Watermelon stains

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't send them to school in their "good" clothes, and I know I can't expect the teachers to keep them clean... but I do get a little peeved when they don't make any attempt at all. I don't think they even use bibs.

Anyway -- Amy wore a new dress (new to us ;) ) on Friday, everyone told me how cute it was, and then when I picked them up in the afternoon, it was covered with watermelon. I soaked it in Oxyclean right away, washed it the next day -- still stained. So I doused it with Spray & Wash and washed it again -- still stained. Is there anything else I can try? I had no idea watermelon stained this badly. <_<

2. katnpat

katnpat Well-Known Member

I had to throw away little sundresses that were oh-so-cute because of watermelon stains. I had no idea that watermelon stained like that! I even tried the tide stick. I'm glad that you posted this because my girls love watermelon and I don't want to strip them every time they eat it!! :D

3. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that watermelon stained either. Shout has a new product that is to help remove set-in stains. I would try that. If that doesn't work and you about to throw it away, try putting some bleach in the water. I've had really good luck with that. I fill the water up to halfway full in the washer with hot water and add about 1/2 cup of bleach. I let it mix in really good before I add the clothing item. It works on most colors except blue and purple. I've saved lots of badly stained items that way.

4. swiertel

swiertel Well-Known Member

Mine have watermelon messess all the time. The only thing that I swear by is Shot Advance (or Action) Gel. It works on everything!

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I got a bad watermelon stain mostly out of a favorite shirt by putting liquid OxyClean directly on the stain, letting that sit for a day, and then soaking it in a bucket of water with half a capful of OxyClean for a couple days, then washing it. The shirt is wearable, but the stain is visible if you are looking for it.
    I also just started making my own laundry detergent, using the powdered recipie that was posted in PC. I got a bad stain of some sort, not sure what it was, it was the big black line on a good shirt of DH's. He has no idea what it was, of course. So, I wetted my bar of Fels-Naptha soap, rubbed it on the stain, and then soaked it in a bucket of warm water mixed with Washing Soda. I soaked it for several days, and the stain came out! The shirt did fade a little, but it looks better than having a big black line across it.

6. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest oxy clean...but looks like you already did that! I've got my ds' strawberry stain from yesterday that I have to work on ...sometimes I feel like I'm just going to work a hole right in place of the stain!! Maybe you can find out what days are going to be watermellon days at school, and always dress her in her watermellon outfit! LOL!

7. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask this... I am working on getting a Watermelon stain out of Blake's shirt right now. I use OxyClean and am on day 3 of spraying and just put it in the wash- I wll let you know!

8. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

Hmm usually oxyclean and spray n wash does the trick for my laundry. It might take a few washes and stain treatments for it to come out, but it should. I have gotten awful stains out of clothes that I never thought possible. Whatever you do, do not dry in the dryer as that will set the stain and it will more than likely never come out. I hang dry all of the girls "expensive" clothes in case I miss a spot here or there I can catch it and get rid of it. Maybe try soaking in baking soda. HTH.

9. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

I've gotten watermelon and strawberry stains out by spraying them with Shout, then rubbing Clorox 2 directly on the stain before putting it in the wash. I usually also put a capful of clorox 2 in with the girls clothes too since they have more stains on their clothes than DH and I.

Good luck!

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone -- I think I need to get some liquid Clorox or something. We use powdered OxyClean which is a PITA. I also need to not give up so easily. I tend to wash things once, or twice at most, and then get frustrated and just live with the stain.

Fortunately I just barely saved the dress from going through the dryer. I had actually stuck the whole load in the dryer and then went to my computer and googled "watermelon stains," and the first thing I read was never to put anything with a fruit stain on it through the dryer, because the sugar will caramelize and never come out. I ran back to the dryer and yanked the dress out. :)

Anyway, the other thing I read was that if you've tried Shout and/or soaking, you might just need to use bleach. The dress is pale yellow, so I think that's what I'm going to do.

11. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

QUOTE(NicoleT @ Jul 29 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]348649[/snapback]
    Funny you should ask this... I am working on getting a Watermelon stain out of Blake's shirt right now. I use OxyClean and am on day 3 of spraying and just put it in the wash- I wll let you know!

It all came out!! :banana:

Good luck! :)