Weight Watchers

Discussion in 'General' started by LisaGoeke, Nov 23, 2010.

1. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Anyone here following the Weight Watchers plan? Starting at the meetings on Sunday (or online Monday) there will be a new plan, new way to figure your daily points, and new allotted points (I hear you get more but the point value for foods are changing). Apparently with the new formula not only does it consider calories, fat, and fiber but also carbs and protein. The only other thing I heard about the new plan is that all fruit will be zero points, when eaten to satisfaction.

Can't wait to hear more! This weekend will mark my three year anniversary of joining Weight Watchers and since I've reached my goal I have kept it off! :woohoo:

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I need to come back to this thread in the morning... when I don't have a dh whining in the bedroom... :aggressive: :laughing:

To sum it up-I need WW help!! I've fallen off the bandwagon and need some saving!!

3. betha

betha Well-Known Member

It sounds interesting....

I joined the online program a few months ago when I was frustrated with lingering baby weight. I've dropped down to my pre-pregnancy size now, and it's been really helpful. I'm definitely staying on the program through the holidays!!

Congrats on maintaining your goal! I just ran my first 5K in a decade a few weeks ago. It was much easier since I had 15 less pounds to carry with me (but it was still hard!).

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't wait until I get to go back to WW! It helped me to lose so much weight after I had the girls. I won't have as much to lose this time but have already talked with DH about canceling Netflix and my magazine subscription so that I'll have the extra $10/week to use toward WW without adding on to our monthly expenses. I should be back on WW by next February!

5. megkc03

Congrats on maintaining your weight for three years! That's awesome! I can't maintain for two weeks! :laughing: I am interested in the new changes, I will be at the Saturday morning meeting to hear all about it!

I was .8 away from 10%. That's it. Now-I'm five pounds away. It's awful, and unfortunately, not getting any better! Ugh! I need to start a new thread(and I've been meaning too).

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't wait to see the new changes!! I've been doing WW Online since summer 2009 and I'm down 37 lbs. I still have 25 to go, I hope someday to make and maintain goal!
    Lisa, :yahoo: for maintaining your weight!
    Betha, :woo: for running your first 5K and being 15 lbs down!
    Meaghan-:youcandoit: This is the worst time of the year for me to keep the weight off!

7. LisaGoeke

The reason I chose Thanksgiving weekend to join was because I would always gain between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I absolutely refused to buy any bigger clothes so what choice did I have?! This is such a hard time of the year. I'm looking forward to hearing all the details about the new plan on Monday. I still pay for e-tools even though I don't attend meetings anymore so I can't wait to read about it online.

8. AimeeThomp

This is such a tough time of year. I'm glad I'm pregnant this year so I have an excuse. :laughing:

Is it the same price if you only do WW online? I like going to the meetings b/c it makes me feel accountable to get on their scale and then the speaker helps to motivate me too. I just don't know if it's going to be realistic to find childcare so I can go to the meetings or bring 3 kids with me.

9. kingeomer

I think I pay 16.95 a month for WW Online...Not sure how much doing the meetings are now but when I used to go to meetings several years ago, it was 9.00 per week. They might have changed their whole pricing around though.

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last time i check ww pricing it was 39.99 for the monthly pass that included the website and the meetings.

I'm about 3 pounds under my ww goal weight that was created after I had the girls and about 2 pounds over my original ww goal weight. I'm trying to convice DH that we have the extra $13 (i think that is the weekly meeting price) for me to go back to get the new program info and start going at least once a month .

11. LisaGoeke

Some of the meetings are "Mommy and Me" where you can bring your kids with you. Also, in my area, meetings are $12/week or you can buy the monthly pass for $40/month which is what I did. Now I pay $30 for 3 months of etools.

I stopped by my center this afternoon for my monthly weigh in. There was no one else there so I got to talk to the reception for a while about the new program. She couldn't say a lot but it sounds interesting. Everyone who goes there starting on Sunday will be weighed in so your new points can be figured then the first 15 minutes of each meeting the first week will be like the 1st meeting when you joined and you get all the basic info about the new program.

I plan to go to our Sunday afternoon meeting. If I do, I'll let you all know if I learn anything interesting.

12. LisaGoeke

Here's a link to a calculator that will help you figure out the new ProPoints.

ProPoints Calculator

13. AimeeThomp

Thanks for the link, wow it is taking a lot more nutritional info into consideration to calculate the points. So did you go to a meeting yet Lisa? Does the new system seem relatively easy to follow?

14. LisaGoeke

Yes, I went to the meeting last Sunday afternoon and got my book (instead of 12 weekly pamphlets you used to get at the meetings you get one book with everything in there) and I also bought a points calculator at a reduced rate of $5.95 til the end of the year. I didn't buy any of the kits as I didn't think I needed them.

On the new system, you are allowed more daily points but I don't know how it's configured. I am given 29 which is the minimum for women. You are also allowed more weeklies which is 49. On maintenance I believe you are allowed around 69 weeklies. On the new program they are encouraging you to eat more protein items and less carbs; hence, higher carbs means higher points. Almost all food went up in points from the old plan except for high protein items. Also, fruit and vegetables (most) are now "free". Eat to satisfaction. They recommend five servings a day.

This past week I have been logging with etools with the new PointsPlus program, and logging on paper the old way (just for my own personal comparison). It is pretty much the same....I am meeting my minimum each day on both programs, I think the main point of WW is to get you away from processed foods too. I was up a bit after the Thanksgiving holiday but from last Sunday (one week) I am down exactly six pounds.

