We're doing good, BUT....

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

PT is going good, they walk around saying "potty? Potty?" ALL day long. The one thing I can't do though, is figure out how to keep them ON the toilet!

We have two little potty's, but took one apart and put the seat on the big toilet someone can use that. They can't even stay on that one for more than a couple of minutes. They're so antsy all the time, up and down, up and down..... This could go on for as long as we let it. We tell them sit down, threaten them within an inch of their lives, but they just CAN'T sit still for more than a few seconds!

How do we get them to sit still?? They are only 22 months. They are more than read to be PT, daycare is working on them with us. Neither one has issues pooping in the big potty, flushing the toilet, etc... They are more than fascinated with the whole process. I just need some tactics to keep them to sit still long enough. Sometimes they will end up peeing places other than the toilet, like right in front of it (cuz they can't sit still) and a couple of times we've had a poopy accident too (right in front of the toilet instead of in it) We sit right there with them, so it's not like we put them there and walk away. Just by the time I catch them doing it, some of it has already gotten on the floor, seat of the potty, etc.....

2. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Can you give them raisins to eat while they are there? Or something they have to kinda play with one at a time?

My son was much older so it was easier to communicate with him and tell him to sit down and stay there. I wish I had better advice! :hug:

3. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

I have been sticking a sticker on each knee of all 3 kids, they play with the sticker for a couple of minutes but sometimes that seems enough. Good Luck!

4. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

Maybe try reading them a short book while they sit? It's so far working with one of mine!

5. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Maybe give them a book to look at?

Honestly, my first trained DD didn't do this, she was ready when we tried the first time. My second DD was not ready, and she was up and down constantly. She wouldn't sit still on the potty. Now, about 2-3 months later, she's ready and will sit there and look at her book.

6. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I gave mine M&M's. As long as they stayed on the potty, they could have an M&M. I tried to feed them superslow so they wouldn't have a ton. It worked for us.