Waking during the night :(

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by busymomof3, Dec 24, 2009.

1. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My oldest son who was always a good sleeper has been waking up at night on a regular basis anywhere between 1-3am. Usually he just asks to be tucked back in and goes back to sleep but lately he has been staying up for up to two hours :headbang: I don't know what to do anymore as this is driving me nuts!!
    He goes to bed at 8:30pm sometimes I am able to get him asleep by 8pm and he doesn't usually get up for the day until 8am(rarely but sometimes he will stay sleeping till 8:30-9am. He doesn't nap during the day anymore because when he does then I fight with him until 10-11pm to get him to go to sleep.
    My twins have been sleeping through the night for two months now so they are not the reason he is waking. I am at my wits end and anything you might be able to tell me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Svetty

Svetty Member

Are you mindful about what your son eats or drinks leading up to bed? I know if I have anything sweet or sugary (including fruit or yogurt) after 3pm I then wake up during the night and I just can't get back to sleep for ages. :shok:

3. busymomof3

Yeah I think so, usually he doesn't get a snack after supper. His eating habits haven't changed at all yet its only been for the last week and a half that he has decided to be up. He rarely gets things with sugar in them because they make him crazy and its impossible to deal with him. I don't know what else to do :(

4. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Mine did this not too long ago, but we figured out it was 2 year molars. I think yours is well past the teething problems, right? Does he wake up crying or scared? Do you think he is having bad dreams or something of that sort? Is that why he wants you to come tuck him back in?? I don't really know, nor do I have any suggestions. Just trying to brainstorm for you.

Another thought...I know several moms on here had reported wakings at night and come to find out it was ear infections. Does he have any congestion, runny nose or those types of symptoms right now?

5. busymomof3

Thanks for your reply, he is past the point of teething. He doesn't wake up scared or crying he just comes to our room and usually tries to sneak into bed with us but that never works so then he just wants to be tucked back in. He isn't sick right now and he already has tubes in his ears so there shouldn't be an infection. He hasn't complained about his ears bothering him for a good year and a half now. We are thinking maybe he is getting to warm. Last night I closed his register and he didn't get up at all but I don't know if that was just a coincidence? I guess we will see if it continues to work.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

It's funny you mentioned that he might be getting too hot. Our DS has been waking up at night as well. DH and I were just talking and thought it might be from him getting too cold. :unknw: Who knows? Hopefully you all will be having some blissful sleep soon!