What "got" you your twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by JediMom, Dec 15, 2007.

1. JediMom

JediMom Well-Known Member

I am really curious to know how you all conceived your twins.

Of course, we don't know if ours are fraternal or identical yet. However, I am fairly certain the reason I am pregnant with twins is a result of Femara. I hadn't been ovulating on a regular basis so my doc gave me the rx and it worked the first month. I was pretty adamant about getting something sooner than waiting for blood work to come back because my son will be right around 5 years older than the twins and I really wanted a smaller age gap (as opposed to him being closer to 6). Well, in the middle of my first cycle with the Femara, I learned my thyroid was off. I was rx'd Synthroid 50mg and have since been moved up to 75 mg. I THINK if I had just started taking the Synthroid, I would have been able to get back to being regular and conceived on my own.... especially since I was on BCPs when I got PG with my son right around our Honeymoon!

Twins do not run in either of our families. We will be the first that we know of with twins. So I am assuming right off the bat they are fraternal and a result of medical assistance. If they turn out to be identical, I will be stunned!

So, what about you all? I am very curious!

2. camdensmommy

camdensmommy Well-Known Member

SEX :p
    We had so much trouble conceiving our son, ended up not getting pregnant on 2 rounds of clomid, and spontaneously getting pregnant with him. Then I went to see and RE this time around, and was told I had PCOS- he figures I was on the meds for that for 2 days when I got pregnant, ha ha ha. So I think it was just plain ole sex and good timing. My girls do look a lot a like but I have no clue if they are fraternal or identical yet. I have some distant twins in my family and hubby has a set of cousins, but not much of a history there!

3. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

it runs in our family:) but i think when i got pg again right after my mc a few weeks later i must have super-ovulated 2 eggs-we already had 2 DSs so it was a shock to say the least:)

4. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

mine was a result of injectible FSH and an IUI. i had 3 mature follicles at the time, and 2 of them took! :icon_biggrin:

amy

5. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

runs in the fam.. the odd thing is... my SIL (brothers wife) had her frat twing 6 months b4 mine werre born! never thought that i would have twins!!!

6. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Good ole fashion sex. Actually, DS2 was only 3 months at the time and it was my fourth pregnancy, so I think hormone levels, age and number of pregnancies probably pushed it along.

I know they say identicals are random, but between the two of us we have five sets of ID twins (that we know of, research has revealed that there may be more) in our families.

7. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

We got pregnant with the help of Injectable meds and Insemination. It was our first try after close to a year of clomid!

8. rayelynn

rayelynn Well-Known Member

Devine intervention, shear luck, whatever. I had been on the pill for over 24 years and got pregnant within 45 days. I think my age had something to do with it.

9. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

My thoughts on our conception: we have Frats that do run in the family (my GG grandma had them and my cousin also got PG with twins but lost one) BUT we did have sex twice on my two best conception dates and I had only been off the pill a month and a half... so out of those 3 things, they are my best guesses!

10. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

While twins do run in my family (my mom is a twin!) our twins were from injects and IUI. 2nd round of injects/IUI after 22 months of trying. I have PCOS.

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My first set (Audrey & Clayton) were the result of our first IVF cycle (transferred 2 embryos). My second set was natural and I know I released two eggs (very painful ovulation)(lost one at about 8 weeks). Oh, I attribute my age & breastfeeding to my second set.

12. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

Twins don't run in our family- we just got lucky. I think my age has something to do with me ovulating more than one egg. They say if you are over 35 that can happen more often. I was 36.5 when I got pregnant with fraternal B/G twins!

13. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

LOTS and LOTS of SEX!! :D :banana:

14. **Diane**

**Diane** Well-Known Member

While twins run in my family (there are 6 sets on my mothers side INCLUDING my mother who is an identical twin plus there is a set of identicals on my father's side) My two are the result of IVF. We got EXTREMELY lucky on our 2nd IVF cycle. This actually saves us from family members asking us if our twins are "natural!" No one but our immediate family (mothers and my sisters) know we used fertility treatments.

15. natasha163

natasha163 Well-Known Member

Identical twins conceived naturally!!...to a point...

Don't really know what contributed to it...we have two boys and were hoping for a girl, so we went on martines lafleurs girl program which involves having sex on certain dates, and making sure you alkaline levels/acidic levels in your vaginal tract or whatever are favourable for a girl (acidic favours girls i think). (i think since starting this the program has proven to be a bit dodgy)

we fell pregnant the first month of trying, i had an extremely painful ov, to the point where i thought something was seriusly wrong. 2 wks later Bingo...pregnant.

