way during a feeding is a good idea too. also, placing the baby on your shoulder and walking around a bit will do wonders. ours love this. something about the pressure on their belly and the movement of walking gets the gas to move along painlessly.

11. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Target makes a store brand of Mylicon for $2.75 (compared to $9). I used both and found them to be equally effective.

I've also been happy with their Tylenol & Motrin generics. Didn't pay more than $3 for any of them.

12. 2peasNApod

2peasNApod Well-Known Member

We used gripe water (seemed to sooth an upset tummy more than gas for us, but we had two with reflux) Gas drops were hit or miss with us. We burp (still do) half way through the feeding and at the end. We walk and bounce after a feeding as well. Now that the babies sit up, I've noticed after I've burped them well, I'll sit them on the floor to play and they get a few of those phantom burps up as well.