went to L&D last night- it was nothing, I guess!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by julesbabies, Mar 23, 2008.

1. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

I was 24 weeks yesterday. Yesterday my feet were killing and I just felt really bad. I came home at 3:30pm and laid down and started paying attention to my belly. It was hardening, I think??!! It is so hard to tell if it is the babies moving around or a contraction. I will get this lump around my belly button. Also, when I stand up, my whole entire belly gets really hard. This always happens when i get out of bed, etc..

Anyway, I also was feeling something that felt like gas bubbles, pains down my sides... So, at 8:30pm, I called and they said to come up. Since I also mentioned that i have been having waterlike discharge (only about tbsp. at a time) off and on for the past couple of weeks. Honestly, I thought it was just pressure on my bladder causing some "leaking".

I went in and was there until 1am. They put monitors on and the babies were moving so much that they could not track them for the 20 minutes that they were looking for. They did an exam and everything looked fine, no broken membranes, closed hard cervix and everything else that they look for was okay. They did an ultra sound since they could not track the babies with the monitors. They let me go saying everything was fine.

So, I was just feeling, I dont know what. I still dont know if they were contractions or what!!??? I guess I was just overly worried. Non-the-less, I do think it is time to slow down and start listening to my body and these two little guys inside.

2. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I took a class this past week on preventing preterm birth. Very helpful!

One thing that I came away with was how to determine if what you are feeling is actually a contraction. The instructor said that for those of us first-time moms (not sure if you are or not?), our abdominal muscles are generally pretty tight. When you are standing up, it may feel like your uterus is very firm and tight (like a contraction). She suggested sitting in a chair and kind of slouching back to relax the ab muscles...and then press your lower abdominal area to see if it still feels tight and firm. The whole uterus will feel tight, not just in a localized area if you are having a contraction.

Another very important thing was to make sure you really start to slow down right about now (22-24 weeks). Take it easy and get as much rest as you can from here on out :)

Glad everything turned out okay!! Good for you for calling...it's better to be safe!!

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad it was nothing. But I agree with PP, better to be safe and get it checked out.

4. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

sounds like braxton-hicks to me, they can be a doozy!!!

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug99: I'm happy to hear it was nothing.

6. laura305

laura305 Well-Known Member

happy to hear it was nothing... when i had the preterm issues with my son... I seriously felt like someone was bear hugging me around the top of my abdomen and ribs it wasnt just tighness.. cause i didnt feel it all the time.. It was contractions. I complained to my dr at my 24 week appt... low and behold i was right. Better to be safe than sorry.. I learned to try to take a bath and just relax in the tub when you're layed back.. it helps you relax and should help with the BH's if you get out of the tub and go lay in bed for a while see if you feel better. The way i learned is when my belly got hard, it'd get hard for like a minute or so.. then relax.. you could feel the difference.. It wouldnt just stay a solid ball. LOl and the babies dooo push out and it does feel painful :D lol mine do it all the time.. LOL its kinda cute.. :D

7. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I had the same issue around 24 weeks, it was BH. I went in also, it is so important to listen to your body and call, I felt really stupid after I found out it was nothing, but I would rather feel that way than be sad that I hadn't gone in when I should have. Good call momma, and I agree, you should start slowing down. You should also make sure you are drinking enough, I know when I don't I get more BH.

Jen

8. mricharde

mricharde Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that everything is fine. I agree with pp, it is so much better to call and know than to worry and wait :)

9. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

That sounds like BH to me also. Did they hurt? Either way, better to get checked, though sometimes once you are there, it takes a lot to get them to let you leave - so I'm glad you escaped once they determined it was ok.

10. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

im glad it was nothing! its so hard to tell the real from BH im on my 3rd pg and i STILL have a hard time telling:(

11. babydrivers

babydrivers Well-Known Member

Trust me, better to be safe than sorry! I've been experiencing BH for weeks thinking it was just normal...no real pain, thought it was kinda cute. After a regularly scheduled peri appt last Wed, I found out that my seemingly innocuous BH were causing changes to my cervix. I was measuring 1.7 (very dangerous!) and dilated 1 cm already!!! After a couple of nights in the hospital, steroid shots, terb and mag sulfate, they sent me home on strict bedrest and 10 mgs of Procardia every four hours.

It's hard to believe that I've fallen into the PTL category...Completely unexpected after two full-term singleton births with no complications whatsoever. Welcome to the world of twins!!!

Be safe....If you ever experience anything that is every close to PTL, go get checked. You just never know!

Good luck to you!!!