What do you make and feed your Baby veggies/fruit

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Jody_527, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Jody_527

Jody_527 Well-Known Member

I was just curious to see what other mothers feed or have feed their 7-8 month olds. I make my own baby food and use jarred food sometimes but Im looking for new ideas. I have read alot about what not to give them but cant really find any info on anytime other than the basics which include:

Veggies

Carrots, Peas, Beans, Squash Zuchinni, sweet potatoes

Fruits

Apples, Bananas, Pears, Peaches, Pumpkin, Avocado,Prunes

I usually mix two of something now, any other ideas would be greatful, also I have read that Berries and corn should not be given until over 1year due to allergies but the sell it in jars in the stores, has anyone else tried it! Just curious

Thanks

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Well, I've heard that the stuff in jar is heated and processed so allegens are gone (it's on beech nut website I think). I gave corn and berries to mine in jars without any problem.

I've used all kinds of mixed jars so far... Tried to make my own food but they don't like it so far :(

3. pigsocks

pigsocks Well-Known Member

I have a great cookbook called Blender baby food by Nicole Young. I gave them every combination of fruit and vegetable I could think of.

Different veg to try beets, corn (we had no issues), cauliflower, broccolli, green beans, parsnips

Different fruit to try mango, cantaloupe (mine love it), watermelon, kiwi (recommends not freezing), berries (we had no issues and my sister is allergic, so was a little concerned), cherries

I found with the melons when Frozen it was really running, so added a little cereal to thicken

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

That list looks great! WE've only done two veggies so far, but this thread is really helpful to remind me what I need to start making and freezing! :)

5. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

My guys love all types of squash - summer, butternut, acorn, etc. (even spaghetti squash in their mesh self-feeders!). Other things we've tried that I don't see on your list are rutabaga, parsnips, green beans, spinach, regular potato, melon... I'm sure there's been more, but I'm drawing a blank! I'm going to make up a batch of plums tonight!

6. Jody_527

Awesome, Thanks ladies

7. Jody_527

QUOTE(pigsocks @ Nov 15 2008, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1072049[/snapback]
    I have a great cookbook called Blender baby food by Nicole Young. I gave them every combination of fruit and vegetable I could think of.

Different veg to try beets, corn (we had no issues), cauliflower, broccolli, green beans, parsnips

Different fruit to try mango, cantaloupe (mine love it), watermelon, kiwi (recommends not freezing), berries (we had no issues and my sister is allergic, so was a little concerned), cherries

I found with the melons when Frozen it was really running, so added a little cereal to thicken

Thanks alot for all of the other ideas, I am going to try these in my next batch of cooking! Awesome :good: