Waking up crying & screaming, but goes back to sleep

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Apr 16, 2009.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

This happend for awhile when Jake just turned a year. They are now 15 months and it's happening again. He'll go to bed and within in hour, he wakes up screaming and crying . Within a minute or two, he falls back asleep. I do not go in there. I did when he was a year and it peaked with him waking at midnight and every time I tried to put him back in his crib he screamed. This lasted over 3 hours.

He's been good for the last 3 months and within the past 2 weeks it started up again. They go to bed at 6:30 and sleep for a good 12 hours. They also have a 2 hour nap during the day (sometimes it's longer).

Today around 10:00 I noticed he was rubbing his eyes, but he stayed up until his nap at 12:30. Within an hour after going down, he started crying but fell back asleep within a minute.

What could this be? I think he's too young for night terrors.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine have night terrors (I have them too so they inherited it from me). This happens to us here. Most of the time if its only a few minutes, they aren't even awake. So if I go in there to see what is wrong, I end up waking them up, they get totally disoriented and freaked out, and its takes a long time for them to settle back to sleep. :hug:

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmm maybe it's just the way he sleeps? Maybe he is going to be a very active sleeper when he gets older. :unsure:

4. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

not sure about being too young for night terrors. That's what it sounds like to me.

5. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

my ivana does that. i was thinking it was night terrors, but then a few weeks ago, she started getting up at the same time every night (standing in her crib, screaming and crying). i was getting her out and taking her to bed with me, letting her fall asleep on me and taking her back. i stopped doing that cuz i THINK it was becoming a habit. so the next few nights i just left her in there, and she hasn't gotten up in the night since. (tho i know it'll still happen every now and then)

maybe he's dreaming that his brother took a toy from him :laughing:

6. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's teething-related? I have a very sensitive little guy - all sensory stimuli are very intense for him. He wakes often for short spurts when he is teething.

7. debid

debid Well-Known Member

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Great article Debi! I was thinking it could be night terrors too.

9. cjk2002

Well it's been 2 1/2 hours since they went to bed and all is quiet. They had a good 3 hour nap. I've found Jake needs his sleep. Josh can go with a shorter nap and be fine for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the info.

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cjk2002 @ Apr 16 2009, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1276738[/snapback]
    Well it's been 2 1/2 hours since they went to bed and all is quiet. They had a good 3 hour nap. I've found Jake needs his sleep. Josh can go with a shorter nap and be fine for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the info.

:hug: I hope they had a good night. My girls have more sleep disturbances when they are overtired. I have more when I'm tired and stressed out.

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think Alice's waking thing is either sleep terrors or she's wetting herself. The only reason why I think that is because one day she peed out of her diaper and it was the same time as the usual 10:30 pm wake up.

12. cjk2002

It was quiet the rest of the evening. Jake woke at 6:15 a.m. crying, but went back to sleep a minute later until 7:00.

I really do think it has to do to lack of sleep. Today I took them to the park to wear them out and let them walk around for the first time outside. They've been sleeping for the past 2+ hours.

Hopefully tonight will be another quiet evening.