Weight gain when overweight

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MyMayBabies, Mar 1, 2010.

1. MyMayBabies

MyMayBabies Well-Known Member

Anyone know if it's okay to lose instead of gain when you are overweight? I'm 27w2d today.

From 2/1 to today, 3/1, on the same scale at the Ob, I'm down 1 lb. At one point, I had been up 5 lbs, but lost those 5 in the past week or two. All together, I'm up 14 lbs since the day I found out we were pregnant back in September.

Ob didn't seem concerned, in fact, she didn't say a single word about it. I am overweight to begin with though (wear about a size 14/16 jeans, an xl shirt) so I was wondering if that made a difference? Babies measured 2 lbs, 1oz & 1 lb, 15oz at their 25 week ultrasound, so they are growing okay.

Today also showed protein in urine, but blood pressure was okay. Ob didn't mention the protein either, but the nurse told me that it was there (has not been in the past).

2. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

I am a large gal (16/18) and kept losing weight in the beginning, now slowly gaining. I'm 23 weeks, and about 20 pounds up. My doc said I am losing and the babies are gaining, but she's not concerned. Its hard when we start with extra baggage!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh my gosh, I didn't gain any weight until month 7. In fact, I kept losing weight until about month 5 when I started putting it back on. Morning sickness was the best diet ever! I only gained 30 pounds overall, then lost 60 before I went home from the hospital.

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I was 5lbs overweight when I got pregnant. People I knew were gaining 50-60lbs with their singletons and I lost 5lbs in month 5 with the twins. Overall I gained 30lbs but was back below my pre preg weight by my 6 week check up. Are you drinking a lot of water? What you wear when you weigh in and if you peed before the scale at one visit and after at the next, can make a big difference. If your Dr. is not worried, you should be okay, but maybe it is something you can bring up at your next visit.

5. MyMayBabies

MyMayBabies Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I'm so use to gaining (gained 50 lbs with my last pregnancy) that a loss was surprising, lol :D

6. MsTasha

MsTasha Well-Known Member

I am down 8 pounds (was down 10) at 20 weeks. I keep asking my peri about it, and she is not concerned at all. As long as the babies are growing well, you are eating when you are hungry and trying to eat every couple of hours, it is not too big of a deal. I would be extra cautious about your diet and try to eat lots of protein and fruits/vegetables.

7. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

i only gained 6 lbs in my twin pregnancy, (and that wasn't until the last 4 wks) but i was also GDM so i'm sure i lost a bit of weight on that that i would have gained otherwise. it doesn't matter what we moms are doing as long as our little ones are thriving!

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I was prolly like 50 or lbs overweight and lost 5lbs one week, as long as the babies are growing my high risk ob said it was fine