What do you call private parts?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LeeandJenn15, May 6, 2010.

?

What do you call your LOs' private parts?

1. Scientifically correct terms ("penis", "vagina", "butt")

28 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. "Kid"-friendly varations ("pee-pee", "??-don't know for girls", "

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

My DH is big into calling a penis a "pee-pee". I'm more towards just using the real name and teaching when it's appropriate to talk about it. (That's DH's worry - they'll use the word in public and embarrass themselves in front of friends or whatever)

My parents always raised us using the actual words or "privates" or "private parts".

1 person likes this.
  2. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I taught my kids the proper names when they were small.

However, as my boys got older (they are 18 and not-quite 16 now), they did delight in all the variants for "penis," so I would really say "other." I think teaching the proper names is important--we don't make up weird words for other body parts--because I don't want my children to feel shame or discomfort about a normal, healthy body part, and because I want them to be accurate when talking to a doctor. But that doesn't mean they can't learn euphemisms later. I did teach them that these areas are private, and we don't just discuss them at school or the grocery store.

3 people like this.
  3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

We use penis, and pee pee refers to the act of peeing in our house. Sometimes they get confused. Lately, one of the boys has been saying "Eli's penis. Mark's penis. Daddy's penis. Mommy's penis." I keep trying to explain that Mommy doesn't have a penis. I guess they will figure that out when their little sister gets here.

1 person likes this.
  4. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

We use the proper anatomical names. We never really had an issue with them being used improperly, but I have also not been embarassed if the word came up in public. I guess whether they say hoo-ha or vagina in public then they are still referring to the same thing so what's the difference? I'd rather they use the correct terminology for it (although we did have a "bagina" in the house for a very long time :lol:).

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We use the anatomical names for them. They know the right times to say them and when not to say them for the most part.

6. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I'm not sure my parents ever had a name for them, just 'down there' :D I plan on using penis, then maybe testes and anus? What do you guys use for those last two parts?

7. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

We were teaching the anatomical names and penis turned into pee-pee for ds so I just go with it. I don't really care one way or the other and figure when they are older I can teach them the proper terms. Now, though, my dd is patting herself and saying pee pee too (ds likes to point it out when they are in the bathtub and she looks at me and says it and points to herself after he does it) and when I say "vagina" she looks at me like I have lost my mind so we will probably call her privates something else too. Right now they are just starting to tell me that they went pee-pee or poo-poo so we aren't really into the labeling stage anyway just yet!

8. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

We generally use the scientific names. I figured it's best they learn the actual names. However Butt is not scientifically the correct name, it's also the name we use for the buttocks area. I would assume it's the abbreviated and highly acceptable term for that area without offending anyone. As they get older, they can use whatever PC name for those parts. I have been known to call the penis area the "little boy parts", however, but I do use the scientific name more often.

9. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We call it a pee-pee. It's easier for them to say:) I figure they can learn the correct names later on.

10. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

I used the word Vagina the other day when one of my DD's said "what's this?" (that's her new thing these days pointing to everything on earth and asking "what's this?") and my DH said to me "honey why are you saying that!" as if I said a BAD word! I told him "just because you're uncomfortable with the word doesn't mean it's bad!"...so funny the things you learn about your partner after you have kids! but to be honest I would have a harder time saying Penis...luckily I don't have to worry about that one! :laughing:

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Before 18 months, I used kid friendly words but now I am incorporating the correct terms. I have to say that I do have a Beavis and Butthead moment when one of my kids says butt and I have to cover my face so they don't see me giggle.

12. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I voted "other" because I use both. When I'm changing diapers and just making conversation I will say "pee-pee" or "wee" (e.g. "Ok, now we're going to wipe your wee"). Other times I will say "penis", but only when I'm really talking about body parts. I haven't taught them vagina or "kootie-cat" because they don't see them often enough to wonder what they are! :lol:

I will say "behind" or "butt" (not anus or buttocks) and usually relating to them sitting on it. ;)

13. LeeandJenn15

I totally called his testicles his "balls" and my DH didn't like it, but I figured he had to learn at some point. To me, that's pretty common vernacular, even if it's not correct. I call his anus his "butt hole" - again, not the best words, but I prefer that to "anus" - my own issues, I guess :pardon:

14. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I worry that they'll get confused between 'balls' and, well, 'balls' ... Is that dumb? :unknw: Maybe I'll go with 'butt hole' instead of 'anus'. Problem is, I've been too well trained by my parents - I have a hard time saying 'butt' even! We called it a 'rear' :crazy:

15. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i'm like Valerie - we use a mix, depending on where we are, what we're doing, why we're talking about it.

anus is usually just bum and we don't have a boy so i haven't had to worry about testicles yet.

16. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

We use the correct anatomical terminology here. My husband wasn't too comfortable with it at first, but he is coming around.

We both got a good laugh, when the girls were watching Kai-Lan about how she rides on an Airplane to China, and Kaylyn announced that "Kai-Lan is riding in an airplane to Vagina!" :lol:

2 people like this.
  17. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Last year, TS had an amazing talk about this. Post #30 of the thread gave me every reason I needed to teach my kids the proper names. There are a few links in Post 30 pointing out that every study shows that kids who know correct anatomical names are less likely to be sexually abused.

http://www.twinstuff.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124189-what-do-you-call-their-bits-and-bobs/page__st__20

1 person likes this.
  18. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

We use vagina and penis here because it's important to me that my kids be able to properly communicate to adults if someone is doing something improper. My fear is that if we used a cutesy name and God forbid someone hurt my child, an adult outside of our household would not know what my kids were telling him or her.

19. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We used Hooha for a while but then one of my girls had a problem with her "hooha" and I was embarassed to take her to the pedi and have her say "my hooha hurts". :laughing: So we've been using vagina ever since. But I have taught them it's a private word and when they use it, they need to say it quietly to me, or grandma's, etc. etc.

One of the girls said she had some pee in her vagina recently while she was in the tub. My 8 y.o. niece was here and asked what my dd had said. I told her what dd said and my niece said "what is that". Oops, that's right, her parents call it her "business". Guess she had a new word to share with mom and dad!! :blush:

20. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

same here.

21. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we use winky and nuts to refer to DS and nudie to refer to DD (she called it a nudie herself)...and butt for the other end...personally (and I will get flak for this) I don't find that penis and vagina coming out of a 4 year olds mouth to be attractive...again my own issues I guess...

I don't really buy into the "if your kids know the right words they'll be less abused"...I've said this before (and not anything against anyone who does teach the proper terms) I sincerely doubt that an adult is going to confuse "he touched my winky" for anything else...

22. LeeandJenn15

Thanks! That was a great thread. I guess I should have done a search before posting. :)

23. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

thank you for pointing out this thread.