What circumstances created the planned C/S?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Jude Rose, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Jude Rose

Jude Rose Active Member

Hi everyone-

I'm tooling around, having a pretty uneventful pregnancy these last several weeks (thank God) and have been daydreaming about my natural, unmedicated, Hypnobaby birth. (if it's possible to think myself into one, I'll win, LOL)

Anyway, so far my OB is all aboard for me having a vaginal delivery with both even if Baby B is breech. The criteria he set up for that happen is Baby A is vertex and I am far enough along and no other surprises (like no/low fluid) show up.

My question is for you out there who do have scheduled C-sections planned. What happened to make that the best choice? I guess I'm fishing to be prepared if my daydream bubble pops.

And I just have to add a chuckle, because it's not a big enough thing to start a whole thread about; I saw my midwife today. I had planned a homebirth before we found out about the twins so I still see her and she'll be at the birth. She laughed when she saw me and said my body is exactly at term-maybe a little tiny bit over. Man, those onesie pregnant ladies have it easy. (this is my first)

2. Jude Rose

Jude Rose Active Member

Hi everyone-

I'm tooling around, having a pretty uneventful pregnancy these last several weeks (thank God) and have been daydreaming about my natural, unmedicated, Hypnobaby birth. (if it's possible to think myself into one, I'll win, LOL)

Anyway, so far my OB is all aboard for me having a vaginal delivery with both even if Baby B is breech. The criteria he set up for that happen is Baby A is vertex and I am far enough along and no other surprises (like no/low fluid) show up.

My question is for you out there who do have scheduled C-sections planned. What happened to make that the best choice? I guess I'm fishing to be prepared if my daydream bubble pops.

And I just have to add a chuckle, because it's not a big enough thing to start a whole thread about; I saw my midwife today. I had planned a homebirth before we found out about the twins so I still see her and she'll be at the birth. She laughed when she saw me and said my body is exactly at term-maybe a little tiny bit over. Man, those onesie pregnant ladies have it easy. (this is my first)

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

First off I commend you for wanting to have a natural childbirth. That is something I never aspired for, but I have a huge respect for women that are willing to go to those lengths.

My C/S was not planned necessarily, but it was assumed that due to positioning, I would most likely have one. When I went into labor at 34 weeks, Baby A was vertex, but Baby B was breech. My peri, under most circumstances, automatically did c-sections for breech Baby B's. I knew that going into it. I researched it, and with his support and my own knowledge gained, I felt that this was the safest way to deliver.

I know there are lots of women who successfully delivered breech babies vaginally. BUT, I personally did not want to choose that. That is just my opinion. But if your doctor feels secure in delivering a breech baby, I would be comforted by that.

On a side note, if you DO end up needing a c-section, it is not the end of the world. JIn fact, Dianne (our co-Expecting mod here) had BOTH a vaginal delivery and a c-section!!!! Just focus and the end product, regardless of how they get here.

4. socalkristi

socalkristi Well-Known Member

I have my c/s tomorrow and it was planned due to my baby A being breech and she is bigger than baby B. I had my son vaginally so this kind of scares me but I just want healthy babies at this point.

5. momlissa

momlissa Well-Known Member

I had a sched c/s with DD (breech), so will have a sched c/s with this pregnancy, at least that's the plan, if I go all the way. It could easily be an emergency c/s, but it definitely will be a c/s.

I would have had a sched c/s even if this had been a singleton. I respect those who go for VBAC but not something I was interested in doing.

6. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

My dd had a planned c/section from day 1. Her peri and ob were adamant about it as she had a mo/di (one placenta) pregnancy and they felt that it was safer to do so. I have heard so many others here with mo/di's that had the option though. DD was fine with c/s so it wasn't an issue for her..
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie and Nana to
    Cameron and Corey

Kristi, good luck tomorrow we will be thinking about you!!

7. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I really appreciate this thread because one of the things I've wondered about is the likelihood of having a vaginal birth for baby A, but needing a c/s for baby B.....it seems like I hear about that happening a lot. I figure if there's a chance of me having to do both things, I would rather just opt for a c/s. I am only 19 weeks though, so I have lots of time to figure out what they're positioning will be in the end.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I wanted to have a vaginal birth for my twins, but my Twin 'A' was breech. So, I had a scheduled c-section at 38 weeks.

