Vitamins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by silver_stardust, Jul 23, 2011.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

My gf gives her 2.5 year vitamins and thinks that I should give my boys some because it seems like everytime I turn around they are sick. Her theory is it can't hurt. She uses the Flinstones brand so I thought I'd check it out. Looking on the back of the box I noticed that the first three ingredients were sugar related. The other brands, I've forgotten their names, had other stuff listed. It really was a quick check on my part and haven't really had a chance to research it. I remember taking them when I was little but not so sure what the take on them now are.

Do any of you give your LO's vitamins? If so, what brand? Any other info too is great!

Thanks!!

2. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

My duo just turn 3 and my DD loves multivitamin gummies, DS-liquid polyvitamins only. I tried Flinstones, they absolutely hated. I heard that at this age kids don't need extra vitamins as they get all they need from food, veggies and fruits.I would agree if my two ate everything I wanted them to eat in regards of balansed meal, but that does not happen. So untill I see they get what they supposed to get I will be giving them multivitamins.

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

We are a big vitamin family here. Started taking all of the below when the boys were around 3 (just because that is when I began learning about them). Here is a post of mine from a few months back....

So last year was the first year my whole family took vitamin D and it was the first year none of us ever got sick....maybe a few very slight colds but nothing that kept them from school or us from doing anything. We dont do the flu shot so I knew I needed to do something to protect us and really could not believe how well it worked. The boys take 1,000 and we take 10,000 ius. We also take a multi vitamin and when we feel a cold coming on, we all take an immune booster pill.

The boys alternate between the following multi because they like them both:

1. Trader Joe gummi vites:a bottle with multi color gummys

2. KAL- Dinosaurs Multisaurus

These can be found also at a health store or vitamin store

3. Multi vitamin gummies NSI- this might be the best value

VITAMIN D:

BOYS- Animal Parade (Natures Plan)- can be found at a reg health store or vitamin store- chewable cherry flavor

OR

Yummi Bears

US- D3- can be found anywhere. We take 10,000 which means we take 2 a day

IMMUNE:
    US- Immuneo-Shield

Kids- chewable- orange flavor

And we all take a probiotic. The boys take this powder. I put a scoop in their orange juice every morning.

Seamus started not liking the powder so now their probiotic is a vitamin (refrigerated) called primadophilus (natures way). It is too expensive though so I need to find a less expensive one.

We take a pill probiotic called Florajen. I used to take a brand called Healthy Trinity but it was so expensive so now I take a cheaper one.

If you walk in to a health store or vitamin store and ask for these things, they will be able to hep you give you advice.

As far as the vitamin D, so many people are lacking. We are supposed to be at 60 and when I got my blood tested after being on it for 3 months, I was in the mid 30's and my boys were in the high 20's.
    [/quote]

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My kids take the Kirkland kids chewables. They really like them. I also add flaxmeal into their food (baked goods, applesauce, yogurt, etc.) as often as I can since we don't eat much fish in our family. Flaxmeal provides essential fatty acids and fiber. Add 2 tablespoons to most baked goods.

DH and I take vitamins as well (multivitamins, calcium for me, and flax pills).

5. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We started one gummy multi vitamin each morning after I read a study that kids with milk allergies who took a multi vitamin were 40% more likely to outgrow their allergies by age 5. DS has a milk allergy and even getting touched by milk gives him a red hive rash on contact so we figured anything that might help would be worth it. We had to call it their "morning candy" to get them to eat them at first, but now they ask for it. Our ped also recommended them because toddlers aren't the best eaters so they don't always get the nutrients they need from food.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids get a gummy multi-vitamin every day. I also take a daily multi-vitamin and D-3 daily.

7. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about them. My boys do not take them, but they also don't eat the best throughout the entire week. They eat well at school, but beyond that I don't cook much at all. So I'll have to look in to it.

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine have been taking the gummy vitamins (usually Lil Critters but Target makes their up and up brand which are the same) - Tony and I take them too and I can honestly say that they seem to be working in that Abby only had one sick visit last winter to the pedi and Ian didn't have any!

9. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

We give our kids vitamins every day and have since they were old enough. We give them the gummy bear ones and they like them a lot.

10. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

We do chewables (they didn't like the tecture of the gummy's). You can find great natural brands in the same isle of the sugar based vitamins. I give them to my girls everyday because sadly 99% of us don't get all the nutrition we need from food, that's just a fact. I don't think it kept them from getting sick but it helps in other areas that are lacking because they aren't getting 5-7 servings a day of fruits and veggies even though I put flaxseed in their pancakes and other hidden gems in their food! :)... I will look into the Vit D!

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls have taken prescription vitamins since they were infants. I would ask your pedi about it.

12. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I would talk to your kiddos Dr. see what they suggest.

WE have taken vitamins in some form since birth. DH and I also take them.

13. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I take them and so do my kids. I've given the kids vits since they were born! I stared w/ Poly-Vi-Sol drops and now do. Gummies. 1. multi 2. vit D 3. Omega 3 and Vit C plus Echinachea immune support

It makes me feel better!

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We take lots of vitamins. The girls each get a multi (including vitamin D), omega-3, and calcium (that is 3 separate gummis), plus vitamin C in the winter. I have no idea if it helps, but Sarah in particular has a terrible diet, so there is no way she's getting everything she needs from food. I know nutrients from food are better than vitamin supplements, but I figure supplements are better than nothing.

For myself, I take a cal-mag powder drink, fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin D, and sometimes C.

15. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My husband is a big fan of vitamins, so we all take quite a few.

The girls get: gummy multivitamins, vitamin D, vitamin C (in the winter only), calcium, probiotic powder, Omega-3 gummy, and bee pollen.

DH and I take multivitamins, vitamin D, vitamin C (winter), probiotics, Omega-3, calcium, bee pollen, apple cider vinegar with mother culture, and activated mushroom pills for immune support.

We all also eat wheat germ, chia, blackstrap molasses, flax seeds, etc. to help get additional nutrients since we eat mostly vegetarian. We're generally a really healthy family so I think the extra vitamins help. If you could only add one thing to your kids' diets I'd recommend raw bee pollen, which is sold by local honey farmers. It's literally the pollen that bees pick up on their legs while visiting flowers and is loaded with more vitamins and minerals ounce for ounce than any other substance out there.

1 person likes this.
  16. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

Alden and Tricia,
    Where do you buy your kiddos' vitamins??