Weight gain advice

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Ice cream, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Ice cream

Ice cream Member

I am 6 weeks pregnant with twins an weigh 105 lbs (5'3"). I want to do everything in my power to ensure healthy babies.
    How much weight am I to gain? Dr Luke's recommendation of over 50 lbs for someone my size seems a lot! Is that recommended?
    Also, how long does it take on average to lose all the weight?

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Different doctors have different recommendations. My OB normally recommends weight gains on the lower end. She recommendef that I gain about 5 to 10 more pounds than with my singleton. I ended up gaining about 38 pounds (I was 125/130 before).

It came off pretty quick until I got back to work and was sitting around snacking all day. ;)

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I read the same book and it sent me into a panic - I wasn't gaining anywhere near what she recommended.  I was 28, about 5'6" and 135 lbs to start and didn't gain anything until about 16 weeks.  My size was never an issue with my doctor.  I did deliver early, but my doctor never attributed it to my lack of weight gain.  I had gained 35 lbs by week 31 and gave birth to babies of great size for their gestation.  The weight came off plus a little by about 6 weeks with breast feeding.  It took longer to lose the weight with each subsequent pregnancy.  Dr. Luke's book is a really excellent, informative book to read but my advice is to let your own doctor be your guide when it comes to the health of your pregnancy.

Congratulations on your twins and welcome to the forum!!

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you focus on eating a variety of healthy, whole foods according to your body's hunger signs, you will gain an adequate amount of weight for you. Focusing on the same after the birth will allow the weight to come off in the right time frame for your body's needs.

5. Ice cream

Ice cream Member

So I decided to get rid if the scale and focus on eating healthy without weighing myself. I am 8 weeks now and already showing, and I feel like I gained quite a few lbs already without eating much more. Is it normal at this point to gain this much from just babies and uterus expanding? I am also in progesterone shots...
    Thx

6. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

I started my twin pregnancy at around 130 lbs, 5'7".  I gained 55 lbs with my twins (I carried them to 39 weeks 1 day and gave birth to huge twins - 6 lbs 12 oz and a whopping 8 lbs).  I liked the Luke book, and I felt like it had some really good points about getting enough protein, etc.  I think if you focus on eating healthy foods and follow dr recs, you'll gain the amount you need to gain.  For what it's worth, mine came off fairly quickly with breastfeeding twins (my body definitely *looks different* but my weight was back down to my original weight before I got pregnant with this peanut).  Good luck!

7. Ice cream

Ice cream Member

That's encouraging wvtwinmama! Did u begin gaining early on?
    I don't know why I'm obsessing :(