Weaning to milk questions

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Jan 1, 2009.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I am presently bfing, but am going to wean over the next month and was wondering if it is worth while to put them straight onto a regular cup. Did anyone else go straight to a cup? Was it messy? I would like to try this but I am assuming they will be covered in milk!!

I am assuming if I do this I have to sit with them for 10-15minutes helping them hold the cup and trying to make sure they don't spill it everywhere....?

Also did your LO's liquid consumption go down once they switched to milk? Should I expect them to drink a full glass of milk?

Thanks!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Isis, this is a battle I am a currently fighting over the past week. Mine, who loved a milk/formula combo two weeks ago now want NOTHING to do with it. I tried straight milk, still want nothing to do with it. We are keeping them on 3 bottles per day per our pedi's recommendation because she wants them to put on more weight. They will drink water and juice out of their sippy cups well and we tried milk in that, they want no parts of it in their sippy cup. I hope when the time comes yours are more agreeable---basing it on what mine are doing right now, expect their liquid consumption to go down. I can only hope it gets better because I am at my wits end and this behavior has only been going on for a week.
    I am not sure if yours have tried a sippy cup at all, but I would introduce a sippy with some water, water/juice combo, or a little milk to give them practice holding the cup and eventually drinking from it. We started practicing with the sippy around 6 months and they do drink well out of it with water/juice now.

3. BeckiAllen1130

BeckiAllen1130 Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking this question b/c I was wondering this too!!! We will be switching to whole milk soon (going to try it out today in fact) & I was wondering what the best way to introduce was. Hopefully our LOs will get the hang of this quickly.

4. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

anyone else have any suggestions or comments?