What classes/activities have you found that allow twins to attend with one parent?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JessiePlus2, Nov 18, 2008.

1. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

So far, I've been rejected from a baby signing class and Kindermusik because they require one adult per child. :angry: I wouldn't sign up and take them if I couldn't handle them! I am so frustrated!

If not classes, any other ideas to help me fight their boredom that comes with staying home all day? DS hates the stroller so walks and shopping trips aren't good for us.

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Is there a Kangaroo Kingdom or some other kind of indoor play space near you? That was a lifesaver for us on a few snowy days when our twins were young toddlers. It's not great for babies or older kids (though there are other options for older kids), but it's one of the few places we found where it's actually safe for crawlers and early walkers to roam on their own.

3. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Our library story time, local Knee-High Naturalist (through county parks), and moms club allowed 1 parent. But you are right ---- we have never done Kindermusik, swim, or a few others since it is me and BOTH of them!

KC

4. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

We take a gymnastics class and they didn't bat an eye about 2 to 1 ratio.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but we take gymnastics at a real gymnastics gym...not thru Gymboree, Little Gym or rec center.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We did tumbling! It was great!

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Gymboree offered a pairs class, which was designed for a single parent and more than one child--both of whom had to be mobile. We also did a music class which allowed me to bring them both. I didn't start them in swimming until they were over 3 and could go in without a parent.

7. caba

caba Banned

DH and I take the kids to music class together on Saturday since we both work full time, but there is a mom of twins in our class, and she always comes by herself. There are other parents there with more than one child too (different ages). So I would check with a music class ... since it's not as active, and the kids sit and play instruments, or just walk around a little bit, it's definitely easier to do with a 2:1 ratio

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We have taken all of our classes through local city rec departments, community colleges, and the school district. I have always been allowed to attend alone with both children.

9. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

I joined a local mommies group. I'm a big fan of this now b/c it gets us OUT of the house. Even if it's just to one of the other girls houses for a play date. It also gives to boys time to play with other kids besides each other, and I get to have ADULT conversations! We occasionanally go on 'outtings' and thats great b/c there are at least a few other moms there that take pitty on me and lend me a hand with the boys when I need it.
    I did want to get the boys in a swim class too and couldn't because of the one chld per parent rule. I think there should be an exception to moms of twins. We can naturally handle more :lol:

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At that age I did a music together class with my girls. I happend to get lucky and the teacher I picked was amazing. Funny thing is I'm right on the border between two areas and both classes were at the same time. I picked hers since she offered 50% off the second child and the other place didn't.

I then did a my gym with the girls.

Free stuff I did at that age was the story and play classes at the library as well as story time at the Barnes & Noble (bribe them snacks to make them sit).

11. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Our local Kindermusik class allowed it... I think it depends on the teacher. If you have others in the area you might want to call and ask if they'll accommodate you. It's not too bad.

My Gym (here, anyway) also allowed it, but their setup can be dangerous once your kids are mobile. The teachers in our class are not helpful at all... but that might not be the case at other My Gym locations. Maybe I'm just bad at my mom job, but I find the class to be much less fulfilling (for all of us) now that each wants to go in 2 different directions and now they CAN do it quickly! That sounds like a slam on My Gym, but it's not meant to be-- I like their program. I just don't like it in a 2 mobile kids with one adult setup.

12. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

The Little Gym near me allows one parent for two children. My girls love going there, and it's not too hard to manage two kids with only one adult (yet). The library story time doesn't have any requirements so we do that too.

13. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I have found that classes through the town's rec dept are open to me with the girls. We do a music class that the girls love!

14. gottagiggle&twins

gottagiggle&twins Well-Known Member

Kindermusik, Music Together, Gymboree, Little Gym and My Gym are all very different from location to location what the rules are. In my area we have some Kindermusik teachers that have said OKAY and some that said NO. All of the Music together classes near me allow one parent with two or more children (a triplet mom I know takes her three boys). Gymboree here initially said no, but I inquired further with management and I got the a-ok. Both My Gym and Little Gym near me said it was okay, but I know others who were told no in different areas.

It *is* frustrating, I agree, as I can handle my twins as good as any of my mom friends handle their singletons. Often better :D

15. mpleonard

mpleonard Member

We're doing Little Gym although I will say that the twins won't stay with me at the same time. The instructor and other parents help out some and I go back and forth between the kids. We tried Kindermusik this summer. The instructor was ok with it and said that it was ok if they got up and wondered around but I got the feeling that it bothered her. My kids aren't at a point right now where they sit still in a circle for too long.