What age did you introduce scooters and roller skates?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cupcake, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cupcake

cupcake Well-Known Member

When did you start scooters and roller skates? Any recommendations for good ones?

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twins have been riding scooters since they were about 28 months old (the 3 wheel kind). They do great.

My oldest DD got skates at age 3 and she could do them fine with help then.

3. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

I just got my boys a couple of 3-wheeled scooters this summer after they turned 4. I still think they are too young for skates. Maybe next year, they can give them a try.

4. debid

debid Well-Known Member

3-wheel scooters at 2 and skates at 3. They are quite good on the scooters as long as we stick to flat places. They scoot-walk in their skates across the carpet, tile, and hardwood floors but aren't stable enough yet for me to take them to the pavement at the park. FWIW, skates are actually pretty high on the dangerous toy list because of falls and the Little Tikes skates we have are no longer being made (which is why I got such a fantastic deal on them...)

5. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

My kids got scooters for their 2nd birthday, and will get skates early next year.

6. li li

li li Well-Known Member

Because of all the rave reviews, we bought the girls some Mini Micro Scooters a couple of months back. They're amazing. Whenever we go to England I see kids everywhere using them and they seem to continue using them until they're around 6 and grow into the two wheel kind. Our girls are good at the scooting bit but yet to fully get the hang of the steering business yet - but they're also rather small for their age. But even then they love them.

7. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I'm ready to get the girls on some skates now! They'll be two at the end January. They LOVE playing with mommy's skates and do quite well shuffling around on the carpet. I've been looking for some adjustable skates that will fit them now and for a little while with locking wheels that they can wear over their shoes. I know I've seen them, but its been ages. I'm pretty sure they were made by fisher price, but I can't find them now. Now everything is branded with a cartoon character. Grrr!

8. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Scooters are a great idea for a Christmas gift. Thanks! It's so hilly here, but these would be so portable. And we need to work on our balance.

I want to get them ice skating this winter too.

9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We started 'adjustable' skates this summer (3 levels of difficulty---wheels locked, front wheels locked, and nothing locked) they are adjustable adn I got them at yard sales.

I did see them at ToysRus last week for 15$--my first skates. Pink or red.

KC

10. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

2 years old for the 3 wheel scooter. We have a super cute Radio Flyer one that has lasted really well and gets a lot of play from everyone.
    My oldest got inline skates for his 4th bday. He does pretty well, but doesn't use them a lot.

11. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids are 4, turning 5 in January. This past spring/summer we did 2-wheel scooters and roller-skates. They've done wonderful with them and we get out and do it everyday the weather permits. They rarely fall on either anymore. I got the Target skates (regular skates, not the over the shoe kind). And dh found some scooters at yard sales for dirt cheap that they use. Timothy is so active, but he is awesome on these and does well. We even pull out the scooters if we want to go for a walk to the post office or something. I'll walk and they use the scooters.

Btw, whichever one you choose, make sure you get knee-pads. We have a wonderful concrete driveway for skating but it's a requirement to use kneepads for either. We live on a cul-de-sac and if they want to go out on the loop they MUST wear helmets also if they leave the driveway.

Marissa

12. cupcake

cupcake Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to start them on the 3 wheel scooters for now. I think Radio Flyer has one with the adjustable handlebars and bell. Maybe next year, we'll do roller skates. I appreciate all the tips too!

13. Carefulove

Carefulove Well-Known Member

Scooters - I think 3 or 4
    Roller skates - They each got a pair for their 5th Bday but won't be using them until the spring there is no playing outside these days, is too cold!