I found out at nine weeks we were having mono di twins, and found out at 18 weeks they were GIRLS!!! don't know if having sex on certain dates had anything to do with it or not.

twins have been on both sides of our family, way back, as ggg grandmothers losing sets of twins etc, no twins in our family survived, thats how long ago it was.

we are very thrilled to be blessed with a baby, now two babies, and two girls at that...

16. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2+2more! @ Dec 15 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]535599[/snapback]
    it runs in our family:) but i think when i got pg again right after my mc a few weeks later i must have super-ovulated 2 eggs-we already had 2 DSs so it was a shock to say the least:)

I would say it does. According to my research the Emery side of our family has 6 sets of twins. Yours will be #7. :)

17. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

Twins run on my mom's side of the family..mine are the 7th set and my first children.

18. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Luck! :D
    We got pregnant on our third month trying after being on either Depo or Norplant for 12 years.
    They're ID, so who knows how that happens??

19. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Clomid with insemination ~ 2nd month of trying was a charm!

20. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

ID twins after 6 months of trying. Just lucky I guess!

21. Bee Ell

Bee Ell Active Member

This is my 3rd pregnancy, so maybe that? I dont know if they are fraternal or identical.

Twins run on my father's side of the family, but I have not been able to figure out if that matters or not.

22. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Bee Ell @ Dec 15 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]535769[/snapback]
    Twins run on my father's side of the family, but I have not been able to figure out if that matters or not.

according to what i have read--it doesn't! (frat twins come through the mothers side of the family and have to do w/the propensity to release more than one egg. id twins are just a miracle of nature and i believe they don't actually "run" in families). congrats to you!

our were conceived through ivf. we had only two good embies on tx day--only one of which looked totally 'stellar.' but, we put both back and woo hoo! frat twin boys are on their way:).

23. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

Ultimately - - the grace of GOD!!
    :)

Our twins were a very nice surprise! I did have a miscarriage a few months before conceiving twins and always wondered about that, a little fertility spike or something.

24. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Our miracle boys are the result of IVF #3. Our DD is the result of number 1, a failed #2, and the the boys are #3.

25. spiveyplustwins

spiveyplustwins Well-Known Member

we got off Birth Control on July 4th and conceived Aug 16th (or so). We were shocked that we got pregnant so quickly and even more shocked that we were having twins - no one in our families have twins and we were not on any medication. However, I did have a "feeling" that I was having twins - I have always wanted to have twins and I told my co-worker the day we were going for our ultrasound at 5w4d that I thought they would tell me I was having twins. (Somewhat joking). We are so thankful for our suprise blessings!

26. fellfortomorrow

fellfortomorrow Active Member

Our little two are all natural %100 Florida sun honeymoon babies :eek:)

27. Jackie1078

Jackie1078 Member

My twins are my two miracles after a frozen embryo transfer. The first attempt at IVF failed, the FET was the second attempt. :)

28. fellfortomorrow

fellfortomorrow Active Member

QUOTE(SoBlessed @ Dec 15 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]535808[/snapback]
    Ultimately - - the grace of GOD!!
    :)

Our twins were a very nice surprise! I did have a miscarriage a few months before conceiving twins and always wondered about that, a little fertility spike or something.

i always wondered about that too. we miscarried in march.. then concieved twins in june. i agree with the extra fertility thing

29. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

My twins are the result of IVF#2. My 3-yr-old DD is the result of IVF#1! With the first IVF, we transferred 3 embryos, and only one "took." With the second IVF, we transferred 2 embryos, and both "took!" Basically, we've been either trying to make babies or pregnant since July 2001!!! We consider ourselves to be very lucky, very blessed people to be getting 3 wonderful children!!

30. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

IVF - thankyou Jesus!! (and Dr. Leef!)

31. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

I'm so jealous of all of you who were able to have fun while making your twins :) Well, we had fun too of course but not exactly the same! This was our 3rd IVF, we transfered two 5-day embryos and both took.

32. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Guessing my age got us twins. Read that women over thirty are more likely to drop more eggs. No twins in our families.

Dianna

33. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Dec 15 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]535884[/snapback]
    IVF - thankyou Jesus!! (and Dr. Leef!)

LOL! Amen Sista!

34. tiggrrl72077

tiggrrl72077 Well-Known Member

Ours are the result of IVF#4.

IVF#1 was cancelled
    IVF#2 we transferred 3 embryos and we had our DS
    IVF#3 BFN
    IVF#4 we transferred 4 embryos and two stuck!

35. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Secondary infertility, first IVF, converted from an IUI with injectibles. Two 3 day embies transferred, two beautiful babies born 38 weeks later. :)