waking from naps inconsolable

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kdanielleflowers, Mar 16, 2010.

1. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

OK mommy friends, need some input...for the last couple weeks, the girls have been randomly waking from naps in inconsolable fits. I mean, thrashing, screaming, gnashing of teeth, rolling on the ground fits. What's more odd is that sometimes they wake happy and then go into this within minutes. This usually lasts about 20-30 minutes OR until I take them outside. Unfortunately, outside is not always an option.

Is this normal for this age? They're 15 months.

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yes. Very. It took us a loooooong time to outgrow that. It was very frustrating. :hug:

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

My girls started doing this a couple of weeks ago. It turns out they were both cutting two molars. Teething will make them act like little monsters sometimes. Have you noticed any new teeth coming through?

4. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

One of my girls is doing the same thing. I cannot see any new teeth yet, but it could be that. She wails inconsolably & clings to me for about 20mins after her nap. It is heart wrenching. Her sister opens one eye, groans & rolls back over to continue her nap! It started a few weeks ago & doesn't happen every day, thank goodness. It is nice to know that I am not alone in this!

5. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My DS does this sometimes. He is currently teething, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Today he woke up in a foul mood from his second nap. After dealing with him for about 10 minutes, I put him back to bed and he was quiet as soon as I put him in there. He read books and even fell back asleep. He came out happy about 30 minutes later. It doesn't always work out like this, but it did today. I hope it gets better for you.

6. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

I've had this for what seems like forever! For us it's jealously I think. The screaming increases as I get one girl up from the child left behind and then when I put the first one down to pick up her sister mayhem happens and the screaming continues for a good 10 - 15 mins.

It has got better lately but it's been a long road.

7. ilovemonkeys

ilovemonkeys Well-Known Member

This has been my daughter for the past week. Even if she has gotten a good nap in she wakes up and cries and throws temper tantrums. She had a molar poke through about a week and a half ago and she has two other teeth on the bottom coming in so hopefully that is the reason and this won't just be the norm for her or yours!

8. twotwins

twotwins Active Member

Teeth teeth teeth!mine are as well doing that not only waking up from naps but in the middle of the night as well. The only thing is to distract their attention (when it is from naps) as soon as they are up. playing singing showing them something new, giving them their bath etc...

9. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I am having this exact "event" after every nap with Jude. And she is grabbing her cheeks and is inconsolable...I just hold her and wait it out while trying to calm her. In our case I just think it has to be teeth the way she puts both hands on her jaw.

10. bmatlock

bmatlock Well-Known Member

yep, mine are 15 months and same thing is happening...mine are getting their molars in, so just like said in previous posts, i think that might be what's happening.