What can I realistically expect from 2wk twins sleep-wise?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Marbear, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Our twin boys (born at 37 weeks) are waking up twice in the middle of the night to eat. I wish it was just once. What is realistic? They are getting 2 oz of ebm on demand (which ends up being every 2-3 hours). I always feed them at the same time (trying to get them on the same schedule). Dh is so gripey when he doesn't get a big chunk of uninterrupted sleep, so now I stay downstairs with them until 10 pm or so (they will be in pack and play or bouncies), feed them for the night. We will then wake up around 1 am and 4 am. I went to my ob yesterday with all sorts of physical complaints and she told me I just needed a nap and to hire a nanny...so helpful. Anyway, what can I expect AND what tips do you have. I have tried giving a formula bottle at night AND using a swing and neither extended the sleep period at all. We can't manage life like this for 3 or 4 more months!

2. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

I think they are doing great if they are waking twice a night. Mine were waking every 2.5 to 3 hours during that time and much longer. Sometimes they would only go 2 hours. Good luck getting sleep. It will come . . .

3. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Twice a night sounds like a blessing. Mine woke up every 2-3 hours for the first few months, then down to twice a night up until recently one of them started only waking once.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

They are only getting up twice a night? [​IMG] That is excellent! Babies this young will not sleep through the night. Actually, sleeping through the night is defined as 5 hours. Babies that age are hungry and they need to eat at regular intervals. I would say get used to getting up at night for at least another month or so. Every baby is different for their sleep needs. I hope it gets better soon, but don't expect a full night sleep for a bit. [​IMG]

5. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I agree, waking twice a night at that age is good. I know that doesn't help you, though, with sleep. I was really lucky & my mom stayed with me for awhile to help. Even still, I was breast feeding and pumping (night, too) so I was up for all feedings. My dh is the same way....a bear if he doesn't get his sleep. Eventually, though, you NEED to get more sleep. I would call anyone you can think of to even just come over for a couple hours in the day so you can get a nap. Do you have a local twins group? When I started going to mine when the babies were a couple weeks old, all the moms were wonderful & offered to come over to help if I needed anything. (Moms with older twins [​IMG] )

If not, maybe you can talk to your dh & let him know how tired you really are. Mine would try to take a turn on the weekends in the morning to try & let me sleep in a little. Otherwise, just forget EVERYTHING else but you & the babies and sleep when they sleep. Don't do laundry, don't do dishes....make dh take care of that for you when he gets home. Even a little bit helps.

6. Kateyes2022

Kateyes2022 Well-Known Member

At that age mine were waking about three times a night. They are still too young to "sleep through" the night. I know its rough right now but your ob is right you should try to nap when they nap. I promise it does get better. Mine started sleeping through at about three months old. HTH

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

They are doing EXCELLENT if they are only waking twice a night... when mine were 2 weeks, I think it was 10PM, 12:30 PM, 3:00 AM, 5:30 AM... I don't remember getting any sleep until they were like 4 months old...

If yours are doing that good now... in another months time they will probably be waking only once!!

Hang in there!! [​IMG]

8. Mommydee

Mommydee Well-Known Member

i know it's hard to hear, but everyone is right. what you are experiencing is completely normal. mine are now 4 months, and we just finally finished night feedings. son still wakes around 4am for a little TLC, but they're pretty much just finally sleeping at night. My husband and i were just saying how the first month or 2 is just a complete BLUR. i really have no clue how we did it, but we did, and you will too! nap whenever you can. if someone can come over for a few hours just 1x a week even and let you get a good nap, that would be helpful. i don't know if you have family in the area or not, but now is not the time to be bashful. ask for help- people will be more than willing to help you, really! you need to do it for your own sanity.
    from all i've heard the first 4 months are the hardest, then it starts to get easier (at least that's what they tell me...!) good luck, i'm sure you'll do fine!

9. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone here. Be thankful if they are only waking up twice a night. It is really hard to function on that amount of sleep and for most of us that time is a blur. It does pass though.

Can you talk to your dh and see if he can take one night feeding and you do the other? Also, try to sleep as much as possible during the day. When they sleep, you sleep. MAKE yourself lie down and close your eyes. I know it seems like there are a million things to do, but sleep is the most important.

Good luck!

10. sse02

sse02 Well-Known Member

Count me in as another "lucky" one! Our guys are 11 days old and are going to bed at 10:45, up in the 1o'clock hour and the 5 o'clock hour. I'm just waiting for them to wake up and not sleep so good.
    I'm counting my blessing for sure! My DH is also getting up with me to help get them fed and back down....so that helps.

11. boogerkw

boogerkw Well-Known Member

When the girl's were that age they were also waking up twice a night and probably did that for the first month or two, than when they got about three months only once a night. Now they sleep through the night (Thank you God!!!).

12. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My twins were waking up every 3-4 hours for the first 6 weeks or so, then their stretches got longer 5-6 hours and especially my girl started to sleep much longer. Now my twin boy will sleep 6 til 3 and my twin girl will sleep 6 til 5-6 am. They're 3 months.

I am sorry to say, but this sounds very normal, and it could very well last for the next 3 or 4 months. If you're lucky, you'll start experiencing longer stretches (5-6 hours) at around 6 weeks.

Even my oldest, who was a great sleeper was still waking up twice at until 4 weeks, then once until 3 months and the she slept 7 to 7. And then with twins you always have 2 anyway. It's hard, but you'll get through it.

13. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you already have some good sleepers! I know that's not what you want to hear, you are going through the toughest part right now. My advice to you is to keep them on a 3 hour schedule during the day (but of course feed them sooner if they are hungry) and let them wake you at night. We did this consistently and ours slept a good 6 hrs at about 6 weeks, then slept 12 hours at about 2 1/2 months which, from what I've read, is really early.

Just keep telling yourself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! My whole world changed after mine starting sleeping through at night!

14. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Well, we had a GREAT night last night. I fed them at 10pm and they ate all their ebm. I offered them an oz of formula (I'm having temporary supply issues because I over-corrected on having too much milk)and they took another half oz. They didn't wake until 3!!!! For that feeding we gave them 2.5 oz as well (previously they could only hold 2 oz). They slept until 6 I guess. I also had turned out the nightlight we were using to check on them if we got up. It was SO dark in the room and I think that helped. Anyway, I feel like a new woman!

Now to fix my breastfeeding issue! I hate using the formula to supplement because it makes their bowel movements seem really painful...crying, pooting, red bottom...all that good stuff.

15. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

You know, the nightlight thing reminded me of something. Someone told us when you're getting them ready for bed & doing that last feeding of the day to turn off all the lights, the tv, and make it as dark & peaceful as possible. We tried it, and I don't know whether it was that or they were just ready but they did seep better. Before, I'd always had the tv on for the middle of the night feedings to try to keep ME awake. [​IMG]