Walmart gave me grief today about a return

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by New Mom, Sep 7, 2007.

1. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

Today I went to Wal-Mart to return some baby food that was unopened. My DD is having a food allergy to carrots so I was returning about 18 different bottles of baby food that contained carrots. So the first guy at customer service starts doing the return and another one came up to him and asked what he was doing. She told him we don't back baby food, diapers or formula even if it hasn't been used. She then called a manager on the phone and he told her to not do the return.

I was pretty upset at this point after already waiting for about 15 minutes and while I waited, they took other people in front of me. I told her that I had never heard such a thing before and there is no sign saying these items can't be returned. I told her I needed to return them for allergy reasons. So she called the manager over to talk to me.

He gets there and says let me double check the policy. He leaves and comes back and looks at my receipts. He then gets on the phone and calls who know who and quietly whispers my problem to the person on the phone. The manager then takes my receipts and adds up how much my return would be ($18.80). By this time there is quite a line behind me and I have been in the store for at least 30 minutes waiting. He comes over and says Wal-Mart Policy is they don't take back baby food, diapers or formula, but they will make an exception this time but my money has to go on a gift card. Of course everyone heard this and is giving me the evil eye at this point.

FINALLY AN ANSWER. So I took the gift card and left.

Long story short, has anyone had this happen? Have you ever been told you couldn't return these items? I find this crazy!!!!! The grocery stores take back these things!!!!!

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

If they don't take that stuff back, they need to have it clearly posted! I hate Walmart, I really do!

3. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

I KNOW I returned diapers to my walmart, they had already outgrown that size and I didn't even have a receipt but they were white cloud which is sold only at walmart so...
    I would definitely be p.o. too.
    Alyson

4. kayleesmama

kayleesmama Well-Known Member

I have returned diapers a few times...wrong sizes, brands, etc. No problems with my walmart.

5. That is NOT their policy, and they were lying if they told you that! I have returned ALL three of those items, on more than one occasion to different walmarts and to different walmarts(we have 3 within 15 minutes of us). I would go to their website and complain. If any item were opened, that would be understandable, but obviously they were not! They cannot refuse to take back items if it is not CLEARLY posted that they will not do so-and all of their rules and regs for returns are clearly posted behind the customer service counter.

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Its been my experience that in our Wal-Mart they use their own judgement. You had a receipt and you had a clear good reason .. there shouldnt have been a problem. Some managers are just sticklers for policy, but a good manager knows when to bend the rules.

For what its worth ... its probably more a safety issue then anything. Afterall, think about how you would feel purchasing food that has already been in someones home.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

I have had a problem returning formula.