Waking from naps constant crying

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DATJMom, Jun 17, 2008.

1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

So in what seems like the past month or so Tyler wakes from his afternoon nap crying. He just starts crying after I bring him out of his room and then the tantrums start sometimes over nothing and sometimes over something he cant have. It takes him about 45 minutes to come out of whatever mood he is in and then he is fine. Anyone else have or had this issue? Does it just magically go away at some point? It is driving me crazy!! :crazy:

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

No advice, just hugs! :hug99:

3. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

Sienna does that sometimes. Nothing and I mean NOTHING will make her happy for a while after she wakes up. Doesn't happen all the time, sometimes she wakes perfectly happy. I don't know if she just isn't ready to wake up on those days where she just has a totally melt down. It is tough, but for me it is hit and miss when it happens and I just deal with it since I don't know what else to do with her.

4. kstar

kstar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kstar @ Jun 17 2008, 08:09 PM) [snapback]831571[/snapback]
    Sienna does that sometimes. Nothing and I mean NOTHING will make her happy for a while after she wakes up. Doesn't happen all the time, sometimes she wakes perfectly happy. I don't know if she just isn't ready to wake up on those days where she just has a totally melt down. It is tough, but for me it is hit and miss when it happens and I just deal with it since I don't know what else to do with her.

One thing I forgot, I do usually turn on a show that she likes. Not sure if you let yours watch TV, but if I turn on Caillou, her favorite, she usually gets hooked on that and I just leave her alone for 20 mins or so and she is fine. Like she just needs some quiet alone time to finish waking up.

5. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

It usually takes mine a while to wake up too. I know the feeling - I usually feel like dog doo for a while after I wake up. Giving them a snack/drink usually helps turn things around! And just some quiet cuddling.

6. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My Allison does this, but only when she doesn't get her nap out. If she doesn't wake up naturally on her own--like when Sarah wakes her up--she is a bear for a good hour. No one can look at her, touch her, or anything. She has to be held the entire time, but don't think about rubbing her head or patting her back. She's impossible at those times.

7. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

I have been meaning to post this same thing! My Katelyn does this almost every day after her PM nap. I haven't let them watch much tv, but when this started I tried it b/c I was going crazy. Dora is usually on when she wakes up-this will usually snap her out of it. I wish I could do it another way though.