Well this is an unexpected problem

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lawilliams77, Jan 16, 2010.

1. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

We have encountered a problem with one of my DS's over the past few night. We've been battling upper resp infections for a while now, but suddenly, he won't allow us to lay him down at night. My husband and I split shifts with him last night and so we are both sleep deprived. I certainly didn't think we'd be doing this at 7 months. They are usually still up 1-2 times per night. I gripe about that but I'll take that back over this anyday. :drown:

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sorry Leslie, that sucks. Is it b/c he's having trouble breathing when lying down? Do you have a humidifier going near his crib?

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My first thought is ear infection. Most babies with them don't like lying down. I had one last week and I could only sleep if I laid on the infected ear or it felt like I was spinning. :unknw:

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I thought ear infection too. They are much more painful when you are lying down. Has he had any fever at all? Pulling on his ears?

5. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I'd definitely get the ears checked. Not wanting to lie down or continuous waking at night has usually turned out to be an ear infection in our case. Ours have never run a fever or tugged on their ears much with them either.

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting him in a boppy to sleep? Or raising one end of the crib by putting blankets of things under the mattress? I'd get him to the dr asap as pp has meantioned

7. lawilliams77

I considered ear too. He had a fever briefly two days ago that spiked once and didn't return. He has the uri and chesty cough. I've also thought it may be all the sinus drainage. has been much better since. I try to give them a chance to clear things on there own. I'm probably gonna need to get him to ped on this one though. Stinks that it is Saturday.

8. lawilliams77

Well, I got some batteries and checked his ears with my otoscope and they are clear, no otitis. I check people's ears on a daily basis, so please don't think I'm some crazy mom that just does these things. I try not to because I'd rather our ped diagnose my kids, not me. His lungs are nice and clear, just lots of clear snot and a moist cough. So, yup, upper resp infection that is taking its sweet time. Darn it. Whats wierd is that my husband is holding him right now and he's sleeping. His head is angled a little less than 45 degrees which is the same as the chair he normally sleeps in. So it doesn't seem like its related to the elevation of his head. Usually, its that as soon as we put him down, he wakes and cries. I'm wondering if he's just being more holdy since he's sick. If so, I hope it gets a little better soon. These nighttimes are rough. I can't sleep holding a baby.