Video Game System

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by guestd, Nov 7, 2007.

1. guestd

guestd Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting our 6yr old a video game system for Christmas. He has a Gameboy and a DS. And he has had those plug and play games for the TV, but they don't seem to last very long. I don't want to spend alot of $$ because they seem to come out with bigger and better ones every year. So, I kind of want an inexpensive starter that still has games available to buy. I was thinking about the Playstation 2. Any recommendations?

2. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Personally, we have an xBox 360 right now and a Wii. For a six year old, I'd recommend the Wii. Many of the games are quite interactive and it's just fun!! There are lots of games that adults enjoy as well so the whole family can get in on the action.

3. guestd

guestd Well-Known Member

I was thinking about a Wii too, but I have heard they are hard to find. Where did you get yours?

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

We have a Wii also, and I recommend it! I got ours at Costco.

5. Mama_Kim

We got ours last year, but I have two friends who both recently were able to find one at Target.

6. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

My boys got a Wii for their birthday in August and enjoy it. There are quite a few kids games for it and more coming out every day. I like it for them because the controller is more interactive than just moving your fingers on a control pad or joystick. We got ours on Ebay--it was a package that includes two controllers and two nunchuks, which you might want to see if you can find so both your kids will have their own. I think it was a little over $400.

7. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

We love our Wii, but if you really want one for Christmas, start looking NOW. Dh is an avid gamer, and he told me that Nintendo doesn't think they'll have enough to meet the Christmas demand.

8. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

We got the girls a Wii for their birthday and they love it! I feel better that they are up moving and not just sitting there stationary playing a game. Not that the Wii replaces outside activity or sports, but with some games (like boxing), I even get a work out. It really is fun to play too!!

9. Aurelyn

Aurelyn Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Wii here. We love to play the Wii Sports, which comes with the console. We also have Madden 07 and Cars.

10. Mama_Kim

Another bonus, adults can play too. There is a Dancing With the Stars game and they will be coming out with Wii Fit, an exercise program, I think in the spring.

11. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My sister just got a Wii on Amazon.com about a week ago. They are already hard to find in the stores. She signed up for some service that emails her when a popular item comes in stock, she got the email, bought the Wii and then 5 minutes later they were out of stock. I would recommend starting now if you are going to get it.

12. Ella

Ella Well-Known Member

The Wii is a ton of fun but they're already sold out of most stores. I have a cousin who was able to get put on a list at gamestop, try that.

13. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

My 9-year olds want a Wii, too, but alas, it's over our budget...even if they were readily available! Thus far, we have NO video game systems. I've been fighting (and winning ;) ) against it for years. I just don't want them sitting and playing a game with all their free time, oh plus dominating the familyroom TV with it! The Wii, however, I think would be the way we'd go...perhaps the price with come down in the next year or so.... :blush: .

14. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Nintendo is much better for children's games than any other system. If a Wii (which we love) is out of your price range, get a Gamecube or even p/u an older system. Your 6 yr old will love it.

15. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

ditto on the Wii. It is the only system the boys are allowed to play. They just got it for their 7th birthday. I too fought the video game monster for years. Mom and Dad love it too. Great for family get togethers. difficult to find, but still possible.

16. Tonka

Tonka Well-Known Member

Oh, you guys have got me thinking about the Wii I have in the closet, but it's a Christmas gift. My mom bought me one several months ago at Target. You just need to keep checking in at places to get them. It might easier to have an after Christmas present!!

17. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The Wii would be awesome but I doubt you'll be able to find one before Christmas. Our kids are getting one but I bought it back in August, I even had to get a line # back then to make sure I got one.

My 2nd choice would be the Nintendo Gamecube. That's what we have now and our kids really enjoy it. I bought an extra one (used) the other day at GameStop for only $30.

18. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

Add me to the Wii bandwagon. We lucked out and got the last one at Target one time. It seems on certain weekends, they'll be in all the ads (Target, Best Buy, etc.) and they do sell fast. I know here, you can get a Sunday paper on Saturday with all the ads, so then you'd know if it was going to be a shipment weekend and you could get to the store early. When we got ours, Best Buy had only had 12 come in on their shipment but Target got 30. Games for the Wii are somewhat pricey, though some have come down, but I really like how interactive the games are. You can really work up a sweat, which is definitely a good thing!