vitamin question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sjoprice, Jan 27, 2008.

1. sjoprice

sjoprice Well-Known Member

Hi all! I've been giving my girls gummi vitamins 1x per day, but I've just looked on the back of the bottle and it says that you can give them up to 2x per day. Do any of you give them 2x per day (morning and evening)? I notice that takes some of the vitamins over the 100% mark, and I certainly don't want to give them too much. However, I also see that the dosage becomes far less potent at 4 and we're just about 3. Thanks!

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I mostly do just one per day.

Great to see you by the way!!!

3. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

HI,

My kids' dentist said that gummy vitamins were the worst thing you can give kids next to juice. I guess it lets sugars sit next to the teeth and with the vitamins you can get blackening of the teeth etc. the term caries comes to mind.

I'd talk to a dentist about this... there are probably better products to give your kids if they really need vits.

Teri D

4. ldwa

ldwa Well-Known Member

um, guilty mom here, my son eats the gummi vitamins too (but we do brush his teeth!). I give him 2x day. actually, dh gobbles them, too. [and he wouldn't eat the other kind] I wondered about the too much (over 100%) stuff too- but there was a day when my son ate both his vitamins then ate one of my pre-natal vitamins-- eeewwwwww! it was also my first call to poison control. turns out he could have eaten at least another whole dose of his & mine and still been okay- so I don't worry so much anymore. for the most part, vitamins tend to be water soluble, so any excess just goes in one end and out the other.

hth!

5. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

I think your concern about overdosing your kids on vitamins is very valid! And, kudos to you for being aware of this. I don't think most people are as concerned as you. This was a major concern of mine as well and something I feel very passionate about, so I know where you are coming from.

I can tell you this...Water soluable vitamins, such as vitamin c, you don't need to worry too much about. If we don't use these they get flushed down the toilet after we are done with them. But you do need to be concerned with fat soluable vitamins such as vitamins A & E. These hang out in the fatty deposits in our body if we don't use all of them. I see a lot of supplements that have high dosages of vitamin A or E in their products because they are good antioxidants, but you can get too many of them too, which you need to be careful of.

Personally, my family takes Juice Plus. It is 17 fruits and veggies in a capsule, chewable or gummie. It is very safe, which is one of the reasons I looked into it for my kids. Since it's just food, you can't overdose on it. I have a friend whose daughter ate almost a 2 month supply of the vegetable gummies in one sitting. If this was a vitamin gummie, she would have been in the hospital getting her stomach pumped. But, since it was just food, she was fine. That impressed me!

I was surprised to see the research that was done on Juice Plus at major medical universities including Yale. It's quite impressive. After realizing just how beneficial it was, I decided I wanted to share it with others and signed up to be a rep for the company. So if you would like more info, please feel free to pm. I'm happy to send some info your way. I used to work for a chain of health food stores and I know the supplement industry well. It can be a challenge to find something that is safe and effective.

BTW, if your kids are taking Lil' Critter Gummie Vitamins, please be careful. These were written up in Oprah's magazine in June 2004 for testing positive for LEAD! :eek: When faced with this information, the company never did a recall nor did they pull the items off the shelves, they simply said it was a bad batch. I have a copy of the article in a .pdf format if you would like to see it. As you can tell, there are no regulations for vitamins and supplements. This just gets me mad as I type this - all these parents and kids that didn't know what was in these gummies - and definitely wasn't listed on the ingredients. All the Lead recalls we have these days are crazy, and now it could be in our vitamins too. Uggh! (BTW, just in case you are curious, Juice Plus was 1 of the 7 supplements out of 100 tested that passed Oprah's tests - to determine if they were safe, and if it contained what it said on the label.)

HTH. :)

6. sjoprice

sjoprice Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the info! We do take Little Critter, but maybe not anymore! We also brush our teeth. :D

7. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blessedby2 @ Jan 28 2008, 03:05 AM) [snapback]592507[/snapback]
    Personally, my family takes Juice Plus. It is 17 fruits and veggies in a capsule, chewable or gummie. It is very safe, which is one of the reasons I looked into it for my kids. Since it's just food, you can't overdose on it. I have a friend whose daughter ate almost a 2 month supply of the vegetable gummies in one sitting. If this was a vitamin gummie, she would have been in the hospital getting her stomach pumped. But, since it was just food, she was fine. That impressed me!

wow, i'm really curious about this product. i must read more. DH and I have both had bad reactions to multi-vitamins having overdosing percentages of certain things. And those prenatal vitamins made my nausea so much worse. It'd be really great if a product like this worked for my family.

How do they squeeze all that great stuff into little capsules? Where can you buy them?

8. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blessedby2 @ Jan 28 2008, 03:05 AM) [snapback]592507[/snapback]

We take these, too! I give mine 3 a day...they LOVE them!!

9. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation for Juice Plus. I am going to check into it and most likely will place an order.

Diana w/Rianna and Justin

10. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

My girls take a chewable multivitamin by prescription from their pediatrician. They are inexpensive though. Maybe that could be another option.

