vitamins and supplements

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Oct 30, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

1. do you give your LOs a multi and if so, what brand?
    2. does the multi contain fluoride or do you not give your LOs fluoride.
    3. do you give an omega supp?
    4. do you give additional vitamin d and if so, how much? if not, why not?
    5. do you give your LOs anything else? a probiotic?

LOL :grouphug:
    :-D

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

We don't give our babies supplements because they get enough vitamins from their fruits, veggies, and milk. We used to give the girls probiotics when they were having a hard time digesting their formula, but once we switched to cow's milk that problem stopped.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1. During the SY, just DD, she got Poly Vi Sol with Iron since she was a little low on iron. After age 2 both kids started on a daily multi-vitamin (dd Flinstones chewable and DS gummy vitamins-only ones he will take).
    2. Not sure if it contains fluoride, but our water has it, so I don't worry about it.
    3. No.
    4. No. I think they get enough from what the multi-vitamin has and their diet
    5. No. I will give them Activia yogurt if they are on an antibiotic.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i don't give my kids anything additional, just a healthy, varied (as varied as toddlers get :rolleyes:) diet. should a specific issue arise, or my doctor were to recommend a supplement for a specific issue, i would at that point.

our dentist said there was no need to give extra flouride - our water supply has enough here.

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We do a liquid mulitvitamin with fluoride because we live in the country and have well water. I probably would give no vitamins at all if we had fluoridated water because my guys eat a pretty varied diet, but the fluoride is the deal breaker. I'm not sure of the brand, but it's a prescription and it does have added vitamin D.

As far as omega fatty acids go, I do add flax seed oil to their milk occasionally (esp. Nate who has constipation) and feed them fatty fish sometimes. Probiotics only get ingested when they eat yogurt (about twice a week).

If you're worried about vitamin D, then some non-midday sun exposure is probably the best source you can find. Most milk in the US has vitamin D added, but a few minutes of sun every day can really help. :good:

6. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Yes to all!! they get a multi, vit-D (800iu), omega 3 fish oil in their smoothies, and probiotics. I have two that are terrible eaters with bad stomachs so we find this combo very beneficial.

7. jaclynkoehl

jaclynkoehl Well-Known Member

Our pedi recommends that all kids get a vitamin D supplement so we use one dose of Enfamil D Vi Sol per kid per day (or as often as I remember which is slightly less than once a day :/ )

I also give the kids a container of the baby food fruit with the DHA a couple times a week. They think it's a HUGE treat and I look at it as a compromise on giving them a regular supplement vs. just relying on their normal diet.

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We have a presciption for Vitamin D and Fluoride which is government funded where I live.

Apart from that, no supplements. They eat a pretty healthy mixed diet and we use oil high in omega for cooking for the babies, they love fish and yoghurt.

9. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

We did poly vi sol when they were younger (until around 1) and then gave them nothing for the second year. Mostly because the poly vi sol tastes so bad. Now that they turned 2, the pedi recommended giving them a multi vitamin - like flintstone or whatever - mostly for the vitamin D.

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

pedi gave us Tri Vi sol when they were a year old and it gave my kids gas so bad we had to discontinue it - since they were about 3 they get (and DH and I take too) 2 gummy vitamins per day (either Members Mark brand or whatever is on sale at Sam's Club)...I've noticed that they do get sick a bit less....

our first venture into probiotics was this week when they were on abx for an ear infection - worked really well - no diarrhea!

11. Bestian

Bestian Well-Known Member

I like to try different vitamin complexes and especially a variety of dietary supplements. Most often they have a natural and safe composition, so the worst result I can get is no result. I’m currently taking Gundry MD Bio Complete 3. This is a new dietary supplement for me, which I learned about here https://www.gundrymdbiocomplete3.com/, but I’m already noticing that there is an effect and it’s more than great. At least I no longer feel discomfort in my stomach after eating, and this is already very good.