Weight of previous kids relate to weight of twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Chrissy2010, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Chrissy2010

Chrissy2010 Well-Known Member

My kids were both pretty big babies. Will my chances of having bigger twins be higher or does it not matter?

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters, but I could be wrong. It's probably going to depend on how long you carried your other kids and how long you carry your twins. I don't know if there is a chart to see what singletons weigh at each week of gestastion vs. twins at each week, but I'm going to guess they are about the same.

FYI: My first DD was born at 40 +5 and weighed 8 lb. 8 oz. My twins were born at 38 +1 and were 6 lb. 4 oz. and 7 lb.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My single boys were 7.11, 7.15, 7.13 all 3 born at or a few days after 40weeks
    My twin girls were 6.8 and 6.9 born at 38 weeks

4. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I think there is some relation. It all depends in the end at what gestation they are born but some people just make larger babies than others.

My first was 9lbs2oz and born at 41w2d. The twins were "3 weeks younger", born at 38w2d, and were 7lbs11oz and 7lbs10oz. Based on the fact that they gained a little less than 1 pound a week, they were basically growing at the same rate as their sister, but they were just born earlier, and I don't think (or "hope") I could have made it until 41w2d with twins this size but again they did do very similar.

5. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

My ds was 9lb 6oz & dd 7lb 5oz. So far these bubs are approx 5lb 4oz & 4lb 8oz. I have just under 6 weeks til my c/section so I'm hoping they continue to grow!

6. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

My first was 8lbs 1oz
    My twins were 5lbs 15oz and 5lbs11oz at 37weeks 5 days...
    My next was 7lbs 6oz
    My last was 9lbs 15oz!

I think having had a bigger baby you've proved your body can carry the weight without necessarily going into labor. So that's a good thing...but I don't think it automatically means your twins will be bigger. Mine seemed smaller than I had expected. And also with twins there's a lot of other factors which can contribute to their weight.

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Singleton 7.12 at 41 weeks
    Twins 5.3 & 5.13 at 38w2d

8. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Singleton 8lbs 6oz born 2 days before his EDD
    Twins, 6lbs 9oz and 5lbs 2oz born at 37wks

9. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Being far above sea level will mean smaller babies as well. The doctors mentioned this to me in Colorado.

DS1 (in Hawaii, at sea level); 41.2 wks; 9 lbs, 8 oz
    DS2 (in CO, 6000 ft); 39.4 wks; 7, lbs, 8 ozs.
    the girls (in TN, 382 ft); 37.1 wks; 6,9 and 6,13--given another 4 wks they would have been in the 9-lb range like DS1. Not that I could have gone four more weeks! I'm only 5'1".

10. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

That seemed to be the case during our 3 years in Ecuador - at 9,000+ ft. All of the babies born in our social circle were small, even at full gestation. I've heard it has something to do with the lower levels of oxygen at higher elevation.

11. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

There is definitely a relationship for me. My doc says it's genetics -- DH and I both have big babies in our families.

My singleton son was born at 40 weeks weighing 9 lbs 14 oz.

My twins aren't born yet, but they consistently measure waaay ahead. At 32 weeks 5 days, they just measured 5 lbs 15 oz and 5 lbs 3 oz. That puts Twin A above the 90th percentile and Twin B at the 87th percentile.

I know ultrasound weight measurements can have a wide margin of error, but it's been this way since the beginning with every different sonographer, so I'm pretty sure I've got two chunkers in there. :)

12. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

Singelton- 7lbs 9oz 40 weeks
    Twins- 5lbs 5oz & 4lbs 11oz 37 weeks

13. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

I think it probably has some to due with it but there are other factors as well - I had pre-e with my boys and they basically stopped growing the last 2wks of pregnancy (had them at 37wks)

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For me it did not matter. My singleton was born at 41w and weighed 9 lbs 4 oz and my twins were born early (see siggy for dates) weighing 1 lb 10 oz and and 2 lbs 7 oz. And this was after all my drs said my Singleton pregnancy would really help with my twin pregnancy since I was not high risk at all.

15. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

DD- Born at 39.6 weeks was 7.7
    Boys- Born at 36.6 weekd were 6.10 and 6.11 (not that it would have been the same, but at their "due date" they were each right around 8 lbs)

16. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Singleton born at 37 weeks - 7 lbs 1 oz
    Twins born at 35 weeks 5 days - 6 lbs 3 oz and 5 lbs 13 oz