11. blessedby2

QUOTE(Safari @ Jan 28 2008, 01:35 AM) [snapback]592704[/snapback]
    wow, i'm really curious about this product. i must read more. DH and I have both had bad reactions to multi-vitamins having overdosing percentages of certain things. And those prenatal vitamins made my nausea so much worse. It'd be really great if a product like this worked for my family.

How do they squeeze all that great stuff into little capsules? Where can you buy them?

Juice Plus is processed by juicing the food at very low temps to maintain the nutrients. The water, sugar and salt are removed. Some of the fiber that was lost in the juicing process is added back in. Then, it is made into a powder and put into capsules, chewables or gummies. It is great! My DH and I take it along with our kids, and other family and friends too.

You can only buy them through a rep like me. Here's my website: Juice Plus+ On a side note, you can order from the corporate website, but those orders are split up among many distributors and you won't know who is getting credit for your order, and you might not even hear from them (sad to say). I will keep in touch with you, and I know what it is like to raise twins because I am a twin mom too.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

12. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

QUOTE(avaoliviamom @ Jan 28 2008, 07:51 AM) [snapback]592784[/snapback]
    My girls take a chewable multivitamin by prescription from their pediatrician.

Same here. We just need to finish up the brown yucky stuff first!

13. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blessedby2 @ Jan 27 2008, 10:05 PM) [snapback]592507[/snapback]
    I think your concern about overdosing your kids on vitamins is very valid! And, kudos to you for being aware of this. I don't think most people are as concerned as you. This was a major concern of mine as well and something I feel very passionate about, so I know where you are coming from.

I can tell you this...Water soluable vitamins, such as vitamin c, you don't need to worry too much about. If we don't use these they get flushed down the toilet after we are done with them. But you do need to be concerned with fat soluable vitamins such as vitamins A & E. These hang out in the fatty deposits in our body if we don't use all of them. I see a lot of supplements that have high dosages of vitamin A or E in their products because they are good antioxidants, but you can get too many of them too, which you need to be careful of.

I was surprised to see the research that was done on Juice Plus at major medical universities including Yale. It's quite impressive. After realizing just how beneficial it was, I decided I wanted to share it with others and signed up to be a rep for the company. So if you would like more info, please feel free to pm. I'm happy to send some info your way. I used to work for a chain of health food stores and I know the supplement industry well. It can be a challenge to find something that is safe and effective.

BTW, if your kids are taking Lil' Critter Gummie Vitamins, please be careful. These were written up in Oprah's magazine in June 2004 for testing positive for LEAD! :eek: When faced with this information, the company never did a recall nor did they pull the items off the shelves, they simply said it was a bad batch. I have a copy of the article in a .pdf format if you would like to see it. As you can tell, there are no regulations for vitamins and supplements. This just gets me mad as I type this - all these parents and kids that didn't know what was in these gummies - and definitely wasn't listed on the ingredients. All the Lead recalls we have these days are crazy, and now it could be in our vitamins too. Uggh! (BTW, just in case you are curious, Juice Plus was 1 of the 7 supplements out of 100 tested that passed Oprah's tests - to determine if they were safe, and if it contained what it said on the label.)

You beat me to it! :p

My girls also take JuicePlus, and have been for almost a year. One of the greatest benefits on JuicePlus is the boost in their immune system. My girls have only been sick once in a 10 month period. Plus, I know they get all the nutrition they need for the whole day even if they're going through a anti-fruit/veggie stage. Dr Sears has a nice right up about JuicePlus on his website that explains a lot if you'd like to check it out.

14. blessedby2

QUOTE(blessedby2 @ Jan 27 2008, 09:05 PM) [snapback]592507[/snapback]

Sorry to be pulling this post out of the archives but several months ago someone has flagged this on another website commenting that I misstated the Oprah article and has attached my name as well as this post. So, I feel it is time to clear it up.

Here is the statement in question: "BTW, just in case you are curious, Juice Plus was 1 of the 7 supplements out of 100 tested that passed Oprah's tests - to determine if they were safe, and if it contained what it said on the label."

And, my comments...First, the Oprah test was done at Consumer Labs, not by Oprah. I don't my post implied that but someone else thinks so. Secondly, Consumer Labs has tested 100's of supplements over the years. The test that Oprah reported on in her June 2004 issue is for a test done by Consumer Labs on 40 supplements. Lastly, the test was done to prove if the products had what they listed on the label. Product "safety" was not part of the Consumer Labs test - even though some products were shown to have harmful ingredients (i.e. - Lead). Most importantly, the intent of my statement was not to be misleading. I offered then, and the offer still stands, for me to email anyone a copy of this Oprah June 2004 article so that they can read it for themselves.

Thanks for reading.

15. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

my kids and I take Shaklee products which you can purchase through me. see shaklee.net for more info on the products.

16. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Cindy and for others of you who are experts in that area, can you tell me your thoughts on the following...

1. Dinosaurs supplements for kids- Multisaurus Vitamins and Minerals (Innovative Quality KAL)

2. Dinosaurs supplements for kids- Immuno-Raptor (innovative Quality KAL)

3. Natures Plus- Animal Parade Childrens Chewable Fruit and Veggies

4. Chewable Acidophilus (American Health)

Even though some of the above say to give a few a day, I give 1 of the above every day (or when I remember I should say)