Wakes up early crying...1 year molars maybe?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Feb 7, 2009.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

For the 2 weeks or so, Josh has been very cranky throughout the day. When he wakes up in the morning or from his nap, he's usually crying. Prior to this, he would sleep until 7:00-7:30 and lately, he's been getting up earlier and earlier. This morning he was up at 5:30. Same with his naps, he'll only sleep 1 - 1 1/2 hours where as before it was at least 2 hours.

When he wakes, especially in the morning, he'll be crying. Today, he cried for over 30 minutes. I tried putting him in bed with me but that did nothing. I gave him some motrin which took awhile to kick in. Now he seems to be doing ok.

He's also a little late in his milestones. He just started to crawl a month ago on his first birthday(we're doing EI). So I don't know if he trying to practice pulling to stand in his crib and getting upset or if it's his teeth. :unsure: He does not wake during the night, but just gets up earlier and earlier.

I posted last week thinking he had milk intolerance but I've cut out all dairy and he's still crabby.

He's always been such an easy going little guy so to see him like this is just so hard because I know something is going on with him, but I just don't know what.

Thanks

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I wish I had answers for you. We have the same problem with one of our girls. She's nowhere close to getting her molars, but I do think her waking is related to getting teeth. She's got 6 right now and I think the other two are coming in now. Is there any way you can give him some ibuprofen later at night without waking him totally? Maybe you could sneak some Motrin into him around midnight and it would hold him until 6:00 or 7:00. We can get that to work for us once in a while.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

He might be teething. Those molars are difficult. We've also used teething tablets to help with the pain, those might work in addition to Motrin. Good luck!

4. cjk2002

Maybe you could sneak some Motrin into him around midnight and it would hold him until 6:00 or 7:00

I was thinking of doing that tonight. It happened again when he woke from his nap. I gave him tylenol about 1/2 hour before his nap hoping that would help. He did sleep a little over 2 hours but woke up crying and that lasted a good 1/2 hour or so until the motrin kicked in. I can tell he's in pain because he'll arch his back when I try to hold him, but when I let him down, he wants to be picked up again. After the motrin kicked in he was fine the rest of the afternoon.

I think I may have felt something on his lower left side, but I'm not sure. This has been going on for over two weeks and it's only one tooth :eek:

5. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Did he sleep better last night?

6. cjk2002

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Feb 8 2009, 10:28 AM) [snapback]1181566[/snapback]
    Did he sleep better last night?

Yes he did...thanks. About 10:30 I snuck in there and gave him motrin (could not stay up until midnight :D ) He still woke at 6:00 but was doing his usual happy talking. I got up with him and let Jake sleep. Around 7:00 I woke Jake and Josh started to get cranky so I gave him another dose. He's been fine so far. I just put them down for their nap so I'll see how he is when he wakes up.

7. cjk2002

**Update**
    Motrin wore off. He's only been down for and hour and woke crying. I gave him another dose and I'm trying to let him cio and I hope he'll fall back asleep.

Tylenol does nothing for him or Hyland Teething Tablets. Any other ideas?????

8. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

About that time, my kids started waking up cranky and, DS especially would be inconsolable after waking from a nap. I did alot of reading and research and finally attributed it to "sleep inertia." It is just the transition from sleeping to wakfullness where you feel drowsy and are trying to wake up all the way. But for kids, it is disorientating, scary and somewhat stressing so they get in a foul mood. DS would be ill for hours after waking and nothing helped, but DD quickly perks up after some cuddling and a Dora video. For DS, it got less and less frequent around 2 years and is all but gone at 3. DD now has on and off days, but not too many cranky mornings. Anyway just a thought.

9. cjk2002

He would not go back to sleep. With all the crying he woke Jake up as well and he would not go back down. They were cranky the rest of the day and I put them to bed at 5:00 (instead of 6:00). Jake went to sleep within 5 minutes, but Josh screamed for 45 minutes before falling asleep.

I don't think it's sleep inertia. Yesterday morning I gave him motrin and he perked up within 30 minutes and was he usual self. This morning he woke up happy & talking. Yesterday when he woke up crying from his nap I again gave him motrin and he was fine within 30 minutes. Today they were both very cranky in the afternoon since they only got maybe an hour of sleep verses their usual 2.

Guess I'll see what tomorrow brings. I may take him into the pedi if this does not get better in the next day or so.