What are you using for birth control

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sisrea, May 6, 2009.

1. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what you other ladies were doing for birth control. I got the mirena put in at i think 7 or 8 wks pp, and i have had bleeding/spotting the entire time i have had it on top of 2 periods already (but my cycles are only around 25-26 days), and a cyst on my right ovary. It is driving me nuts!!! So far not a huge fan... Just seeing what other are doing...

2. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

Sorry, no big help here. Got my tubes done during the c section. Hope you find something that works for you though.

Kenneth- 6lbs 14oz
    Ian- 8lbs 4oz
    Born at 38.2 weeks

3. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I'm using: breastfeeding, endometriosis, advanced maternal age, high FSH, low sperm count, low motility, etc. ;-)

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

abstinence. ha! :rolleyes:

honestly, condoms mostly. my doc gave me a prescription for a low dose birth control pill but mentioned that it can sometimes adversely affect your breast milk supply. well, after all the supply issues i had in the early days i wasn't taking that risk so i won't be back on the pill until after the girls are weaned (or mostly weaned). for us, condoms are a bit of a novelty as this is the first time in our relationship we've had to use them so we're kind of trying to see it in that light.

5. tburke75

tburke75 Well-Known Member

I had the Mirena placed 12 weeks pp and I have had some spotting at times, but I STILL have yet to get my period. It is kinda freaking me out! I stopped breastfeeding and pumping at 8 weeks, so I know that is not it. I feel fine, but it is weird...I haven't had my period in a year and a half! I think my tampons have expired. Not that I am complaining, but I am wondering if I will ever get it with this Mirena!

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Got my tubes tied too, 4 kids and 2 m/c's is enough for me, chances are my next pregnancy would be a m/c too (I have an almost 50% m/c risk). :)

7. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I'm using the NuvaRing and pretty happy with it.

8. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I never did well on any form of BC so condoms for us. Before the babies we actually would just use withdrawal, but now I am terrified of an accident so we are sticking with condoms.

9. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I'm on the Depo shot & while I have heard a lot of negativity about it, I love it & have had no problems or a period in over a year :)

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

prebabies, we used condoms, but I got a tubal when I had my c-section.

I kind of wish occasionally that it would fail, but it's the decision that I made and I'm living with it. I made the decision for permanent BC for a reason, but there's no reason for me to stop daydreaming.

11. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I go the Mirena this time around and I did spot most days for the first 3 months on it. Since then I rarely spot (generally after DTD) and have two cycles since. I love it personally. I was on Yaz after the boys were weaned at 8 months old and well...got B out of the deal so I wouldn't recommend that (I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks before my yearly was scheduled...I was going to change pills at that time).

I tried Yaz early on around 4 months pp with the boys and it dropped my supply big time and I quickly went off of it until later on...so if you're bfing and worried about bm supply I wouldn't do a hormonal bc pill until after you've weaned.

12. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

I am also on the deppo shot and I love it so far.

13. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting a Mirena put in in a few weeks. Hope I have better experience than the OP!

14. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I got the Mirena IUD put in 12 weeks after delivery. I had two periods, then I think I spotted for what would have been two periods, and now I don't have spotting or periods. It totally freaks DH out and he still wants to use condoms even though I have been back to the OB for my annual pap and she assured me the IUD is in place. I think the IUD gives so few side effects for me that I like it best out of all the options.

15. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I have Mirena, the spotting drove me nuts at first ... I was ready to get it out and all of a sudden it stopped. It's great now, very few periods, hardly anything and no side effects, but it does take a few months (which my doc warned me for). So hang in there!

16. EmilyorMLE

EmilyorMLE Well-Known Member

I had the mirena put in 6 weeks pp and i LOVE it! I had spotting at first and occasionally when I wipe, but I love it much more than the possibility of getting pregnant!

17. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Mirena here too. I had about 3 months of spotting and have had one period since then. I'm hoping for no periods, but we'll see.

18. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

Im glad to hear that hopefully the spotting will get better. Hopefully the spotting will start to taper off. My nurse pratictioner who put it in said it was a possibilty for 6 months, but ohy, that would be a pain!! I'm really hoping that it gets better. I like the idea of not having to stay on top of pills and the ability to get it taken out if/when we want more kids. Looks like it might be just a little longer with the spotting...