9. Mellie03

Mellie03 Active Member

I wanted to have a vaginal birth (I had one for DD and it was great- easiest delivery ever I think!). But, I have complete placenta previa, and have had bleeding and already been in the hospital for a week and now am on bedrest for the previa and preterm labor. It's a bummer because both babies are vertex and without the previa I probably could have had another vaginal birth. Now I'm just hoping to make to my scheduled C section and not have an emergency one because of bleeding or preterm labor.

Good luck. Just remember, no matter how your babies come into the word, the important thing is that you and they are healthy at the end!

Mellie
    DD 2 years old
    30 weeks b/g twins!

10. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I admire anyone who wants a natural childbirth especially with twins. I am such a wimp that with my singleton I hoped for a c-section so I wouldn't have to endure labor, pushing, etc. After 27 hrs of labor including unsuccessful pushing I did have a c-section but that was not how I fantasized it would happen!

So for me, just a repeat, and I'm ecstatic about avoiding labor this time.

11. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Baby A is breech and baby B is transverse! so vaginal is not an option here! plus baby B is estimated to weigh a pound more than A!

12. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I've never had a c/s and don't have one scheduled at this point, but I thought I would reply anyway. I would just ask your OB how many twin births he's delivered that way (baby B breech) and how many were totally vaginal vs. emergency c-section. Obviously some OBs will have more experience than others in that situation and it would just be good to know HIS experience.

With my first preganancy, I was natural everything! No pain meds, vaginal, etc. I had horrible back labor, but I was so glad I did things that way. If I hadn't had losses in between then and now, I would be all for a vaginal delivery again. But now, I just want my babies out healthy no matter how they need to come. Do your twins each have their own placenta or share one? That is also something to take into consideration.

That's so cool that your midwife will be there for the birth! I wanted a homebirth with DD, but DH's family members didn't go for it at all (and neither did DH).

13. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

Mine will also most likely be a scheduled c/s. At first I wanted an at home water birth, then, of course, with twins in Alaska, they don't even consider home births, then, because my twin A is still breech (stubborn little boy!) this makes for an automatic c/s. If he DOES decide to flip between now and then, and there IS STILL TIME!, I can try vaginally even though I might still end up with a c.s for twin B as she is semi transverse at this point. For me, it's all about position, I'd love to try a natural birth and experience the rush of emotions and hormones! Call me crazy!

14. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

I, too, admire you for wanting a natural birth at home. My first born was a vaginal delivery and very easy (sorry - it really was!). Up until a few weeks ago, my doctor was saying we were going to definitely try to go natural with these two. I was elated! He said that as long as the frist was head first, he could deliver vaginally. If the second was breech, he had no concerns about getting her out quickly. Then I had some cord blood flow issues and now a few other things, so he said it would be best to schedule a c section so he could get those babies out of there fast. I was a little disappointed, but I know it must be the right decision for the babies, especially with one of them having the cord issues and being IUGR. As long as your pregnancy is a healthy one and there aren't major concerns, I am sure you'll have nothing to worry about!

15. Jude Rose

Jude Rose Active Member

Good luck tomorrow, Kristi!!! How exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time.

Mellie, what a shame about the previa. Here you have these well-behaved vertex kids right there....but I'm proud of you for sticking it out in bedrest. It's worth every inconvenience.

It's interesting to hear the reasons and I appreciate your responses. My two are vertex right now, but we're so early that anything could happen. My M/W said I have extra good odds at them staying put though because my placenta is in there way up top. (is that called anterior? I think so)

And yes, it's only one placenta. But my doc as well as many in the rest of his group have all delivered twins breech and don;t seem phased by it. A nursed explained to me that the addition of CNM's at the hospital has really calmed everyone down there in their approach to birthing.