2 people like this.
  15. kingeomer

Lisa, thanks for the info and :woo: to being down 6 lbs. I have not noticed a difference in the week since using Points Plus...however, I am having trouble eating my minimum of points per day. I noticed too that it seems like they are trying to steer away from the higher carb items. I also noticed that the activity points have changed, when I worked out for an hour at high level, it would be 8 points and is now 11.

16. AimeeThomp

I am hoping I can start weight watchers next week. I am so ready to get this baby weight off.

17. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out the new plan. I had so much memorized before.

18. AimeeThomp

I'm starting next week! :woo:

19. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...being lazy and going with what I know. I lost 150+ on the previous points plan (before twin pregnancy and severe PPD) and will just start out following that with a focus on fruit/veg/lean protein. I treated myself to the updated previous points program materials six months ago before points plus was talked about, so I want to get some use out of them before I move on. My old materials were 5+ years old and falling apart. Don't have the $$$ right now to replace it all and I like having the books etc. and not just online.

I tried points plus for a day using WW online, but found it hard to make my minimum points too.

20. AimeeThomp

I joined tonight. Thanks to breastfeeding I get 47 daily points on the new program. :woah:

21. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I am seriously thinking about joining WW. I know my mom had success with it years and years ago. And some friends of mine have had success with it as well.

I guess I'm just nervous. I want to do the online version. Meetings would be hard for me to make.

But what should I expect from the program? Is it easy to follow and still make family meals? What type of realistic results can I expect?

22. megkc03

I find WW easy. If you stick with it. I lost 20 lbs from March to September/October. It easily could have been more if I stuck to the program. I do feel the meetings help me-they keep you honest, and they invigorate you in a way to tackle the week. BUT, I also understand how hard it is to keep going to the meetings. Life just gets in the way.

I think you could still make family meals, with some modifications probably. I did get a WW cookbook, and if you do it online, there will be plenty of recipes at your fingertips. I think the BIG thing with WW is portion control and keeping track of what you eat. If you make some big, heavy dish, just eat the one portion, or heck, even half the portion. With the new PointsPlus, your points total for the day have increased, as well as for the week. So there's a bit of leeway there.

If you join, let me know. I've got a two buddies to help me keep on track and would love another! :)

1 person likes this.
  23. AimeeThomp

I didn't find the old WW to hard to follow. I'm not sure about the new program yet since I just started. After I had the girls I managed to lose 50 pounds and take care of two infants on weight watchers, so it's doable.

24. srange

srange Well-Known Member

I just joined back to WW last night too. I am doing the monthly pass. I am hoping to go to meeting tonight, but not sure if my DH will be home in time. If not, I will do the first week on my own and add a meeting next week. I did WW prior to kids and lost 60lbs. I have 25lb to lose to get back to the weight I was when I got married 10 years ago and before 4 kids :)

1 person likes this.
  25. AimeeThomp

GL Stacy! :youcandoit:

26. megkc03

Today has been an overall decent day. I've tracked everything, right down to the miracle whip! Lol! My problem is eating out. Tonight the inlaws are coming over and we are doing Chinese. Then tomorrow I am going to red robin for lunch. Saturday dh and I are going out for our 14 year anniversary. :wub:. We dont plan on going out so often, it just happens. Ugh!

27. kingeomer

I'm still trying to adjust to the Points Plus program. I feel like I am starting all over again with WW! I found the old plan very easy to use and doable with family dinners and making desserts for special occasions.
    Meaghan, I just look at eating out like special days, we don't eat out often so I try to eat the best I can but if I don't...then I just eat better at the next meal.
    Good luck to us all!!!

28. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I got the new program info last night. I was DISGUSTED when I went in and learned I am 12 over my heaviest point in my life. I swore I would NEVER get above a certain weight and I am now 50 above that. Dis.Gus.Ting. :bad: :bad: :bad:

29. kingeomer

Michelle :hug:

30. AimeeThomp

:hug: Michelle. Weight is such a difficult thing to struggle with. :(

31. megkc03

:hug: Michelle!!! If you need some extra support, let me know! I am needing all I can get! I do semi good for *most* of the day, then I have a point in the day where it just goes downnnnnnnnn the toilet!

32. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I've decided to start this Sunday. I'll probably buy the online plan on Saturday, meal plan, and get some groceries and then be ready for Sunday.

I'll probably post in here an insane amount. I need so much support. I do decently through the day. It's nighttime snacking and sweets cravings that are the hardest for me.

And please god tell me I can drink coffee with creamer and Splenda on this diet!!!!

33. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Meghan, YES! We can PM or whatever. I would love that.

Gina, you can have ANYTHING you want, as long as you account for it. The biggest thing is tracking (journaling) every thing you eat/drink. It really makes you accountable for what is going in. It's an effort, but really the only way for true success.

Hmpf, I'm such a cheerleader but can't master it myself. :fool:

34. megkc03

I'm game for whatever is easiest! We could maybe do a group on FB?

And yes-I'm a cheerleader as well....and can't even hear myself cheer! :( Ugh.

35. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will be the cheerleader for you all BECAUSE I KNOW YOU ALL CAN (and will!!) do this. And please don't make me do it but I can do this move and post it on FB...​

2 people like this.