Weight gain, what's your doc's opinion?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by evemomma, Nov 20, 2009.

1. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

Hey all!

Sorry for so many topic posts...I'm sort of on bedrest right now, so quite attached to the computer. Anyway, a new friend of mine who has twins (yay, a real-life twin mommy friend!) leant me her book, "Expecting Twins, Triplets and Quads by Barabara Luke. She REALLY emphasizes weight gain as a key to healthy babies. And EARLY weight gain.

So, I struggle with weight gain in my pregnancy due to hyperemesis (severe MS). With my ds, I lost 15 lbs initially (and I was thin to start), and only ended up being 10 lbs over my pre-preg wt when I gave birth to him at 36 weeks. But he was a healthy 6lbs 10oz that early even with my poor weight issues.

This time, I started my pregnancy about 10 lbs heavier than last time thanks to IVF. I've had hyperemesis again, but it's being managed MUCH better through meds, so I only dropped about 5 lbs and am now back to my original pre-preg wt at 17 weeks. My peri wants me to add a protein drink to my diet daily, but didn't seem concerned that much with my lack of weight gain. He said I'm not underweight, so I've got some reserves to help the babies if need be. And I DID gain 1 lb in 2 weeks this time.

How have your docs handled wt gain? What was your experience with it? I want my twins to be as healthy as possible...and I will most likely go early due to hx of PTL. I struggle with lack of appetite, so it's hard for me to eat. Any experience would be much appreciated!!!!

2. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

My peri makes all her twin pregnancies see a nutritionist.

The first thing she told me was to toss that book out the window. Even the American pregnancy association doesn't recommend her weight guidelines, and she testified before them. Yes, you CAN gain that much weight, but you don't have to in order to have a healthy pregnancy. The types of food she recommends are good to keep in mind, though: high protein, high calcium, fruits, veggies, complex carbs, etc.

What is recommended by the pregnancy groups is 300 extra cals for baby one, and then around 150-200 for baby two. In terms of weight gain, I wasn't gaining that much either, and talked to the nutritionist...she said as long as the babies are growing appropriately, not to worry too much about it...sometimes the mom's weight gain isn't correlated with baby weight, considering the increase in blood volume, water weight, etc., that also show up on the scale.

I'm on bed rest as well, and this is what I do: eat when I'm hungry and concentrate on higher protein and higher calcium foods. Try to get lots of healthy fruits and vegetables. And have your doc monitor you and monitor the babies' growth.

3. evemomma

Thanks so much for your reply! I can't imagine eating as many calories as Dr. Luke recommends!!! I do agree with her nutritional recommendations...it's not possible for me to eat that quantity. My babies have been growing right on schedule at least according to my u/s. I have my 'big' anatomy scan next Tues, so we'll know for sure then. I'm schedule to have monthly growth u/s and also to have biweekly u/s to check my cervix..so I guess we'll see if there's any probs!

4. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

I use the Luke book for her recipes, which I enjoy. However, I essentially ignore the remainder of the book; it stressed me out.

5. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

My MFM team told me not to read that book too LOL. I was slightly overweight to begin with and was told to limit my total weight gain to 19-20lbs. At 32 weeks I've gained 16.

I would just ask your OB about this and not over do it. If you gain that much weight, you'll be miserable in your third trimester!

6. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

I didn't gain more than 5 pounds before my 18th week and I was stressed out too because of that book. I told my Dr that I was concerned and she said not to worry. She said that this country overly emphasizes weightgain to a degree that some woman go nuts over it. Just as long as you are eating healthy and taking your vitamins, all should fall into place with it has for me. There are so many factors to consider like the size of mom before she got pregnant, her health, her bloodwork, morning sickness, etc etc

I have gained 25 pounds now. I'm 5ft 8in and I was 140lbs when I got pregnant so I was average size. I just started packing on the lbs after I got mostly done with m/s (still have mornings that are rough here and there) and I could eat and keep it down. I can also eat a lot of foods I hated at the beginning of the pregnancy now.

At my last appointment my dr said I was gaining weight well, the babies are measuring on time and only have a one day difference in size and that as long as she sees growth in me and them, that I'm fine. I gained 28 pounds with my DD so I am almost at that point now and I still have a while to go.

That book is a wonderful resource for other things.

7. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

So far I've gained 14 lbs, but I have not gained any weight in the last month and a half. My belly keeps expanding at an appropriate rate (6 weeks ahead) and all our growth scans have shown big babies (both measuring about a week ahead). My doctor does not seem concerned at all, as long as I keep eating healthy and the babies keep growing appropriately then there's no reason to worry. Although in the beginning he told to expect to gain around 40 lbs...I don't think that's going to happen...

8. jennaenglish

jennaenglish Active Member

I also bought and read that book, and more than anything, it stressed me out! I weighed about 124 pre-pregnancy and was really sick the first trimester. Heck, I'm almost 34 weeks and still have to take Zofran, who am I kidding. Anyway, I was OBSESSED with gaining weight early. But as I've gotten towards the end here, my appetite and motivation to try to meet those requirements has declined significantly. I think mostly b/c it feels as if my stomach is somewhere in between my shoulders.

I have gained almost 40 lbs at this point, which I'm happy with. At 20 weeks, I had only gained 10 and was so stressed out b/c the book says you have to gain 20 lbs by 20 weeks. My doc kept assuring me that as long as the babies were growing, they would get what they needed and I didn't need to stress out about it. Towards the end of my 2nd tri, the weight gain/growth really started to pick up and now I feel GINORMOUS. lol. My beginning goal was to gain 50 lbs, and I think I will get there, but the main thing is just to eat healthy. Make it count!

I ate TONS of protein b/c a friend of mine who has 11 children recommended that even before I bought the book. Protein is what builds babies, she said. So for my snacks, I would eat cheese, or drink a glass of milk, or have yogurt, and always one of those Ensure shakes in the morning. I've found the Vanilla to be the most palatable. Oh, and I've used this as an excuse to eat LOTS of steak. :)

9. XpectingTwins222

XpectingTwins222 Well-Known Member

I have kind-of been wondering about this to. The OB I was seeing wanted me to gain 20 pounds by 20 weeks... haha... thats not happening. I'm very petite normally so I just don't think its going to happen. I've slowed down a lot to try and gain the weight my OB wanted me to gain. I'm eating extra for the babies and the only exercise I'm doing now is yoga (besides running around after my 3 year old). I am 18 weeks now and have only gained 1 pound so far. I'm completely transfering my care to a peri so it will be interesting to see what she says at my 20 week appointment.

10. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

Just as additional perspective...

I'm a naturally small person and gaining that much weight would have been difficult. I was also put on bed rest 2.5 months ago, which killed my appetite. As of 28 weeks, I've barely gained 15 lbs (I was underweight prior to being pregnant, and am now technically in the normal weight range..I weighed in at 5'5.5" and 122 at the doc yesterday).

The u/s I had yesterday showed the two girls weighing in around 2.3 and 2.5 lbs, which is in the 35th percentile. My son was about the same when I was pregnant with him.

So obviously, even though I haven't gained all that much for a twin pregnancy, especially considering how small I was to begin with (Dr. Luke would have me gain 60 lbs total), the girls are growing fine.

11. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I was in the normal weight range when I got pregnant and didn't gain a pound until I was 21 weeks. I ended up gaining upwards of 25 lbs (I stopped looking!) but gained nowhere near what Dr Luke advised. My girls were born at 36.5 weeks and weighed 5 7 and 6 even. I was down to my Prepregnancy weight at 4 weeks PP. Weight in our society is ridiculous. Women are supposed to be skinny unless you are pregnant and then you need to gain 60 lbs or you are going to have an unhealthy baby. Eat when you are hungry and you will grow big healthy ones :)

12. evemomma

Thanks for everyone's stories! I went for my 18 week anatomy scan (having gained no weight yet), and my twins are measuring perfectedly...even one a day ahead! I'm not going to stress about this anymore!!!!

13. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

My peri said that studies have shown no improvement in outcome associated with large weight gain -- just more for the mothe to lose later. He recommended I gain about 25-35 pounds, but didn't seem worried when I went over 40.

14. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I also was up 10 pounds due to a year of IVF, but I still gained the 20 pounds by 20 weeks (and frankly had a great time doing it :) ). I am now working to gain a pound a week - no more or less. As concerned as I am about having healthy babies, I am also very concerned about gaining too much. Anyway, I am 31 weeks and have gained 33 pounds (not including those IVF pounds!). I thought Barbara Luke's book was great :)

15. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

ps You asked about my doctor's take - they told me to get the Barbara Luke book, and they told me to gain 20 lbs by 20 weeks, but I didn't get the sense they would have been super worried if I didn't.