weaning from swaddle

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by traci.finley, Apr 18, 2010.

1. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

My twinnies are almost 3 so I am visiting from 2-4. I have a singleton now who is almost 3 months old. She is such an angel baby and sooooo different from my preemie colic twins! We swaddled the twins until they were 6 months and I kept trying to wean them from it but every night after I had gotten up multiple times they would end up swaddled again ... then, at 6 or so months we decided to let them CIO so we took off the swaddles cold turkey and did CIO (sounds totally cruel and it was sooooo hard but we had tried everything else) ... anyway, so my now 2.5 month old seems to enjoy being out of the swaddle and being able to stretch around but she cannot seem to stay asleep very long without the swaddle. At what age did those who swaddled wean from the swaddle and did you do a slow wean (one arm out then swaddle under the arms ... etc ...) or did you just go straight from the swaddle to no swaddle? She still startles some and still can't keep her hands out of her face so I am thinking when she has a little better control over her arms it will be time ... what do you all think ... and how did you do it?

2. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

The boys were swaddled until they were approx 7mo, I couldn't believe they needed to be swaddled that long. Once we stopped we just put them in a sleep sack and tucked a blanket around them to make them feel "tight" The girls were much younger, I can't remember how old they were though, sorry and GOOD LUCK!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Around 3 or 4 months we started with 1 arm out. By 6 months old they had both arms out and we were swaddling the lower half of their bodies and at that point we switched to sleep sacs.

4. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

We just unswaddled at 7 months and went straight into the sleep sacks. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - they just needed a little extra attention to fall asleep the first night and since then have been great.