Weird foods your kids like

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Rollergiraffe, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids won't eat meat of any kind, but they will eat a can of smoked oysters and beg for more when they're done. Weirdos.

What weird foods do your kids like/not like?

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

At that age, they loved frozen peas, straight from the bag. Used to make for an easy snack!

3. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Grape leaves, jalepeno venison susage, pickled spicy green beans/okra, or whatever else Daddy is eating!

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ECUBitsy witnessed this one, Roycie will eat an entire bowl of salsa. Regardless of the spiciness. He also loves sushi, shrimp, and fish in general. Alice loves to eat beans, black beans, refried beans, bean soup. . .

1 person likes this.
  5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm....

Nicholas likes calamari. The ring thing a ma bobbers!

Annabella and Anthony are my dip kids. Anthony will eat sour cream straight up. And Annabella will eat anything with dip, but she just sucks off the dip, and doesn't actually eat the food!

That's it. Probably because I don't eat many foreign things! Lol!

6. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

Artichoke leaves dipped in balsamic mayo...I have to fight them over it! From now on, I will be steaming TWO artichokes so I don't have to share :lol:

7. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

DD LOVES salmon-she calls it "pink fish." I can't think of any other peculiar foods but they request to eat random foods at random times (salami/hotdogs/pasta for breakfast anyone?)

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Black olives!

9. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Onions, all three of them like onions for whatever reason.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know that this is weird or not...but my kids can eat a tomato like an apple. They absolutely love tomatoes.

11. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

liversausage. they LOVE it.

12. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Kale chips (kale ripped up with olive oil then baked in the oven until crispy) calls them "green chips"

Pate -- liverwurst, like it on a spoon and lick it off.

Heather

13. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Nate will eat plain yogurt, plain sour cream, or tzatziki sauce right off a spoon. :wacko: He's also recently taken to eating raw red onions. :pardon:

Jack will eat anything if it's on a chip, even the spiciest salsa. He will also eat black olives, which to me taste like something died on my tongue! :bad:

Craisins (I thought they'd be too tart)
    Lentil soup
    Lamb Kofta

And the only way I can get them to eat vegetables is to dip them in hummus or baba ganoush.

14. becasquared

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='08 August 2011 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1312835325' post='1809519']
    And the only way I can get them to eat vegetables is to dip them in hummus or baba ganoush.
    [/quote]

You say that like it's a bad thing!

15. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think I have the pickiest eaters on earth. They turn their noses up at almost everything. But they will eat frozen waffles, straight out of the freezer.

16. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was *bad*, just *weird*!! I've followed every suggestion to get toddlers to eat more veggies, but I could batter and deep fry veggies, smother them in cheese and serve them with ranch dressing and they still wouldn't touch them. But raw with hummus? I haven't found a vegetable they won't try. :pardon:

17. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I think Royce would have drank the salsa had you allowed it. :)

18. becasquared

I have to draw the line somewhere.

salsa okay, lots of salsa okay, |<---- drinking salsa, LINE IS DRAWN!!

19. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Ryan loves wasabi almonds (me too!) And raw onions
    Christopher has a thing for lemmon rinds

20. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'm reviving this one for any new strange food quirks in the 2-4 crowd.

My girls have become obsessed with stashos (pistachios). They put down a big bag of the shelled nuts every two to three days.

How about your kids?

21. Rollergiraffe

MINE TOO. Omg, my fingernails are peeling off from getting all the stashos apart.

22. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Someone said this before but onions. My oldest daughter will eat raw onion while I am chopping it up to cook for dinner. Loves it.

23. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

DS loves pistachios too. He will sit and eat an entire bag if we let him. And he doesn't want the shelled nuts. He'd rather do that himself!

I can't think of anything really weird they eat though. They both LOVE beans and will eat just about any kind of bean. And they love shrimp and crawfish. DS can peel crawfish by himself.
    DD is my carb-aholic. Doesn't matter what kind of bread it is, she'll try it and probably love it.

24. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

3 of my kids would rather chow down on a salad or cole slaw than french fries. My oldest daughter, however, wants nothing to do with anything healthy. But the other three will eat most veggies that we cook, or salad's like there's no tomorrow.

25. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Rivky has thing with chickpeas, straight from the can. She also believes that, in any food involving a dip, the food itself is merely the dip vehicle. Today she ate some red onions in a salad, but I've never seen her do that before. Completely obsessed with tuna fish salad, would eat it every day if I let her. That's off the top of my head ;)

26. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Michelle doesnt like weird food. But Nolan does. He loves salmon roe, chicken skin, basil leaves. One day, I saw him just walked straight to the basil plants, picked bunch of leaves and snacked like candies!!!

27. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My youngest (almost 2) eats tomatoes like an apple.

Logan loves bruschetta toast for breakfast.

All 3 love plain yogurt, with nothing on it.

28. Rollergiraffe

The other thing that mine have always liked is olives, especially if they're stuffed with garlic or jalapenos! They'll basically eat any kind of pickles too, except butter pickles. Miles loves fish and would probably eat it every meal if I would make it. And both eat broccoli like it is going out of style.

29. Lauranj

Lauranj Member

Dandelions- picked fresh by Genna (2 yr old), she will feed her twin the flowers too. Anything that she picks in the garden herself.

Newest favorite is plain bread. No clue why but they will ask for "a bread" and they just want it plain. Very odd.

30. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Max loves pickles and spicy sausages. Vanessa loves plain bread. Both of them love pretzels, the saltier the better. They also love plain yogurt, but I don't think that's weird at all, because I love it also :), but my husband thinks it's weird.