19. dvigneau

dvigneau Active Member

Im not on anything right now. I have never used birth control just by choice but after I had the twins I wanted to start but my ob/gyn refused to give me any because I had problems with blood clots after my c-section. We DO NOT want any more kids for a long time so I guess it will be condoms from now on. I dont think I can get pregnant anyways because I havent had any periods since I had the girls and I've never breastfed them so I think there is something wrong. I would like to try Mirena because I heard you can still get it even if you have a history of clotting. I read that a lot of women dont like it because of the side effects but everyone on here seems to like it so maybe I will try it.....

20. EmilyorMLE

EmilyorMLE Well-Known Member

QUOTE(3-lil-angels @ May 7 2009, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1305257[/snapback]
    I heard you can still get it even if you have a history of clotting. I read that a lot of women dont like it because of the side effects but everyone on here seems to like it so maybe I will try it.....

I had a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) when I was 19. Testing revealed I have a blood clotting disorder, Factor V. I was on Lovenox my entire prenancy, I really hated sticking myself every day. My OBGYN said the ONLY thing he would give me for birth control was the Mirena.

21. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I got the mirana for the second time! LOVE IT! I had it for 4years before babies and didn't have a single PMS symptom...it was amazing.

I got it at 6wks pp, and had some spotting, got my period 2 or 3 times...but now nothing...and again LOVE IT!

Everyone reacts differently to it, it can take 3-6mths to regulate...I love it, because unlike other things, I have no side effects...err...no negative side effects! :eek:)

22. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Specky @ May 8 2009, 06:34 AM) [snapback]1305347[/snapback]
    I got the mirana for the second time! LOVE IT! I had it for 4years before babies and didn't have a single PMS symptom...it was amazing.

I got it at 6wks pp, and had some spotting, got my period 2 or 3 times...but now nothing...and again LOVE IT!

Everyone reacts differently to it, it can take 3-6mths to regulate...I love it, because unlike other things, I have no side effects...err...no negative side effects! :eek:)

Oh I should have put that in my previous post. I had the Mirena IUD before for about 3 years, then we decided to ttc Max & Lily, so I had it removed. I ended up having fertility issues unrelated to the IUD had ended up having to go the IVF route. Both times I have had the IUD I would have to say I love it compared to any other BC I have tried. I would say give your body time to adjust to it.

23. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I don't like messing with body parts that work, so we use NFP. It's a bit of a pain right now as my cycles are a little messed up from BF, but we should be back to normal in another month or two and at that point it works really great for us. We used it for two years before deciding to try again and getting the twins.

24. mytwins2

mytwins2 Well-Known Member

lucky women. right now, no sex seems to be working just fine us!

25. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jdk247 @ May 8 2009, 01:38 PM) [snapback]1305814[/snapback]
    lucky women. right now, no sex seems to be working just fine us!

Yeah! Sex, what's that?? :lol:

26. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Pregnancy, LOL!!! I have never used birth control other than condoms. And it hasn't been a problem of them breaking, only a problem of us remembering to use them. Ok, that's not even a problem since I love all my babies.

27. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Let's see.. for 7 years it was the pill & infertility. Then after the twins it was 'we didn't get pregnant in 7 years, what's going to change now attitude.' (Evan product of that BC). Now it is snipsville for DH.

28. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Nate and Jack @ May 8 2009, 01:48 PM) [snapback]1305824[/snapback]
    Yeah! Sex, what's that?? :lol:

That sounds like DH's defination of Hallway sex. We basically said FU as we passed each other in the hall from lack of sleep in the early days :rolleyes: . Not really to that extreme, but he kept that joke running for about 4 months. Thank goodness we made it past that point :D .

29. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Almost got the Mirena but chickened out at the last minute and go loestrin 24 and I HATE IT. It's supposed to make my periods shorter and lighter but so far they are longer and heavier. I have constant breakthrough bleeding....the first month I had my period 3 times. I'm definitely stopping after this month's pack and will probably, somehow, get Mirena or it's back to condoms we go (i hate them!).

30. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I just talked to my psychiatrist who's treating me for PPD and he said that any progesterone-based BC would be bad for me because of its depressive effects. Gotta talk to my GYN now about an alternative!

31. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

I have the Mirena for the second time around and again I like it alot. I haven't had a period since it was placed at 6wks PP and I never had any periods with it the last time after a couple months of spotting. Even DH is a fan of it, I don't get all pyscho-crazy period lady with it like I did on oral BC.