We're DONE!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tdemarco01, Sep 3, 2007.

1. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

We’ve officially weaned!!!

I nursed and pumped to provide breastmilk for Cole and Wyatt for 12 months 24 days!!!

I can’t believe it’s OVER – 12 months ago, I didn’t believe I’d make it to 3 months let alone to nearly 13 months. Add to that the dietary restrictions at 6 months and it’s a wonder I’m here at all.

We got through our share of hurdles:
    1) Jaundice
    2) Wyatt’s tongue tie – and subsequent poor latch
    3) what I thought was thrush-but was not -- too bad we treated it for 6 weeks!!!! Not to mention I gave up sugar for that time. Arghhh!! (tossing out 90 ounces of milk that wasn't tainted!!!)
    4) Wyatt’s inability to breastfeed and the decision to give up on breastfeeding and pump full time for him
    5) diet restrictions – seafood, peanuts, soy and dairy – limited other nuts (due to hubby's family history)
    6) chronic cracked nipples thanks to the pump
    7) concerns over milk supply that came up throughout the whole year
    8) never being able to just go to bed when we did get out at night cause I had to pump
    9) pumping between 1am and 3am every day for an entire YEAR!!!
    10) nipple sores (aka holes) from the space between Cole’s teeth and my nipple getting caught in between

We triumphed over all of this and my boys NEVER once had formula. Even in the hospital when I had to fight the attending pediatrician to let me pump EBM to feed Cole who was jaundiced.

At my height of milk production I was producing 70 to 80 ounces of milk a day!! That’s over 2 litres.

Needless to say I’m glad to have my “tippy tips” to myself ;-) and I’ve enjoyed a few nights of sleeping on my belly, a treat I’ve not experienced for nearly 2 years!

I had peanut butter cup ice cream today and expect to have oysters on the half shell soon (another food I haven’t eaten in nearly 2 yrs)

Cole & Wyatt are my reward. They are healthy, smart and super fun.

Hooray for breastfeeding, but a double hooray for being DONE!!

Teri

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:clapping: WTG!! Congratulations!! You made it!!! You definitely had some hurdles! PLEASE copy this and past it up in our SUCCESS STORIES sticky. It's our 'wall of honor' in this breastfeeding forum!! WTG MOMMA!! Enjoy your P&B, oysters & tummy sleeping!

3. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

Wow! Congratulations! :banana:

I'm working towards a year myself and know how challenging it can be, and I didn't have nearly the challenges you did.

Way to Go!

[​IMG]

4. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! You did a wonderful job :banana:

5. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

WoooooooooooooHooooooooooooo Mama! What an awesome job!

6. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

WOW! Way to go! What an inspiring story. That's devotion. Congrats on a good long time nursing. :bow2:

7. DenaP

DenaP Well-Known Member

Good for you! You are where I want to be in 7 months!
    Sounds like you made it through the hardest of times.
    Thanks for sharing your story.

8. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Teri, congratulations!! That's absolutely wonderful! You have made huge sacrifices for your boys and you should be proud, proud, proud! :Clap:

I missed out on PB for about 6 months due to allergies, and let me tell you, it was heaven :angel: getting to eat it again. Enjoy, you deserve it :)

Michelle

9. Phia713

Phia713 Well-Known Member

WTG!!! Great job, mama!!! :a_smil09:

10. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

WTG :banana: You have/are a great support for this board, hope you stick around :good: