What age would you let your kids watch Ghostbusters?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Aug 25, 2011.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So.....no matter what, I am in the wrong. Let it be known. We rented Rio off of the AppleTV, and unfortunately it took over an hour to download! So instead it will be watched in the am. DH gave the kids a choice for movies...Jurassic Park, Yogi Bear, or Ghostbusters.

Remember-no matter what, I am the bad guy.

The kids picked Ghostbusters. I put the kids to bed. Nicholas tells me there are ghosts under his bed. Anthony tells me Nicholas tells him scary things about animals coming in their room at night.

I mention to dh my displeasure about them watching said movie. He says, "I can't just hang out with my kids! Fine. I won't do any of it then!" WTH?!?! Because I don't think a THREE YEAR OLD(oh, and let's not forget the two year old sitting there as well) should be watching Ghostbusters or Jurassic Park? No matter what I say, I am in the wrong and he gets so defensive. "But they picked out the movie!" And-you are the adult!

I told him they would love watching Clifford the Big Red Dog with him-it doesn't matter what movie! Just make it age appropriate! And-I've said something to him before about it-and he just won't listen to me.

Would you-or dh/so let them watch movies like this? Now-he fast forwards through a bunch of parts-they aren't watching it start to finish. But still.

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but I am always wrong about this, too. Paul watches anything and everything he wants while the girls play in the same room. Drives me batty.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

My husband does this with our oldest. Informs me that he is old enough to watch Indiana Jones etc. I told him that if he picks movies like that, he deals with the consequences. I handle it like this: They watch a movie, DS comes in and is sacred, I inform him to go talk to daddy about that. Ghosts under the bed? Call your husband in to get rid of them. Once I made the consequences know, DH started screening the movies.

1 person likes this.
  4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Mine just watched it a few weeks ago. My younger 2 will be 6 next month and DD1 is 8.5. That said, I was still hesitant even at that age. They haven't had any issues with it though. I do think 3 is too young.

5. megkc03

Oh-you can bet dh will be dealing with the consequences! I told Anthony the animals were sleeping and we see them at the zoo, park, etc. I'm downstairs and they have to get through me first! :laughing:

I just want my kids to be innocent a bit longer...is that too much to ask?!?!

6. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Definitely not at 3...we have problems with Spy Kids 3D, LOL. And now, earthquakes! Jesse is still freaked. I'd definitely let DH take care of the issues that came up, if he let them watch an inappropriate movie!

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

They girls watched it at 5 and loved it but I agree 3 would have been too young

8. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Sorry but I would say definitely NOT, my kids would be scared to death for weeks (not to mention the movie would be mostly above their heads - the only message they would get is that there are ghosts out there!). Yup, DH gets to deal with the consequences for starters. Perhaps you can work on the kids during the week when dh isn't around to work on what their "favourite" movies are, that way when DH asks they have a more age appropriate answer! Good luck, that would drive me batty too! I don't let anyone watch adult or older kid shows when my kids are around (in our house), because my kids actually do pay too much attention to the show and then have all kinds of age-inappropriate questions.
    My dad let me watch the movie pirhanna when I was about 8yrs old, I had nightmares for weeks, and wouldn't sleep under my covers because I thought the fish would bite my toes!!

And, honestly, my kids would never sit through a movie like that, I am lucky if they sit for 30min of mickey mouse, let alone a 2hr movie!

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

No way! definitely let him deal with it!!!!

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

No no no no no! My DS still gets a little scared at Disney movies. We are firmly in the cartoon G and PG camp--pushing boundaries with Shrek and Kung Fu Panda and Rio. There is no way either of us would let them watch Ghostbusters. I don't know what the right age is. Sometime after 6?

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't want to deal with the fall out after that movie. How did they sleep?

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also agree with this. I was a bit miffed that my DH let the kids watch Star Wars already. Thankfully nothing in the movie scared them but to me that's at least a 5-7 year old movie. I would put Ghostbusters in the same category.

13. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Oh holy heck no! Fortunately, DH and I agree on what movies/TV shows our kids are allowed to watch so I don't have to fight that fight. If you think it might help, show your DH the website for Common Sense Media. It has fantastic listings of movies, books and shows for kids all arranged by age. The best part is that it explains why certain shows aren't appropriate for little kids. We check out any movie on Common Sense Media before showing it to our kids - fewer surprises that way.

14. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My DH is just starting to realize how much the kids pick up from TV. He will be watching a show and they will start asking questions about it. He is a lot more aware of how some of his shows might not be quite appropriate for them and is much better about changing the channel now and picking appropriate movies. I hope his movie selections improve and your kids weren't too scared.

15. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

No way! My guys got concerned watching Winnie-the-Pooh for pete's sake!! I would *never* let them watch Ghostbusters! They would be terrified, and I really don't want them to become desensitized to things this young. I saw the new Harry Potter movie in the theater a few weeks ago; next to us was a couple with a little girl that had to be 2.5-3 years old. She sat quietly the entire time, sucking her thumb. I can't imagine what she watches at home that explosions and children *dying* onscreen didn't phase her. :(

I don't want to shield my kids from everything, but I want to expose them to the media on *my* timeframe. Luckily DH is on the same page. :)

16. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

tell him he's outnumbered here... NO WAY! i still have to fastfoward thru parts of disney movies cuz they ask me to. and yes, let DH deal with the middle of the night wake ups!

and p.s. moms are always the bad guys, no matter what the situation! lol boooo!

17. megkc03

Thanks ladies! I think, generally speaking, this is a male thing and daddy and his boys. They are eager to watch these movies with daddy. *I* want them sticking to Mickey and Co! While watching, Anthony covers his eyes, which is cute in the sense of seeing him do it, but clearly, he is spooked by it.

And I will be honest, there have been no ill effects from the shows. They slept perfectly fine-actually past 8 am! And they only mentioned a little bit of it to dh when they woke up. So in all honesty, they are not helping my cause! :laughing:

And I do really think, that they look up to dh. So they see him watching it, getting excited, etc-they want to be just like him. :wub: I just wish they would put a tool belt on and head outside and do some work or something! :laughing:

18. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Sorry. I wouldn't let my 6 year olds watch it yet. Beetlejuice too!

19. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ugh. Never Beetlejuice. I hate that movie.

20. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

21. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

I think it is a common parenting dilemma. It's really important to consider their individual sensitivities and maturity. I've found that platforms like Frndly TV offer family-friendly content alternatives, which can be a great way to ease kids into more age-appropriate entertainment choices before they're ready for something like Ghostbusters. Ultimately, the key is to be mindful of their comfort levels and ensure their first exposure to such films is a positive experience.