Well, we'll see won't we? I'm an optimist, but a realist. I guess that's why I got picked to be twin mom. [​IMG]

16. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

If all goes as planned I'll be having a CS this time. There was really no ONE SPECIFIC reason though, but a combination of reasons. First of all, my first two kids were induced and labor only lasted 6 hours with each of them. So, I move pretty fast and painfully, on top of that my OB says labor with twins typically moves even faster. Second, I have absolutely no desire to go thru labor again IF I can avoid it. The odds are good that we can avoid it because of the other two pregs being induced at 42 wks. Finally, I've got a history of lichen sclerosis on my vaginal area. This is probably TMI, but it makes the skin down there really thin and fragile so it chafes and tears easily. I just don't want to do anything that will make things worse down there...and my OB agrees. So, she's allowed me to elect a no-matter-what-position-the-babies-are-in C-Section. And I couldn't be happier! Now we just get to wait and see if any of this goes as planned or as expected! [​IMG]

HTH! ~Laura

17. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

since finding out it's twins, i have had no real opinion on vaginal vs. c/s. And my twin A has been breech almost the whole time. So when my dr. said c/s a few weeks ago, i was fine. And, given the 8 weeks of bed rest and another 3-4 to go, the thought of inducing and going through labor makes me crazy. Also i've read a few stories on this board of twin b getting stuck and needing a c/s.

I really like the idea that the whole thing will be scheduled and within a few hours of arriving at the hopsital, we'll have two babies. I know there are some downsides, namely potential recovery issues...but these are our only kids - so i'm only going through this once.

I know a lot of people have strong feelings about all natural, etc...but i just want a safe delivery and don't want to risk my boy, who is considered IUGR to be in any distress (he is twin B).

always an interesting topic.
    Miriam

18. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the twins, I had planned on a scheduled c-section but ended up with an emergency c-section....long story.

A couple of reasons for the scheduled c/s. One, the babies were both transverse. Two (and more importantly) a fibroid blocked my uterus and they weren't sure that the babies could get by....

19. Soon-2-BMomof3

Soon-2-BMomof3 Well-Known Member

20. Jude Rose

Jude Rose Active Member

Yes Amber, I've heard that.
    It's not a sure thing though. I've also heard of Baby B get so excited about all that room it goes transverse and there's no getting it out. (I think I rea that right here) The bonus is that the uterus is loose enough to allow the doc to turn the babe. But if he can't and doesn't feel comfortable with breech delivery, then it's time for the C/S.

As I understand it, the biggest problem with singleton breech babies is that the pelvis and cervix opens to the widest span on the baby. In the case of breech, that is the hips. The hips are smaller than the head and that's how breech babies get stuck.

But in the case of twins, it's a different situation. The first vertex baby has opened the cervix to accommodate the head and everything is ready to go. The reason why so many docs choose to actually put their hands up the birth canal to grab the feet of Baby B is the sooner it comes out, the higher the chance that the cervix is still wide open.

As for pain. I guess I'm just o.k with anything that comes. Like I said, I'm doing Hypnobabies and have the benefit of self-hypnosis to numb me out. Plus the induced labors are much harder than natural ones. The contractions come at a hardcore pace and the body is too drugged to release it's own counteracting endorphins to relieve the intensity. So I respect and don;t blame anyone who doesn;t want to go through that again. Yikes.

Thanks for the input. It's been very helpful!

21. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I will be having a planned c-section in February. I had tried for vaginal deliveries with my older daughters, but with both of them I was induced, had about 24+ hours of labor, and ended up with emergency c-sections. This time we are skipping the labor and all of the problems of trying a third time and going straight to c-section. I would have loved to go VBAC, but obviously it just isn't meant to be. I wish you a lot of luck and hope you are able to go surgery-free!
    Helen

22. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Jude Rose:
    I'm an optimist, but a realist. I guess that's why I got picked to be twin mom. [​IMG]

That's a great description and exactly how I am as well. [​IMG]

I had a c-section with the girls are we induced and were hoping for a vaginal delivery. I came down with HELLP so they needed to get the babies out a little quicker.

With this baby, we are also doing the Hypnobabies course. All I have so far is my intro CD but I am very excited. I did not find my c-section to be a pleasant affair and would like to avoid another one if at all possible. It's no fun to recover from major surgery when you need to be taking care of a baby, even though I had no choice. Of course, this baby needs to flip soon or I'll be stuck. [​IMG]

23. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

I'm having a planned C/S due to the fact that neither my Dr. or I are comfortable doing a v-bac with twins, and these guys just can't decide which way they're gonna be anyway. they keep flipping. and I really prefer to avoid doing both a vaginal and C/S. so the only way to avoid both for sure is to just do a C. oh and the shared placenta does play a roll as well.
    HTH
    Michelle

24. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I really wanted a vaginal birth, because I had an all-natural birth with DD and it just went so smoothly. My Baby B is breech, but she's the smaller of the two, so my OB had been very supportive until...

