what do you do with your kids while you shower

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by eehrlich, Jun 13, 2008.

1. eehrlich

eehrlich Well-Known Member

a spin off from the other question about where you put your babies when you shower. that seems easy since the arent so mobile, but what about once they start walking?

2. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

When mine were younger I would wait until they took their morning nap to shower. That way I knew they were contained. Now I just let them watch a show on TIVO and I know I have 20 minutes. Sometimes I shut Elizabeth in the bathroom with me with a few toys if it's not her naptime.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I take a shower in the morning before they get up or right before I go to bed to avoid the issue all together.

4. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

My guys are just starting to army crawl so I am planning on getting the pack and play out putting them in that in the bathroom or waiting until their morning nap...

5. Rose524

Rose524 Well-Known Member

same as before they were mobile - took my showers at night! :D

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I kept a pack & play in the bathroom for a while and put both in it with some toys. When they got too big for that, I switched to naptime showers or if we need to be somewhere, I bring them in with me. We're not quite to the point of them watching a video while I shower. I've tried it and they got into BIG trouble.

7. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

When they were younger I took a shower at naptime which was about 10am, as they get older if there is something I need to do before nap at 12noon I jump in the shower at 6:30am. I have never left them awake and unattended while I shower I am always too scared something would happen and they are not happy in their cribs unless it is naptime.

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I used a Superyard for 2+ years! It worked great. I could turn on Sesame street or something and have my 45 min. RECOMMEND IT!

9. nicolepag

nicolepag Well-Known Member

I would do it during their AM nap and once they moved to one nap, did it before they woke up.

10. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I always shower in the mornings before DH leaves. If I needed to shower when he was gone I would only do it with H & N contained in either a crib or PNP. My older DD would be ok hanging out playing in her room or she would probably want to bring toys in the bathroom. I couldn't even lock my two little ones in the bathroom with me - there is no amount of childproofing that those two can't overcome unsupervised long enough for me to take a shower. Wonder Twin powers activate - form of a twinado!!

11. hikerkira

hikerkira Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ThreeLittleSnowflakes @ Jun 13 2008, 10:09 PM) [snapback]826150[/snapback]
    Wonder Twin powers activate - form of a twinado!!

:rofl: :rotflmbo:

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

honestly when they were small I'd put them in the exersaucer and put in Baby Einstein - now I wait until Sesame Street - its is the ONLY show that they will sit content for nearly the full hour and watch...oh and I have my shower timed to 8 minutes or less!

13. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

Elmo's world starts at 9:40 and I used to plan my shower then. Now Diego is on at 8:30 and that is my time. I do limit how much time my kids watch TV...But having a shower is worth 20 mins of a cartoon!!

Cindy

14. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I do it in the morning while they are in their cribs still or if I am home all day, during their nap time.

15. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

I pretty much only shower when they are asleep.

16. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

I have a mini crib in my room and put them in that with Sesame Street on.

17. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I either shower when they're asleep or in the evening when dh is home to watch them, or they will follow me in the bathroom, strip off their clothes & get in with me!

18. Aprilisdisney

Aprilisdisney Well-Known Member

[SIZE=10pt]I usually shower during their morning nap. Not sure what I'll do when they move to one nap a day...but hopefully that won't be for awhile ;)

April :)
    [/SIZE]

19. butterfly02

butterfly02 Well-Known Member

Right now they come into the bathroom with me and play with toys...for some reason they know if I am having a shower or bath, they can be passed out, and as soon as I get it they wake up. So now, I shower before there nap and then I have more free time when they are sleeping :)

20. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

My boys seem older than most of your little ones...they play while I shower. I leave the door open so I can hear and they can come if any problems.

21. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I shower as soon as I wake up usually while the girls are still asleep.

22. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

If there's something super important to do before lunch, I drag my butt out of bed and do it before the three youngest get up. Otherwise I wait for naptime or when someone else can be here with them. The three of them can destroy a room in seconds flat and like pp no amount of childproofing can keep them totally out of trouble.

23. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Jun 13 2008, 08:46 PM) [snapback]826012[/snapback]
    I take a shower in the morning before they get up or right before I go to bed to avoid the issue all together.

This is what I always tried to do. When they were younger I'd wait until their first nap IF I didn't get one earlier. Now I will pop in and sometimes they will watch! :) Other times the tv will keep them entertained!

24. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I take my showers at night. My DH leaves at 5:30am and I'm not getting up before he leaves.

25. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I put them in their cribs with some books. I turn on some music in their room too. Sometimes they fuss but it only takes me a few minutes to shower. I don't mind if they cry a little - mama needs to shower! It's not like I'm giving myself a pedicure.

26. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

I used to do it during the morning nap, but after that went away, I started getting up and getting ready before they got up for the day. I get up around 7am. Just like I used to do when I worked full time, so not a big deal.

27. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

I get up before everyone else and take my shower. Helps me to wake up and get ready to face the rest of the day. I occasionally have to get dd1 up early but she can get herself ready for school, so I get in the shower while she has b'fast and dresses. Once I get my middle dd up, I have little to no time to shower. If it's not done before that, I have to wait until the little two are "napping" or after bedtime.

28. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

I double lock all doors and windows, put a show on and pray for the best. When things go awry then I post about it on my blog.

29. dmhooten

dmhooten Well-Known Member

I usually don't get one if they are awake and no one else is home, which seems to happen alot these days :huh: Right now when they nap, I really need to nap too so that is usually what I opt to do whether I need the shower or not. Then I just try and fit it in sometime when someone is home. They are starting to try and climb out of their cribs so until we have tents, I can't even trust them in there.....

30. Cathmar

Cathmar Well-Known Member

Most times I take my shower during their nap. But sometimes I need to before then, so I take them with me if no one else is around to watch them. We have a glass door (standing shower) and they like to bang on it and open and shut the door. Not the most relaxing of showers, but really, they haven't been since they've been born!

31. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I go to the gym 3 days a week so they are in the gym child care while I shower. Weekends dh is around so that's not a problem. Other days, well, I guess I don't shower much on the other days. :blush:

32. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I shower when DH is home. Now that its summer, DD1 will watch them if I need to shower during the day. I will sometimes shower during their naptime, but that is my work time so I try to wait until DH comes home and their in bed for the night. I keep saying I'll start getting up earlier than everyone else and shower then, but I get the most work done from 10PM - 2AM, so getting up early just doesn't seem right. :p

33. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

Personally I feel awful all day when I don't have a chance to shower and I don't think it harms the kids at all to spend a little time in their cribs with some board books while I get myself clean, even if they don't think it's the most fun in the world. I only take a few minutes and it's all part of the process of teaching them a bit of patience.

34. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

lately since they are a whole 17 months old now and such big girls - too big for a morning nap <_< I put them in the shower with me - they play in the back of the shower while I bathe and then I stop the drain and turn the shower off just the faucet running with a small stream - they play in the tub until I finish my hair/make up etc then I get them out and we all get dressed! if I do not do that, I just shut my bedroom door and let them play in my room - my bathroom is in my room so I just leave the bathroom door open - most of the time they stand right there and play peek a boo around the shower curtain with me!

I also do not think it hurts them to sit in their beds/pack n plays or whatever for a few minutes - even if they cry. My girls have just learned to climb and I only have one pack n play which they have learned to work together and one acts like a step stool while the other tries to climb out - they have not mastered it yet but the day is coming!!!

wonder twin powers!!!!

35. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

i started bringing them into the shower with me, but after 2 yrs of doing that, it's a little old. I like my morning shower, and I can't bring myself to get up earlier than they do. I'm about to start "room time" where they have to stay in their room while I shower and play or they get a consequence. . . the girls were starting to scale the walls of the PNP at that time they just started walking, and then tried climbing out of the crib, so in the shower w/ me was the safest option. It was an easy way to rinse off the breakfast mess too.