waking up at 5:30 am at 6 months

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mommylaura, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Ok, so our house gets up at 6 am anyway, so 5:30 shouldn't seem like that big of a deal, but a) those 30 minutes are precious; and b) my first did this and started waking earlier and earlier until he was waking at 4:30 am for a while until we did CIO (which worked by the way). What do you ladies think? Is 5:30 just a normal wakeup time for a baby? We try to keep them up until 7:15 with the idea that they might sleep from 7:15 to 6:00. My DS will just play in his crib if he gets up early. but my DD will scream bloody murder and wake up my husband and older DS. Help!

2. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Sounds like we have the same kids, mine are just two months older! haha My DS will wake up and play and usually babble to himself at 5:30 a.m. like clockwork, this lead to his sister in the next room waking up as well, only she screams like heck when she wakes up. Our rule personally is that our family gets up and starts the day at 6 a.m. at the earliest. (This means that our days starts at 6 most days lol). I let him babble and her cry until 6 a.m. otherwise they will think that 5:30 or maybe even earlier is fine. I know that it isn't hurting either of them, and sometimes they even fall back asleep until 7. Depends on the day. I just refuse to get up so early!

Are yours awake because they are really hungry, though? That would be my only concern as they are a little younger.

Also I have found that staying up later usually back fires. Ours go to bed by 6:30 p.m. at the latest. We are usually aiming for closer to 6 p.m. And they sleep through the night until the 5:30 a.m. chirps from my son.

ETA: When we've tried later bedtimes they still wake up at the same time regardless or sometimes earlier!

3. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

In Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins, Dr. Weissbluth suggests trying an earlier bedtime. They may be staying up past their "sleep window" which means they won't sleep well through the night. It seemed to work for us...half the time. :)

4. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Yep, I agree - try to put them to bed earlier, it worked for us. Well that, and I refused to get them out of bed until 7:00 period. Now they get grumpy if we don't give them that time just to babble and wake up a bit before we go in and get them. Getting up early didn't happen as much though when we moved up their bedtime.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep-if you are trying/struggling to keep them up until 7:15pm, then it most likely is going to back fire on you. I agree you might be missing that window of opportunity. If my boys go to bed at 9pm, they will still get up by 7am. They won't sleep later just because they went to bed later. Many people believe that, it just doesn't work that way. Unfortunately!

When my boys were younger, they did go through a time where they woke at 5:30am or 6am. Not my idea of fun. Any time after 7am is what I prefer. And now they are waking again before 7am(they are almost three though). It's usually a short phase, and then they go back to sleeping a bit later. I agree-30 minutes is a HUGE difference! :laughing:

6. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Mine woke up at 5:30 this morning. :( I prefer after 6 but wish for 6:30. I can't complain too much because they are usually sleeping between 7:30-8:00.

7. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

My son is doing the same thing and no matter what we do he seems to be programmed to start wailing at 5:55am not 5:50 or 5:56 but 5:55 :laughing: GRRRRR...

We had one night where he slept from 7:15-6:40 am but that was an error on his part I think :)

We're tryint the earlier bedtime tonight, so we'll see if that works. Both my kids are in bed and asleep between 6:45-7:15pm. Usually one sleeps throug the night and the other wakes once. The problem is that this alternates DAILY :headbang:

Anyhow, hopefully the earlier bedtime works for you.

GL

8. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Once my DD got settled into the 9 and 1 nap schedule, bedtime usually 6:30-6:45 (that's when I put her down, bath can be as early as 6:15), she generally sleeps to just after 6 (I let her fuss if she gets up any earlier...sometimes she goes back to sleep). And she gets up once (sometime around 3:30 or 4) for feeding (crossed fingers here, every time we go for a trip...like yesterday...she gets messed up for a few days and adds a feeding at 10:30 pm).