We're having an issue with cord blood flow for Baby B, so because of the nature of that problem, my Ob told me we are just going to have to do the CS now. No choice really if I don't want to put her at risk, which of course I don't! She just doesn't have the oxygen storage that healthier babies would in order to go through labor successfully.

So I gave up my dream as of last week. Oh well, these are my last kids.

25. FOOIKYA

FOOIKYA Well-Known Member

Mine was planned at 36 weeks because baby A was transverse and baby B was breech.

Karen

26. Megos99

Megos99 Well-Known Member

With my first, I was induced and in labor for 36 hours. I ended up getting a C-section anyway, as my pelvis was too narrow. With our second, it was a decision made with the doctor to schedule the c/s as my son was even bigger than my daughter.

For the twins, given my history, natural childbirth wasn't even an option. The doc said we would be having a section. My previous sections have been pretty easy and problem free, so no worries.

27. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

hey sister, just to let you know I just had my 3rd baby ( one of those onesies) and he weighed almost a pound heavier than my twin girls together, and he was 2 weeks early- I even delivered the twins vaginally, and had to have a planned section with him because of his size.
    Sorry but I had to stick up for those onesie mamas- being pregnant period is sometimes hard no matter what ya got cookin'.
    cheers and good luck with the natural birth. p

Drew & Shae Nov 24/03 (4'13 & 5'5 lbs)
    Stone jackson Oct 24/06

28. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

HI there,

I was told early on that I'd have a scheduled c-section -- and my OB was right as twins have less of a chance of flipping past a certain point. (my twin a was breach, b was vertex). Sounds like you have a baby a in vertex which bodes well for a vaginal delivery if your Dr says he/she will deliver with a b breach.

Good luck and keep those babies in for as long as you can. I could have gone longer than 38 weeks and I should have pushed my c-section out 2 weeks -- babies would have been better breastfeeders from the get-go if I had. Oh well... hindsight is 20/20

Teri D

29. Jamiesuzanne

Jamiesuzanne Member

I had a planned C/S with my son and will have with these 2 babies as well. My reasons are a little different than most.

The first reason is I had uterine surgery in 2002 and the peri does not want my uterus to go through a vaginal delivery.

The second reason is that I take lovenox (like heaprin - blood thinners) and the docs like you off it for 1 week before delivery and they try to plan it early enough to avoid that risk, but late enough so you don't deliver too soon. I also had placenta issues starting at 22 weeks with my son so was very happy to make it as far as I did with him. I had my c/s with my son at 36 1/2 weeks and really hope to make it to 36 weeks with these guys.

I am secretly (I guess not to secretly if I am telling everyone here[​IMG] am hoping for 5/6/07. That would be 36 weeks. My peri likes to do his scheduled c/s on a sat or sun and that is a sunday.

30. mom23cuties

mom23cuties Well-Known Member

Jude Rose, just wanted to send you some good luck. Sounds like you and your OB are on the same page. Cool thing about your midwife being there for you.

I took Bradley and I had my first child and my twins without drugs/interventions. All with midwives, though. My second twin was breech. They were both big, too. Keep practicing your Hypno stuff. It will pay off!!!!

Lisa

31. lovebeingmama

lovebeingmama Well-Known Member

quote:
    I really appreciate this thread because one of the things I've wondered about is the likelihood of having a vaginal birth for baby A, but needing a c/s for baby B.....it seems like I hear about that happening a lot.

This is exactly what happened to a lady in the twin club I belong too and her twins ended up born on different days because they let her labor for so long with Baby B.

I had a planned C-section with the twins. I had an unplanned c-section with DD, but due to "failure to progress" they ended up taking her by c-section. (I'm so thankful as it turned out she had her head turned and the cord was wrapped around her neck and would have tightened. A turned head is not coming through the birth canal) Even if the twins had been a singleton, it would have been a c-section as my doctor doesn't believe in VBAC. But Baby A was breech and Baby B was transverse anyway. They didn't want to come out!

32. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

I had a planned c-section because I had a breech baby....but I ended up having an emergency c-section only because it was at 34 weeks instead of my 38 week planned c-section because I developed HELLP Syndrome. PLUS, My doctor wouldn't deliver a breech baby vaginally.