What are the risks in carrying big twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by yellow77, Dec 14, 2006.

1. yellow77

yellow77 Well-Known Member

I had an u/s at the hospital today. The u/s tech was freaking out about how big my twins are. I'm 34 wks and at first she thought they were 8 and 6 lbs, then revised to almost 7 and almost 6. She brought the dr in, he asked me if I had gest diabetes, told him no, but that my dd was a big baby, I was a big baby, my dh was a big baby. He didn't seem satisfied w that. He said that they are very big for twins and that I will probably deliver soon. He checked my cervix and it was still good. (3. something?)
    Then he called my dr and I overheard him saying how big the babies are, that they should be taken soon, etc etc. I chatted with a nurse about making my follow up appt for Mon and she said she heard the dr tell my dr I might not make it til Mon?!
    I have an appt with my dr tomorrow and I'll talk to him of course, but I'm wondering - why would they take my babies early just bc they are big? I would prefer to keep them in til at least 36 wks so their lungs are strong. Are there risks to the placenta/cord when the babies are too big? Anyone have experience w this? Thanks so much! Sorry for the long message.

Amy

2. yellow77

I had an u/s at the hospital today. The u/s tech was freaking out about how big my twins are. I'm 34 wks and at first she thought they were 8 and 6 lbs, then revised to almost 7 and almost 6. She brought the dr in, he asked me if I had gest diabetes, told him no, but that my dd was a big baby, I was a big baby, my dh was a big baby. He didn't seem satisfied w that. He said that they are very big for twins and that I will probably deliver soon. He checked my cervix and it was still good. (3. something?)
    Then he called my dr and I overheard him saying how big the babies are, that they should be taken soon, etc etc. I chatted with a nurse about making my follow up appt for Mon and she said she heard the dr tell my dr I might not make it til Mon?!
    I have an appt with my dr tomorrow and I'll talk to him of course, but I'm wondering - why would they take my babies early just bc they are big? I would prefer to keep them in til at least 36 wks so their lungs are strong. Are there risks to the placenta/cord when the babies are too big? Anyone have experience w this? Thanks so much! Sorry for the long message.

Amy

3. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

my first 3 children were all pretty big babies and i went between 3 and 6 days over due and still was induced with all 3. mine weighed 8lb 2oz, 7lb 15 1/2oz, and 7 lb 10 1/2 oz. i don't know what will happen wtih my twins and seeing as i am only 8 weeks now i don't think that i will know the full answer to that until i have mine. but i would think that they are just getting ready and that they want you to prepare yourself just in case. i have faith that they will be just fine! and you are going to do fine as well.
    lots of love!
    meshell from gulfport, ms

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of any risks carrying big twins. The only thing I can think of is that maybe your due date if off and you might be further along than you think. But I still don't see how that would be risky. Let us know what your dr. says. BTW u/s can be off by as much as 10%.

5. 2blessed

2blessed Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 32wks and 5days and weighed 5lb8oz and 5lb12oz...I'm sure if I went to 34wks they would have been between 6-7lbs....no concerns here if there is no gest diabetes....

With the big size, they run out of run to grow and perhaps they wear down the placenta faster...I don't know...you should ask them what they are concerned about. But my doc had no concerns with me and even said that my girls were measuring bigger than most singletons did at that gestation.

6. yellow77

Yes, I wonder if that is the concern too (about placenta). I will ask my dr and post back tomorrow. Baby A was measuring 40 weeks on some measurements!

7. AWillow

AWillow Well-Known Member

I have a friend who was induced a few weeks early because her baby was big. I'm not sure of the risks involved with large babies, but they do seem to try and get them out earlier.

Whatever happens I hope you and your babies do well.

8. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting thread. I wish I had some insight about it. I am very curious to see if they induce you early based on an estimated calculation of their birth weights. Because u/s can be off up to a pound, can't they? Please keep us posted on what they decide!!

9. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

I think they say there is a 21 day margin of error on u/s in your 3rd trimester... which means they could be bigger or smaller than the u/s is showing... I would bet that they're worried your dates are a little off and that the placenta may not work properly after a few more weeks. Or, maybe they're not wanting you to have to deliver two really big babies if you're opting for a vaginal delivery? I dunno.. definitely let us know what they tell you!

10. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

My mother had twins, and my brothers were 8 and 7 pounds. She had a normal vaginal delivery and everything! Of course this was before ultrasounds, so no one was the wiser....but as far as I've heard, the bigger the better. Less NICU time etc. I also just met a lady who had twins who were both 8 pounds. 34 weeks seems a little early to take babies just because they are a good size! I imagine I will be in a similar boat down the road based on my family history as well (I was 10 pounds, my ds was almost 9, and my siblings were all big as well.)

11. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I am in the exact same boat! Last Fri I saw my peri, who estimated each twin was 7 1/2#. My boys have been measuring in the 98% the whole pregnancy & my singleton was 11# at birth (no GD either pregnancy).

Anyway, my peri insists no matter how much they keep growing I am not to deliver until 37+ weeks. He said their lungs, even brains are still maturing and big doesn't equal healthy/there are no risks carrying large twins.

However, my OB wanted to perform the c-section last Fri b/c she thinks my ribs are broken and I have really been suffering since about 31 weeks. I have a small frame and this is the worst pain/pressure I've ever had in my life. So I am now on percocet until my scheduled c-section date (12-29) and if the pain continues to get worse I'll be hospitalized w/ an IV or epidural until then. According to my peri, this kind of pain mgmt is standard/safe w/higher order multiples just to get the moms as far along as possible.

If you want to carry them a few more weeks I don't see why the drs would insist on delivery. The only reason they considered intervening with me was I could not bear the pain any more.

Feel free to PM me for more info & good luck!

12. Twinium

Twinium Well-Known Member

Honey, you probably don't have to worry. Ours were measuring in U/S over 8lbs each. We went to 38 weeks and 6 days, and they were 7lb 1oz and 6lb 8oz. Granted, I was a scheduled C/S because they were so big AND breech/transverse, with no room to move them even if we wanted to, so that might have made a difference. Still, even the best U/S tech can't be exact with a weight guess. Talk to you doctor about your concerns. Good wishes to all of you!

13. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Ours were measuring in U/S over 8lbs each. We went to 38 weeks and 6 days, and they were 7lb 1oz and 6lb 8oz.

Good point, I am so curious as to the accuracy of the estimates. Since I did carry an 11# 2 oz, 23 inch singleton I have something to compare this pregnancy to...I feel MUCH worse and belly is MUCH bigger but who knows by how many pounds.

My peri is convinced my babies will be huge and has been doing the U/S's himself because he's so fascinated. BUT the technology itself isn't exact. Can't wait to find out and more importantly GET THESE TWINKIES OUT!!!

14. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Mine were estimated at 6lbs1oz and 6lbs15oz at 34 weeks, measuring 2 weeks ahead. My dd was over 9lbs. The twins were born at 38w2d at 7lbs11oz and 7lbs10oz, both vaginally without any problems.

15. yellow77

I had an appt with my regular dr today. He said that the twins' estimates are great and that he's not worried. He wasn't sure why the u/s dr was so freaked out - he said it would be harder to deliver them vaginally of course, but baby B has been breech for a long time and we're assuming I'll do a c section anyway. He did say that carrying big babies at the end can cause maternal distress (irish37, i can sympathize!) and also there can be concerns about placenta and cord blood flow and fluid levels, but I will be monitored all the time from here on out to check these things. I go back on Monday again! That's a lot of dr appointments. Thanks for everyone's encouragement. I really want to keep these guys in until 36 weeks if I can. Sometimes it feels like I'm just going to pop though and I brace myself for my water to break!

16. Jude Rose

Jude Rose Active Member

I'm really glad you got such good advice here and have two doctors to talk to. I agree with your OB, not the peri. I've heard amazing stories of weights being off on later U/S's-even the New Parent magazine I was reading yesterday mentioned an estimated birth weight of 9 pounds and the babe was only six!

Good job keeping those babies in, mama. You're doing great!

17. mom23cuties

mom23cuties Well-Known Member

Mine twins were both 8+ lbs. at birth--of course, I carried them to 40+ weeks. I didn't see it as a problem--rather a blessing. The birth was without complications--I have my midwives to thank for that [​IMG]

My first child was one ounce short of 9 lbs. and I was shooting for 7-8 lbs. each with the twins.

Good luck to you!!
    Lisa