We're Doing CIO Tonight

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jenniferkkelly, Nov 14, 2008.

1. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

After many, many, many months of serious sleep deprivation, DH and I have decided to let the twins CIO starting tonight. We had their 6 month checkup earlier this week & the pedi gave us the okay (in fact, he's been encouraging us to do this for a while because he did it with his own twins). I'm really nervous about it because I've heard all kinds of horror stories, like babies vomitting, and I just hate hate hate listening to them cry. I've fought the idea of CIO for a long time, but I finally realize that it is best for them. They haven't been sleeping very well (at night or during naps) and I'm sure they are sleep deprived too. So we'll try it & cross our fingers & hope it works for us fairly quickly!!

Wish us luck!!!

2. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Good luck tonight! We did CIO and it only took them one or two nights to get it. We have had some set backs here and there because of fevers and teeth, but the best thing you can do for them is be consistent. Good luck- I know how hard it is to hear your babies cry, but just remember that crying doesn't mean they're unhappy and as long as their needs are met- they're dry, fed, etc, then they are just tired and you're giving them the tools to self soothe! Heres to more sleep!! :)

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

good luck! and dito the PP on consistency - the less consistent you are, the longer it will take them to learn what you're trying to teach them (self-soothing). and here's some :hug: :hug: :hug: because it's definitely hard to listen to your babies cry, even when you know all their needs are met.

4. tigerbabysmum

tigerbabysmum Member

havent had to do it with the twins yet, however I did it about 1972 when one of my daughters was 7 mths old, took about 2 or 3 times of absolutely screaming to show her I ment it, sat outside the door making sure I could hear everything, we didnt have monitors then. she stopped when she found out I would not come in. just be persistant , good luck

dont go in unless they are gagging, its hard very hard but well worth it,

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Hang in there!!! :hug: Ok, here's the dealio from a BTDT Mom. SET A TIMER! TURN OFF THE MONITORS and go FAR AWAY (in the house). Give them 10 min. to start - see where they are (if you can't hear them, then turn on monitors) in the crying process. I was shocked when mine would go like 12 min. and that was that! :eek:

Also, have an open mind, but remember. EVERY TIME YOU GO IN YOU START OVER!!!! :hug: :grouphug:

6. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Good luck!!

Dianna

7. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

good luck! i just did cio with ds cuz he refused to go to sleep and would cry no matter what i did. it was hard but he only cried for 15min or less for all naps and bed the first day. second day he went down for naps with no crying, and bedtime was 5min if that. you can do it! i cried the entire time :)

8. nymom4

nymom4 Well-Known Member

:hug: Good luck ~ the first few nights are hard but it does get easier! Let us know how it goes!

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

How did it go last night? :hug:

10. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Hope it went well last night. :hug:

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hope it went well for you last night! Good luck!

12. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

After getting all psyched up to do CIO, we had to postpone it!! I picked up the babies from daycare & DS had a runny nose, congestion, and a really bad cough. And he'd slept all day which wasn't like him so I know he's sick. So I just felt like I couldn't go through with CIO with him not feeling well. So we're postponing it till he gets better. I'm hoping maybe next weekend we can do it again?

I must admit I was disappointed because I've been mentally preparing myself for this all week. However the funny thing is that the babies went down at 8pm last night, woke up at 5am for a brief bottle, and then DS slept till 7am and DD slept till 8am! It was one of our better nights, oddly enough!

13. nymom4

nymom4 Well-Known Member

I hope he's feeling better soon! Glad you all got some sleep last night! :hug:

14. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(jkk922 @ Nov 15 2008, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1071797[/snapback]
    After getting all psyched up to do CIO, we had to postpone it!! I picked up the babies from daycare & DS had a runny nose, congestion, and a really bad cough. And he'd slept all day which wasn't like him so I know he's sick. So I just felt like I couldn't go through with CIO with him not feeling well. So we're postponing it till he gets better. I'm hoping maybe next weekend we can do it again?

I must admit I was disappointed because I've been mentally preparing myself for this all week. However the funny thing is that the babies went down at 8pm last night, woke up at 5am for a brief bottle, and then DS slept till 7am and DD slept till 8am! It was one of our better nights, oddly enough!

That's actually a great start. Could be the start of something beautiful - after he gets done coughing etc....

15. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Maybe they decided they would start sleeping better so you didn't have to cry along with them! :) Wouldn't that be wonderful? You never know....

Good luck when you start it - and I hope your little guy is feeling better soon. :hug:

16. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

When you do decide to do it, the thing that worked best for me was to hop in the shower: I couldn't hear the screaming, my husband had to deal too, and I got clean without having to forfeit nap time.